2016 年股东大会 · 下午场
在网上销售商业保险?
Sell commercial insurance on the internet?
沃伦·巴菲特好。请大家就座,我们要开始了。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. If you'll take your seats, we'll get underway.
克利夫·加兰特谢谢。伯克希尔有一个商业保险业务的在线门户,我相信是 CoverYourBusiness.com。商业险种领域是否存在直接销售的机会,就像我们在 GEICO 的个人汽车保险业务中看到的那样?
CLIFF GALLANTThank you. Berkshire has an online portal for commercial insurance business. I believe it's CoverYourBusiness.com. Is there an opportunity in commercial lines to go direct akin to what we've seen GEICO do in personal auto insurance?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。这个问题的答案是我们会找到的。我们实际上有两个线上安排。我不确定它们是否都已经上线。一个叫——我相信叫 Big。我想我们拿到了那个域名,B-I-G,它将由 Applied Underwriters 运营,这是我们旗下处理工伤保险的一个子公司。另一个由阿吉特(贾恩)负责。而且,实际上,我们也通过 GEICO 做一些商业车险业务。所以我们很快就会知道——我想我关于继承财富的信息正在这里传递。(笑声)这孩子可能现在就想把自己送去领养了。(笑声)那么——我们将——我们已经做了一些尝试,并且会继续在各种保险品种上做更多实验。你看看已经发生的一切,比如就拿亚马逊来说,你总得——你想尝试很多事情。个人车险的咨询从电话迁移到互联网的速度快得让我吃惊,你知道吗,我本以为年轻人会这么做,但像我这样的人会很慢。但美国公众对互联网回应的适应,确实相当惊人,而且丝毫没有放缓的迹象。所以答案是,我们会尝试各种事情,也会犯一些错误,而我猜想,10 年、20 年、30 年后,情况会大不相同。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, the answer to that is we'll find out. We have actually two online arrangements. I'm not sure whether they're both up yet. One is called — I believe it's called Big. I think we got that domain name, B-I-G, and that will be run by the Applied Underwriters, which is a subsidiary of ours that writes workers comp. And the other is run by Ajit [Jain]. And then, actually, we do commercial auto, some commercial auto, through GEICO as well, so we will learn soon — I guess my message about inherited wealth is getting delivered here. (Laughter) The kid probably wants to put himself up for adoption now. (Laughter) The — so we will be — we have been a little bit, and we will be experimenting more with various insurance lines. When you look at what has happened, you know, just take Amazon, you have to — you want to try a lot of things, and it amazed me how fast the inquiries on personal auto migrated from phone to the internet, and, you know, I would've thought that the younger people would do it, but the people like myself would be very slow to do it. But the adaptation by the American public of internet response has really been pretty incredible and shows no sign of slowing down. So the answer is, we'll try various things and we'll make some mistakes, and my guess is that 10 and 20 and 30 years from now, it'll be a lot different.
我们的文化将持续“很多很多个十年”
Our culture will endure for "many, many decades"
沃伦·巴菲特8 号台。
WARREN BUFFETTStation 8.
现场股东嗨。我叫马特·克莱伯恩,来自俄亥俄州哥伦布市。感谢你们为我们所有人举办这个活动。我的问题是:您之前说过,您的角色会分成几个部分来交班,其中一个部分是通过让(儿子)霍华德(巴菲特)担任非执行董事长来维护文化。当霍华德不再担任这个角色时,保持伯克希尔文化的计划是什么?几十年后,当我也到了您这个年纪,股东们应该关注什么,以确保文化得到妥善维护?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHi. My name is Matt Clayborn from Columbus, Ohio. And thank you for putting this on for all of us. My question is: you have said before that your role will be divided into parts for your succession, one of which will be the responsibility of maintaining culture by having [son] Howard [Buffett] as non-executive chairman. What is the plan for how Berkshire will maintain its culture when Howard no longer fills the role, and what should shareholders watch for to make sure that the culture is being properly maintained decades from now when I am your age?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。这显然是我们认真思考过的问题,尽管我希望霍华德担任董事长,原因仅仅是,如果在选择继任者时犯了错误,有非执行董事长会更容易纠正。但那是非常、非常——我意思是,那是百分之一甚至千分之一的概率,但完全忽略它也没什么意义。这不是关键因素。主要的——到目前为止,维持伯克希尔文化的主要因素是你有一个董事会,并且会有继任的董事会成员。你有经理人,也会有继任的经理人。还有股东,他们清楚认识到这种文化的特殊性质,并欣然接受了这种文化。当他们把企业卖给我们时,他们就想加入这种文化。它——它会排挤那些确实不认同它的人,这种人很少。它拥抱那些享受并欣赏它的人,而且我认为,在某种程度上,我们在这方面没有多少竞争对手。所以它变得非常容易识别,并且行之有效。所以我认为我们脱离文化轨道的可能性,真的非常、非常、非常微小,无论有没有非执行董事长。但这只是一层小小的额外保护。所以——我认为伯克希尔面临的主要问题是规模,我一直——我刚开始管理资金时就这么想。规模在很大程度上是业绩的敌人。但我确实认为,伯克希尔的文化显著提升了其各个组成部分的个体价值。而且我看不到任何证据表明,会有任何董事会成员、任何经理人,或者任何东西——能够以任何方式真正偏离我们现在的文化,哪怕在非常、非常多的十年里。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, that's a question we've obviously given a lot of thought to, and although I hope that Howard is made chairman just for the reason that if a mistake is made in selecting a successor, it's easier to correct it if you have a non-executive chairman. But that's a very, very — I mean, that's a 1-in-100 or 1-maybe-in-500 probability, but there's no sense ignoring it totally. It's not a key factor. The main — by far, the main factor in keeping Berkshire's culture is that you have a board and you'll have successor board members. You have managers and you'll have successor managers. And you have shareholders that clearly recognize the special nature of the culture, that have embraced the culture. When they sold their businesses to us, they wanted to join that culture. It's a — it thrusts out people that really aren't in tune with it, and there are very few of them. And it embraces those who enjoy and appreciate it, and I think, to some extent, we don't have a lot of competition on it. So it becomes very identifiable, and it works. So I think the chances of us going off the rails in terms of culture are really very, very, very slight, regardless of whether there's a non-executive chairman or not. But that's just a small added protection. So it's — I think that the main problem that Berkshire will have will be size, and I've always — I thought that when I was managing money, when I first started managing money. Size is the enemy of performance to a significant degree. But I do think that the culture of Berkshire adds significantly to the value of the individual components viewed individually. And I don't see any evidence that there'd be any board member, any managers, or anything that would — could in any way really move away from what we have now for many, many decades. Charlie?
查理·芒格我比你更乐观。
CHARLIE MUNGERI'm even more optimistic than you are.
沃伦·巴菲特我从没注意到这点。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTI've never noticed it. (Laughter)
查理·芒格我确实认为这种文化会让所有人吃惊——它会持续多久,以及它会有多好。他们会想,当初为什么还要对我们大惊小怪。它会运转得非常棒。
CHARLIE MUNGERI really think the culture is going to surprise everybody — how well it lasts — and how well they do. They're going to wonder why they ever made any fuss over us in the first place. It's going to work very well.
沃伦·巴菲特我们在业务和人方面已经有了那么多好的要素,你知道——在那些公司里。
WARREN BUFFETTWe've got so many good ingredients in place just in terms of the businesses and people already here, you know, that — at the companies.
查理·芒格我就是这个意思。
CHARLIE MUNGERThat's what I'm saying.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
查理·芒格那里有太多的力量在发挥作用。
CHARLIE MUNGERThere's just so much power in place.
沃伦·巴菲特另一件有趣的事情是,我们的员工流动率有多低。所以——过去十年我们需要替换的经理人数非常少。你知道,我们没有退休年龄,我每次会议都会提这件事以强化这个理念,但是——没有退休年龄,人们因为热爱工作而工作——他们也喜欢钱——但他们的主要动机是他们确实喜欢在工作中取得成就。这意味着我们的经理人任期很长。所以流动率低,董事们来这儿不是为了钱,所以我们的董事任期也很长,我认为这是一个巨大的优势。它会持续很长时间。
WARREN BUFFETTAnother thing that's interesting is how little turnover we get in it, too. So that — the number of managers that have been needed, that we've had to replace in the last ten years, are very few. You know, without a retirement age, and I tend to bring that up at every meeting to reinforce the idea, the — but without a retirement age and with people working because they love their jobs — and they like the money as well — but their primary motive is that they really like accomplishing what they do in their jobs. And that means that we get long tenure out of our managers. So the turnover is low, the directors are not here for the money, and so we have great tenure among the directors, and I would argue that's a huge plus. It's going to go on a very long time.
在选择伯克希尔董事时,多元化并非考量因素
Diversity isn't a factor in choosing Berkshire directors
沃伦·巴菲特安德鲁。
WARREN BUFFETTAndrew.
安德鲁·罗斯·索金谢谢,沃伦。下面这个问题来自 Ariz Galdos(音),还有几位股东问了类似的问题,一并包含在内。这算是一个多部分问题。
ANDREW ROSS SORKINThank you, Warren. The following question comes from Ariz Galdos (PH), and several other shareholders asked similar questions that are a part of this as well. It's a bit of a multipart question.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯哼。
WARREN BUFFETTUh-uh.
安德鲁·罗斯·索金“大约有二十多位男女同事和您一起在总部办公室工作,沃伦。我看到去年年报里的照片质量提高了,恭喜你们。不过,看着这张照片,有一点谁都会注意到,那就是员工队伍缺乏多元化。2015 年,Calvert Investments 的一项分析发现,可口可乐是职场多元化方面表现最好的公司之一,而伯克希尔·哈撒韦则是最差的之一。您曾明确表示,在招聘领导职位和董事会成员时,不会把多元化作为考虑因素。这一点需要改变吗?我们是否因此错过了某些投资机会?还有,在分析一家可能想要收购的公司的价值时,您是否会考虑公司管理团队和员工的多元化(无论怎么定义)?”
ANDREW ROSS SORKIN"About two dozen men and women work with you, Warren, at our corporate office. I see from last year the quality of the picture has been improved in the annual report, so congratulations on that. "However, looking at it, there is something that comes to anyone's attention and is the lack of diversity among the staff. A 2015 analysis by Calvert Investments found that Coca-Cola was one of the best companies for workplace diversity while Berkshire Hathaway was one of the worst. "You've explicitly stated that you do not consider diversity when hiring for leadership roles and board members. Does that need to change? Are we missing any investment opportunities as a result? "And do you consider diversity, however defined, of company leadership and staff when analyzing the value of a company that you may want to purchase?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,这是个多部分问题。对最后一部分的回答是“不”。之前那部分是什么?(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTWell, it's a multiple part question. The answer to the last one is no. What was the one before it? (Laughter)
安德鲁·罗斯·索金“您明确表示过,在招聘领导职位和董事会成员时,不考虑多元化。这一点需要改变吗?我们是否因此错过了任何投资机会?”
ANDREW ROSS SORKIN"You've explicitly stated you do not consider diversity when hiring for leadership roles and board members. Does that need to change, and are we missing any investment opportunities as a result?"
沃伦·巴菲特不。我们会挑选董事会成员,而且我们明确列出了标准。我们多年来一直这么做,而且我认为我们比大多数公司都更明确。我们寻找的是有商业头脑、以股东为导向、并且对伯克希尔有特殊兴趣的人。我们找到了这样的人。因此,我认为我们拥有了所能拥有最好的董事会。他们参与进来——他们显然不是为了钱才来的。我接到过一些咨询公司的电话,他们受委托为其他公司寻找董事候选人。从他们问的问题可以明显看出,他们心里想的标准跟我们选董事时看重的三个条件完全不一样。他们真正想要的,是一个名字能给机构增光添彩的人,也就是一个大人物。你知道,最近有一家机构,就是那个用小针头抽血样做检测的公司,他们的董事会里倒是有一些非常响亮的名字。我记得是 Theranos,还是——查理,是这么发音的吗?Theranos?
WARREN BUFFETTNo. We will select board members, and we lay it out. And we've done so for years, and I think we've been much more explicit than most companies. We are looking for people who are business savvy, shareholder oriented, and have a special interest in Berkshire. And we found people like that. And as a result, I think we've got the best board that we could have. They're not in it — they're clearly not in it for the money. I get called by consulting firms who have been told to get candidates for directors for other companies, and by the questions they ask, it's clear they've got something other than the three questions we ask, in terms of directors, in mind. They really want somebody whose name will reflect credit on the institution, which means a big name. You know, and one organization recently, the one that did the blood samples with small pricks, got — they got some very big names on their board. Theranos, I think, or — is that the way you pronounce it, Charlie? Theranos?
查理·芒格是的。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。我是说,这些名字都很好,但我们不感兴趣那些想进董事会是因为想一年赚 20 万到 30 万美元、只花 10% 时间的人。我们也不感兴趣那些为了声望、想打勾走过场的人。所以我想我们已经——我们会继续用这个标准来选人:懂生意、以股东为导向、对伯克希尔有强烈的个人兴趣。我们的股东持有的每一股伯克希尔股票,都是他们自己买的,跟在座的各位一样。他们不是通过期权拿到的,他们也没有——我以前待过的董事会,他们给过我股票,基本上因为我喘气就给我了。有五六个地方吧——可能三四个我待过的董事会。我们希望我们的股东站在——我是说,我们的董事站在股东的立场上。我们希望他们非常关心这门生意,希望他们足够聪明、懂生意、知道该参与什么、不该参与什么。办公室里的那些人——我希望今年拍圣诞合影时,还是去年那 25 个人,哪怕别的地方可能又多了 3 万名员工、多了 100 亿美元的销售额之类的。这是一群了不起的人,他们——我是说,就拿这次股东大会来说吧。这 25 个人里几乎每一个人,我们的首席财务官、我的助理、不管是谁,他们一直在做各种工作,让这次股东大会成功举办、让我们的股东有个愉快的体验。这是一种合作。你觉得会有一个叫“股东大会部”的部门吗?然后有个人负责,她——或者他——会有个助理,然后他们去参加各种关于办股东大会的会议,再然后雇顾问来帮他们办会。我们不那样干。这是个每个人都互相帮忙的地方,但是——(掌声)部分——造就——部分造就了我——呃,我的工作极其轻松,但我身边的人确实让这一切变得轻松。这轻松的另一个原因是,我们没有任何委员会。也许我们有些委员会我不知道,但我在伯克希尔从没被邀请参加过任何委员会,我可以这么说。我们也没有——我们也许在哪儿有个 PowerPoint,我没见过,我反正也不会用。我们就是不搞——我们没有那种没事找事干的活动。我们也许会一起去看场棒球赛或者什么的,但我见过另一种运作方式,我更喜欢我们的,就说到这儿吧。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I mean the names are great, but we're not interested in people that want to be on the board because they want to make 2- or $300,000 a year, you know, for 10 percent of their time. And we're not interested in the ones who — for whom it's a prestige item and who want to go and check boxes or that sort of thing. So I think we've got — we will continue to apply that test: business savvy, shareholder oriented, and with a strong personal interest in Berkshire. And every share of Berkshire that our shareholders own, they bought just like everybody else in this room. They haven't gotten them on an option or they haven't — I've been on boards where they've given me stock, you know, and they — I get it for breathing, basically. Half a dozen places that are — maybe three or four that I was on the board of. We want our shareholders to walk in the shoes — I mean, our directors to walk in the shoes of shareholders. We want them to care a lot about the business, and we want them to be smart enough so that they know enough about business that they know what they should get involved in and what they shouldn't get involved in. The people in the office — I'm hoping that when we take the Christmas picture again this year, they're exactly the same 25 that were there last year, even though we might have added 30,000 employees elsewhere and maybe 10 billion of sales or something like that. It's a remarkable group of people, and they — I mean, just take this meeting. Virtually every one of the 25, our CFO, my assistant, whoever, they've been doing job after job connected with making this meeting a success and a pleasant outing for our shareholders. It's a cooperative effort. The idea that you would have some department called Annual Meeting Department and, you know, you'd have a person in charge of it and she'd — or he — would have an assistant and then they would go to various conferences about holding annual meetings and build up — and then they'd hire consultants to come in and help them on the meeting. We just don't operate that way. It's a place where everybody helps each other, but — (Applause) Part of the — what makes — part of what makes my — well, my job is extraordinarily easy, but the people around me really make it easy. And part of the reason it's easy is because we don't have any committees. Maybe we have some committee I don't know about, but I've never been invited to any committees, I'll put it that way, at Berkshire. And we don't — we may have a PowerPoint someplace, I haven't seen it, and I wouldn't know how to use it anyway. The — we just don't do — we don't have make-work activities. And we might go a to a baseball game together or something like that, but it — I've seen the other kind of operation and I like ours better, I'll put it that way. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,很多年前,我给洛杉矶的罗马天主教大主教做过一些工作。我的资深合伙人很傲慢地说,你知道,你没必要雇我们来做这事,优秀的天主教税务律师有的是。大主教用看白痴一样的目光看着他,说:“皮勒先生,”他说,“去年我接受了一次很严重的手术,我可没有到处去找最好的天主教外科医生。”这就是我对董事会成员的看法。(掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, years ago I did some work for the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles, and my senior partner pompously said, you know, you don't need to hire us to do this. There's plenty of good Catholic tax lawyers. And the archbishop looked at him like he was an idiot and said, "Mr. Peeler," he says," last year I had some very serious surgery, and I did not look around for the leading Catholic surgeon." That's the way I feel about board members. (Applause)
巴菲特对伯克希尔回购的“复杂心情”
Buffett's "mixed emotions" on Berkshire buybacks
沃伦·巴菲特好的。格雷格。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Gregg.
格雷格·沃伦沃伦,虽然——
GREGG WARRENWarren, while —
沃伦·巴菲特格雷格。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTGregg. (Laughter.)
格雷格·沃伦尽管伯克希尔已授权了股票回购计划,最初规定回购价格不得高于最近一期每股账面价值 10% 的溢价,随后该数字被上调至回购价格不得高于账面价值 20% 的溢价,但在过去四年半里,回购活动寥寥无几。即便今年 1 月和 2 月股价曾跌破 1.2 倍账面价值的门槛,若以伯克希尔 2015 年底的每股账面价值为基准来计算回购价格,这一数字在股价跌至该低位时尚未公布。考虑到您相信伯克希尔的内在价值持续超过账面价值,且两者差距随时间不断拉大,我们是否已经到了该考虑以比伯克希尔当前设定水平更高的临界点来启动回购的时候了?另外,如果股价跌破 1.2 倍每股账面价值,即使前一年的账面价值数据尚未公布,您是否会考虑进场回购股票?
GREGG WARRENWhile Berkshire has authorized a share repurchase program, originally aimed at buying back shares at prices no higher than 10 percent premium to the firm's most recent book value per share, a figure that was subsequently increased to repurchase shares at prices no higher than 20 percent premium to book value, there's been relatively little share repurchase activity during the last four-and-a-half years. Even as the shares dipped down below the 1.2 times book value threshold during both January and February of this year, if you base it on a buyback price calculated on Berkshire's book value per share at the end of 2015, a number that had not yet been published when the stock did dip that low. Given your belief that Berkshire's intrinsic value continues to exceed its book value, with the difference continuing to widen over time, are we at a point where it makes sense to consider buying back stock at a higher break point than Berkshire currently has in place, and would you ever consider stepping in and buying back shares if they dip down blow 1.2 times book value per share even if that prior year's figure had not yet been released?
沃伦·巴菲特是的。格雷格,你提到股价跌到 1.2 倍以下,我觉得这不对。我一直盯着这个数字,它曾经很接近 1.2 倍。但我几乎可以保证,它没到过 1.2 倍,否则我们会动手。我很乐意把某一天的数据发给你,如果你觉得那天到了 1.2 倍的话。显然,在我看来、在查理看来、在董事会看来,股票的价值远高于 1.2 倍账面价值,但它理应远高于这个数,否则我们也不会设这个门槛。另一方面,我们确实把门槛从 1.1 倍提高到了 1.2 倍,因为随着时间的推移,我们收购了更多企业,这些企业的内在价值与账面价值的差距,确实比我们当初设 1.1 倍时拉大了很多。我对整件事的心情很复杂。纯粹从财务角度、从持续股东的角度看,我喜欢在 1.2 倍买进,这很可能意味着我也喜欢在略高于 1.2 倍的价格买进。另一方面,我不认为——这是提高每股收益最稳的方法。我是说,如果你能用低于 1 美元的价格买到 1 美元钞票,没有比这更稳的赚钱办法了。但另一方面,我并不是特别喜欢——以低于——远低于我认为股票价值的价格买进我的合伙人的股票这个行为本身。所以——但我们几乎肯定会买股票。我们不做出 100% 的承诺,因为那会带来很多后果,但我们在 1.2 倍或以下买进大量股票的概率极高。不过我们会以一种不支撑任何特定价位的方式去做。如果它发生了,对继续持有的股东会非常好。不过这倒是个挺有意思的情况,因为如果从财务角度看,我们真的愿意甚至渴望以那个价格买进,那它就像是一个储蓄账户:如果你把钱以股息或利息的形式取出来,你拿到 1 美元。但如果你把钱留在里面,你几乎可以保证我们会付给你 1.20 美元。我是说,如果有人可以把留下的钱以 120% 兑现,干嘛还要从储蓄账户里取钱?所以它是个——它起到了一个兜底作用,确保不派息的政策能带来比我们派 1 美元、人们拿到 1 美元更高的回报。如果他们留下 1 美元,在我看来他们至少会得到 1.20 美元,至少——这不是绝对的保证,但概率相当高。那么我们会提高那个数字吗?也许。如果我们想不出主意了,我不是说一天一天地,但如果真的变得明显,我们无法在公司内部有效使用公司产生的那么多资本,那么在某个时点,门槛可能会稍微提高一点,因为买进仍然有吸引力。你不想——你知道,你不想——你不想不停地累积那么多钱,直到它在口袋里烧个洞。实际上,有人说过,鼓鼓的钱包有点像胀满的膀胱,你可能很快就会尿出去,我们可不想那样。但到目前为止这还没发生,如果我们——如果真的到了手里有 1000 亿或 1200 亿左右的时候,我们可能不得不提高价格。任何时候你能用低于价值的价格买进股票,对持续股东都有利,但价差应该是明显的。你不能——内在价值没法计算得那么精确,算到小数点后四位或什么的。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Gregg, you mentioned that it sold below 1.2, and I don't think that's correct. I keep a pretty close eye on that, and it's come fairly close to 1.2. But I could almost guarantee you that it has not hit 1.2, or we would've done it. And I'd be happy to send you figures on any day that you might feel that it did hit the 1.2. Clearly in my view, Charlie's view, the board's, the stock is worth significantly more than 1.2, but it should be worth significantly more, or we wouldn't have it at that level. On the other hand, we did move it up from 1.1 to 1.2 because we had acquired more businesses over time that were — where the differential between our carrying value and the book value — and the intrinsic value really had widened from when we set the 1.1. I have mixed emotions on the whole thing, in that from strictly a financial standpoint, and from the standpoint of the continuing shareholders, I love the idea of buying it at 1.2, which means I probably would love the idea of buying it a little higher than 1.2. On the other hand, I don't take — and it's the surest way of making money per share there is. I mean, if you can buy dollar bills for anything less than a dollar, you know, there's no more certain way of making money. On the other hand, I don't particularly like — enjoy the actual act of buying out people who are my partners at a price that is below — well below what I think the stock is worth. So — but we will buy stock, almost certainly. We don't make it a 100 percent pledge because there'd be a lot of ramifications to that, but the odds are extremely high that we would buy a lot of stock at 1.2 times or less. But we would do it in a manner where we were not propping the stock at any given level. And if it happens, it will be very good for the stockholders who continue. It is kind of an interesting situation, though, because if it's true that we will, and are eager even, from a financial standpoint, to buy it at that price, it's really like having a savings account where if you take your money out as a dividend, or as an interest payment on a savings account, you know, you get a dollar. But if you leave it in, you're almost guaranteed that we'll pay you $1.20. I mean, why would anybody want to take money out of a savings account if they could cash it in, what they left, at 120 percent? So it's a — it acts as a backstop for ensuring that a no-dividend policy results in greater returns than it would be if we paid out a dollar and people got a dollar. If they leave a dollar in, they're going to get at least $1.20 in my view, at least — it's not a total guarantee, but it's a pretty strong probability. So would we increase that number? Perhaps. If we run out of ideas, and I don't mean, you know, day by day, but if it really becomes apparent that we can't use capital effectively within the company, in the quantities with which it's being generated, then at some point the threshold might be moved up a little because it could still be attractive to buy it. And you don't — you know, you don't want — you don't want to keep accumulating so much money that it burns a hole in your pocket. And it's been said, actually, that — you know, that a full wallet is a little like a full bladder, that you may get an urge fairly quickly to pee it away, and we don't want that to happen. But so far that hasn't happened, and we will — if it ever gets to where we have 100 billion or 120 billion or something like that around, we might have to increase the price. Anytime you can buy stock in for less than it's worth, it's advantageous to the continuing shareholders, and — but it should be by a demonstrable margin. You can't — intrinsic value can't be that finely calculated that you can figure it out to four decimal places or anything of the sort. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,你会注意到,在美国企业界其他地方,这些回购计划会获得自己的生命力,在极高的价位回购股票、实际上对股东毫无好处的做法已经相当普遍了。我不太清楚人们究竟为什么这么做。我想这慢慢变成了一种时髦。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, you'll notice that elsewhere in corporate America, these buyback plans get a life of their own, and it's gotten quite common to buy back stock at very high prices that really don't do the shareholders any good at all. I don't know why people exactly are doing it. I think it gets to be fashionable.
沃伦·巴菲特是时髦,而且有顾问向他们推销。
WARREN BUFFETTIt's fashionable and they get sold on it by advisors.
查理·芒格那也没错。
CHARLIE MUNGERThat's true, too.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。你能想象有人跑出去说,我们要收购一家公司,我们不在乎多少钱吗?你知道,今年我们要花 50 亿美元买一家公司,我们不在乎价格。但这就是公司在回购时不给自己设定任何衡量标准时干的事。说我们要回购 50 亿美元的股票,也许他们不想公开这个标准,但肯定应该说,如果回购有利,我们就回购 50 亿美元的股票。但他们不——你知道,如果说他们要买 XYZ 公司,他们会说,我们按这个价格买,但价格高出 120% 我们就不买了。但我极少看到——杰米·戴蒙就说得非常明确,他说他会在股价低于他认为的内在价值时回购股票。但我看到过几百份回购公告,我在一个又一个董事会上,他们投票通过回购,基本上——他们说这么做是为了防止摊薄之类。这跟防止摊薄根本没关系。我的意思是,如果你——摊薄本身是负面因素,而以过高价格回购股票是另一个负面因素。所以必须跟估值挂钩。就像我说的,你不会找到多少回购的新闻稿里提到一句估值的问题。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Can you imagine somebody going out and saying, we're going to buy a business and we don't care what the price is? You know, we're going to spend $5 billion this year buying a business, we don't care what the price is. But that's what companies do when they don't attach some kind of a metric to what they're doing on their buybacks. To say we're going to buy back 5 billion of stock, maybe they don't want to publicize the metric, but certainly they should say, we're going to buy back 5 billion of stock if it's advantageous to buy it back. But they don't — you know, if they say we're going buy the XYZ Company, they say, we'll buy it at this price, but we won't buy it at 120 percent of that price. But I have very rarely seen — Jamie Dimon is very explicit about saying he's going to buy back the stock when he's buying it below what he considers intrinsic value to be. But I have seen hundreds of buyback notices, and I've sat on boards of directors one after another where they have voted buybacks and basically — and they said they were doing it to prevent dilution or something like that. It's got nothing to do with preventing dilution. I mean, if you're — dilution by itself is a negative and buying back your stock at too high a price is another negative. So it has to be related to valuation. And as I say, you will not find a lot of press releases about buybacks that say a word about valuation.
查理·芒格在这一点上——我们的行为常常很像一些人所说的圣公会祈祷。我们虔诚地感谢主,让我们有别于那些不如我们的其他宗教。(笑)恐怕伯克希尔也难免有太多这种成分,但我们就是忍不住。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERThe occasion — we're always behaving a lot like what some might call the Episcopal prayer. We prayerfully thank the Lord that we're not like these other religions who are inferior. (Laughs) I'm afraid there's probably too much of that in Berkshire, but we can't help it. (Laughter.)
内布拉斯加家具城达拉斯新店生意兴隆
New Nebraska Furniture Mart store in Dallas doing big business
沃伦·巴菲特好的。第 9 站。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 9.
现场股东下午好,巴菲特先生。
AUDIENCE MEMBERGood afternoon, Mr. Buffett.
沃伦·巴菲特你好。
WARREN BUFFETTHi.
现场股东我叫肖恩·蒙哥马利,来自得克萨斯州沃斯堡。内布拉斯加家具城在达拉斯开业大约一年了。
AUDIENCE MEMBERMy name is Shawn Montgomery (PH) from Fort Worth, Texas. The Nebraska Furniture Mart has been open for about a year in Dallas.
沃伦·巴菲特没错。
WARREN BUFFETTRight.
现场股东我只是好奇销售额怎么样,和你们其他门店相比如何,以及你对未来有什么预期。谢谢。
AUDIENCE MEMBERI was just curious how sales have been, how they compare to your other stores, and what you think they'll be in the future. Thank you.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。按营业额算是我们最大的门店。但我们在那里遇到了一个在堪萨斯城也碰到过的问题,而且可能每次开新店都会遇到,就是我们开业初始营业额太大,导致配送出了问题。就像我说的,堪萨斯城那次更糟——那是我们开的第一家店。所以我们确实不得不有意放慢节奏,因为天底下我们最不想做的,就是在第一印象上就夹带配送问题。所以,目前按营业额算是我们最大的门店。配送已经好多了。实际上已经达到了我们在奥马哈的公司标准。但此前好几个月都不是这样。开新店很难——我们开了全美最大的家居用品商场,而且是在一个新区域,我们理所当然地认为已经尽最大努力培训了司机,万事俱备。但是一个拥有 100 多辆配送车的新运营点,要配送地毯,有人迷路,路线安排糟糕,各种各样的问题——确实有很多工作要做。现在这些都已经解决了。所以我预计那家店,虽然已经是规模最大的门店,但我想用不了多久就会成为一家年销售额 10 亿美元的店。我们正准备踩油门加速。那个区域极好。我们在达拉斯/沃斯堡地区有 20 多家汽车经销店。可能就在家具城所在区域就有三四家。那里建设速度根本不够快。丰田要搬过去。雷克萨斯也是。它已经是一家很棒的门店,但未来还会远不止如此。我们开了大概——我想目前有 4 家餐饮店。还有四五家正在筹备。它们的营业额都极为惊人。我开始听起来像唐纳德·特朗普了,“巨大”“惊人”“棒极了”,从来没见过这样的。(笑声)等到明年再来。我回来的时候,状态会更好。它做得非常好。我们选不出比这更好的区域了。我们有 400 多英亩地,非常幸运地圈下了一大块,我们带来的价格和商品种类,人们前所未见。现在只需要把配送也做到人们前所未见的水平。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. It's our largest store in volume. But we had a problem there that we had in Kansas City, and we'll probably have every time we open a store, in that we generate so much initial volume that we had a delivery problem. Like I say, it was worse in Kansas City — that was the first one we opened. So we really had to take our foot off the gas pedal because the last thing in the world we want to do, you know, is make first impressions with delivery problems — accompanied by delivery problems. So, it's our largest store in volume. The deliveries have gotten far better. They actually are meeting our company standards that we have in Omaha. But that wasn't the case for some months. And it's hard to go open up — we opened up the largest home furnishing store in the United States, and we did it in an area where we naturally thought we trained the drivers as well as we could and everything. But delivery with 100-plus units out there in a new operation, you know, taking in carpet and people getting lost and routing being bad and all kind — there was plenty of work to be done. And it's been done. So I expect that store, which already is the largest store we have, but I think it'll be a billion-dollar annual store before very long. We're getting ready to step on the gas. It's a terrific area. We have 20-plus auto dealerships there in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We probably have three or four of them in the area where our Furniture Mart is. They can't build fast enough down there. Toyota's moving there. Lexus. It's going — it already is a great store, but it's going to be something even far beyond that. We've opened up about — I think there are about four food places so far. We've got four or five more in the works. And they're doing terrific volumes. I'm starting to sound like Donald Trump here, you know, tremendous, terrific, you know, fantastic, I've never seen anything like it. (Laughter) Just wait until next year. I'll come back, I'll really be in shape then. It's doing well. We couldn't have picked a better area. We have 400 and — have over 400 acres that we were very fortunate in corralling a whole bunch of land, and we're bringing prices and variety like they — nobody's seen. And now we've just got to bring in delivery like nobody's ever seen.
巴菲特对大规模杀伤性武器的担忧
Buffett's concerns about weapons of mass destruction
沃伦·巴菲特好的。卡罗尔。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Carol.
卡罗尔·卢米斯这个问题来自纽约的克里斯·戈乔。巴菲特先生,您曾表达过对网络、生物、核武器和化学攻击的担忧,但预防灾难并未得到足够重视。例如,一项旨在强化电网以抵御高空核爆炸的法案在众议院获得全票通过。如今可没多少法案能全票通过,但随后这项法案在参议院被搁置了。您是否考虑过出资——您考虑出资开展一项游说和教育活动,来推动这一领域的公共利益,并制衡那些往往更关心短期利润的行业说客,这难道不是一个好主意吗?
CAROL LOOMISThis question comes from Chris Gottscho (PH) of New York. Mr. Buffett, you have expressed concern about cyber, biological, nuclear, and chemical attacks, but preventing catastrophe is not getting enough attention. For example, a bill passed the house unanimously to harden the electric grid against the high-altitude nuclear explosion. Not too many bills pass unanimously these days, but then the bill got bottled up in the Senate. Have you considered funding — wouldn't it be a good idea for you to consider funding a lobbying and educational campaign to promote the public good in this area and counteract industry lobbyists who are often more interested in short-term profits?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。在我看来,没有任何问题能跟我称之为 C-N-B-C 的问题相提并论,即网络、核武器、化学和生物攻击,无论是由流氓组织、甚至可能由个人、流氓国家发起。我是说,你知道,如果你去想——你能想到很多事情。它一定会发生。我认为我们一直既幸运,而且坦率地说,政府里的人做得非常好,因为政府是这件事的实际防线,自 1945 年以来没出过大事。在古巴导弹危机期间,我们离出事非常非常近。我不知道当时的概率有多大,但我确实认为,如果有——我能想到很多人,如果当时他们处在[美国总统]肯尼迪或[苏联总理]赫鲁晓夫的位置上,结果会截然不同。而这是终极问题。正如我在年报中所写的,从长期看,这是对伯克希尔经济——对伯克希尔经济福祉唯一的外部威胁。我只是希望当它——它会发生——我希望当它发生时,损害能降至最低。但精神病患者、妄想狂、宗教狂热分子等等想伤害他人的欲望,在地球上有 70 亿人口时,远比我出生时的大约 30 亿人(实际不到 30 亿)要强烈得多。不幸的是,现在有了实施的手段。你知道,如果你在足够久远的年代是个疯子,你会朝隔壁山洞里的人扔石头,这在某种程度上限制了——损害程度和精神错乱程度的关系。而后,你知道,这种关系一路随着弓箭、长矛、大炮等各种东西演变。到了 1945 年,我们释放了某种世界前所未见的力量,但跟现在所能做的相比,那就像是把玩具枪。所以,有太多人想给我们造成巨大伤害。我在 20 多岁的时候就形成了这个看法。就我的慈善事业而言,我认定这是我认为应作为主要议题的两个问题之一,我参与了各种各样的事情,比如忧思——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, in my view, there is no problem remotely like the problem of what I call C-N-B-C, cyber, nuclear, chemical, and biological attacks, that either by rogue organizations, even possibly individuals, rogue states, I mean, you know, if you think about — you can think about a lot of things. It will happen. I think we've been both lucky and, frankly, the people have done a very good job in government, because government is the real protection on this, in not having anything since 1945. We came very, very close during the Cuban Missile Crisis. And I don't know what the odds were, but I do think that if there had been — I can think of many people that if they'd been in place of either [U.S. President John] Kennedy or [USSR Premier Nikita] Khrushchev, we would've had a very different result. And it's the ultimate problem. As I put in the annual report, it's the only real threat to Berkshire's economic — external threat to Berkshire's economic well-being over time. And I just hope when — it'll happen — I hope when it happens that it's minimized. But the desire of psychotics and megalomaniacs and religious fanatics and whatever to do harm on others is a lot more when you have 7 billion people on earth than when you had 3 billion or so, which was the case when I was born — less than 3 billion. And unfortunately, there are means of doing it. You know, if you were a psychotic back far enough, you threw a stone at the guy in the next cave, and you would sort of limit — relationship of damage to psychosis. But the — and that went along, you know, through bows and arrows and spears and cannons and various things. And in 1945, we unleashed something like the world had never seen, and that is a pop gun compared to what can be done now. So there are plenty of people that would like to cause us huge damage. And I came to that view when I was in my 20s. And in terms of my philanthropic efforts, I decided that that was one of two issues that I thought should be the main issue, and I got involved with all kinds of things like the Concerned — Union of —
查理·芒格你年复一年地支持帕格沃什会议,而且几乎就你一个人在做。
CHARLIE MUNGERYou supported the Pugwash Conference year after year and were exactly all by yourself.
沃伦·巴菲特——忧思科学家联盟,我还捐钱给了核威胁倡议,该倡议旨在建立一个类似联邦储备系统的机制来存管铀,这样就能消除一些国家自行开发高浓缩铀的借口。所以——但你所面对的问题,压倒性地是个政府层面的问题,也理应如此,而且我认为这实际上一直是历任总统的最高优先事项。这不是他们能每天到处谈论的事,他们既不想把所有人都吓坏,也不想向人透露自己在做什么的底牌。但身处保险业——其实你甚至不需要在保险业——你也能——你就知道总有一天会有人搞出一件规模非常、非常、非常大的恶性事件。也许它——美国可能是最可能发生的地方,但也可能发生在很多其他地方,而这是创新带来的一个巨大弊端。我是说,人们——
WARREN BUFFETTUnion of Concerned Scientists, and I have given some money to the Nuclear Threat Initiative that was going to create a — sort of a Federal Reserve system to bank uranium that will take away some of the excuse for countries to develop their own highly-enriched uranium. So — but it's overwhelmingly a governmental problem on what you're dealing, and it should be, and I think it actually has been the top priority for president after president. It's not the thing they can go out and talk about it every day, and they don't want to scare the hell out of everybody, and they also don't want to tip people's hands as to what they're doing. But being in the insurance business — you don't have to even be in the insurance business — you can — you know that someday somebody will pull off something on a very, very, very big scale that will be harmful. Maybe it will — the United States is probably the most likely place it happens, but it can happen a lot of other places, and that's the one huge disadvantage to innovation. I mean, people —
查理·芒格沃伦,我想他还问了,为什么我们伯克希尔不花更多时间告诉政府应该做什么和思考什么?
CHARLIE MUNGERWarren, I think he also asked, why don't we, Berkshire, spend a lot more time telling the government what it should be doing and thinking?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我一直试着告诉大家。(笑)这事没人跟你意见相左。他们只是——这事儿似乎有点无从下手——我是说,他们不知道自己除了正在做的还能做什么。顺便说一句,他们已经做了很多了。我是说,并非所有事情都会公之于众,但——我认为肯尼迪和赫鲁晓夫——我是说,赫鲁晓夫本不该把导弹运到古巴去,但至少他还够聪明,知道肯尼迪是动真格的时候,就把船调头了。但问题是——你不能总指望有肯尼迪和赫鲁晓夫那样的人掌权。而那些犯下的错误——我见过商业或人类行为中犯下的错误,人们的行为跟自己的长远利益如此背道而驰以至于——人类是非常——你知道,他们有许多弱点。你可以说,如果希特勒没有那么反犹,你知道,他本可以留住一大批科学家,说不定能赶在我们之前造出原子弹,但他却——他赶走了最优秀的科学头脑,幸运的是——
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I've tried telling people. (Laughs) Nobody disagrees with you on it. They just — it seems sort of hopeless to — I mean, they don't know what to do beyond what they're doing. And incidentally, they've done a lot of things. I mean, not all gets publicized, but — and I think Kennedy and Khrushchev — I mean, Khrushchev shouldn't have been sending it over to Cuba, but at least he had enough sense when he knew Kennedy meant business to turn the ships around. But it's — you can't count on there being Kennedys and Khrushchevs all the time in charge of things. And the mistakes that are — I see the mistakes that are made in business or human behavior where people act so contrary to their own long-range self-interest that — humans are very — you know, they've got a lot of frailties. You can argue that if Hitler hadn't been so anti-Semitic, you know, he could've kept a lot of scientists that might have gotten him to the atomic bomb before we did, but he was — he drove out the best of the scientific minds and fortunate —
查理·芒格想象一下,一个人蠢到认为提升科学水平的方法是赶走所有犹太人。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERImagine a guy stupid enough to think the way to improve science is to kick out all the Jews. (Laughter.)
沃伦·巴菲特这确实——20 世纪的英雄可能是利奥·西拉德。我是说,利奥·西拉德就是那个说服[阿尔伯特]·爱因斯坦联名致信[富兰克林]·罗斯福总统的人,信里基本上就是说,你知道,总有一方会搞出这个东西,我们最好先把它搞到手。他说的比我转述的要有说服力得多。你可以去网上找那封信来看,但——你知道,我们既有好事,也很幸运。不过,如果你记得 911 之后,有人开始收到几封装有炭疽的信封,寄给了诸如《国家询问报》、汤姆·布罗考和汤姆·达施勒——我记不清了。我是说,谁知道——当一个人——当你起了要把炭疽寄给别人的念头时,你知道,那种决策过程完全让人无法理解。那个人最后没有造成很大伤害,但造成伤害的能力绝对令人难以置信。我不知道伯克希尔能对此做些什么——我也不知道如何通过慈善的方式去做。如果我知道怎么做——怎么降低那种 C-N-B-C 式大规模攻击的概率,如果我知道怎么把概率降低 5%,我所有的钱都会投进去,这毫无疑问,降低 1% 也成。
WARREN BUFFETTIt was — the hero of the 20th century may have been Leo Szilard. I mean, Leo Szilard is the guy that got [Albert] Einstein to cosign a letter to [President Franklin] Roosevelt and say, you know, one side or the other is going to get this, and we better get it first, basically. He said it much more eloquently than that. You can go to the internet and look up the letter, but — you know, we've both been good and we've been lucky. But, if you remember post-9/11, people started getting a few envelopes with anthrax, and they went to, like, the National Enquirer and Tom Brokaw and Tom Daschle — I can't remember. I mean, who knows what — when you're — when you've got a mind that's going to send anthrax to people, you know, how that decision making is made is just totally beyond comprehension. And that person did not end up doing a lot of damage, but the capability for damage is absolutely incredible. I don't know how Berkshire does anything about — I don't know how to do it philanthropically. If I knew how to do — reduce the probabilities of the C-N-B-C-type mass attack, if I knew how to reduce the probability by 5 percent, all my money would go to that, no question about that, maybe 1 percent.
查理·芒格但事实不正是,我们一直不太擅长让政府听从我们的任何建议吗?
CHARLIE MUNGERBut hasn't it been true we haven't been very good at getting the government to follow any of our advice?
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。但这事儿很重要。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. But this one's important. (Laughter.)
查理·芒格是啊,嗯——
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah, well —
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。没人跟你争这个。他们只是摊开双手,一副无奈的样子。有些人干了一阵,就灰心丧气,退出了。我也参与过——我忘了那个组织的确切名字,但它的想法是——一群核科学家——这很久以前了——他们的想法是通过影响小州的选举来发挥作用,其理论是政府是主要工具,这样你能产生最大的影响力。然后,你知道,一个接一个,人们接手这事,又都灰心丧气。我不——我不觉得这是因为我们——我们的领导人不行。我认为我们的领导人在这个问题上做得很好。我认为任何候选人——嗯,我一点也不担心[希拉里]·克林顿或[唐纳德]·特朗普会不会把这事儿当作他们任期内的首要问题。但我就是不知道——进攻方总能跑在防守方前面,而且——你能在 99.99% 的情况下赢下比赛,但最终,任何有发生概率的事,你知道,都会发生。我希望我能给你一个更好的答案。查理,你有没有——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Nobody argues with you about it. They just sort of throw up their hands. And some people work for a while on it and just get discouraged and quit. I was involved — I forget the exact name of it, but their idea was — a bunch of nuclear scientists — this is long ago, but their idea was to affect elections in small states, the theory being that government was the main instrument and you would have the maximum impact. And just one after another, you know, people took it up and got discouraged. I don't — I don't think it's because we — we've had the wrong leaders. I think our leaders have been good on this. I think that any candidate — well, I do not worry about the fact that either [Hillary] Clinton or [Donald] Trump would regard that as the paramount problem of their presidency. But I just don't know — the offense can be ahead of the defense, and that's — you can win the game 99.99 percent of the time, but eventually anything that has any probability of happening, you know, will happen. I wish I could give you a better answer. Charlie, have you got any —
查理·芒格我不指望能给出更好的答案。
CHARLIE MUNGERI have no hope of giving a better answer.
沃伦·巴菲特大家都这么跟我说。是啊。
WARREN BUFFETTThat's what they all say to me. Yeah.
路博润的润滑油添加剂业务
Lubrizol's lubricant additives business
沃伦·巴菲特乔纳森。
WARREN BUFFETTJonathan.
乔纳森·布兰特路博润的润滑油添加剂业务是你们最大的六项非保险业务之一,但自大约五年前收购以来,有关其业绩的披露相对较少。您能向我们介绍一下,自收购以来核心业务表现如何,以及竞争格局和终端市场发生了怎样的变化吗?我知道核心业务不是一个增长型业务,但行驶里程的增加是否对他们的营收有任何帮助?您能否也谈谈他们一两个更重要的补强型收购的表现,比如 Chemtool、管道减阻剂公司 Warwick、Weatherford 或 Lipotec?
JONATHAN BRANDTThe Lubrizol lubricant additives business is one of your six largest noninsurance units, but there's been relatively little disclosure about its performance since it was acquired nearly five years ago. Can you please update us on how the core business has done and how the competitive landscape and end markets have evolved since it was acquired? I know the core business is not a growth business, but has the increase in miles driven helped their top line at all? Could you also talk about the performance of one or two of their more important bolt-on acquisitions, whether it be Chemtool, the pipeline flow-improver company, Warwick, Weatherford, or Lipotec?
沃伦·巴菲特对。添加剂业务——里面基本上有四家公司——这是一项不增长但非常好的业务,我们是行业龙头。所以自收购以来,它的表现几乎完全如你所料。其他特种公司——其中一些有增长潜力,但规模都很小。所以总体来看,路博润在经营层面的表现,与我们当初的预期——或者说,如果你看过我们收购时那份招股说明书,你也能预想到的——非常吻合。他们做过一次大型收购,这是一个大错误,投在了油田特种化学品领域,而且那次收购差不多是在油价暴跌之时——甚至稍晚一点——完成的。所以我们在那里——也做过一些不错的收购,但最大那笔收购根本就不该做。是这样的——我们仍然拥有添加剂业务的基本盈利能力和其他一切。这方面从未让我们失望。它是一家运营得非常出色的企业,但这并不是一项增长型业务。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. The additive business — there's four companies in it, basically — and it's a no-growth, but very good, business, and we're the leader. So it has performed almost exactly as you would anticipate since purchase. And other specialty companies have — some of which have — have growth possibilities, but they're small. So Lubrizol overall, on an operational basis, has been very much as we anticipated, or you would've anticipated, if you looked at the prospectus at the time we bought it. They made one large acquisition which is — was a big mistake, and that was in the oil field specialty chemical area, and was made just about the time that — or even a little after — that oil took a nosedive. So we've had a — we've had some decent acquisitions there, but the biggest acquisition should not have been made. It is — we still got the fundamental earning power of the additives business and everything. That has not disappointed us in any way. It's a very well-run operation that way, but it's not a growth operation. Charlie?
查理·芒格没什么要补充的。
CHARLIE MUNGERNothing to add.
“我们喜欢关注微观因素”
"We like to look at micro factors"
沃伦·巴菲特好的。10 号台。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 10.
现场股东您好。您好,巴菲特先生、芒格先生,非常感谢你们的见解、教诲以及作为楷模的风范。我叫埃里克·西尔伯格,是纽约市的一名小提琴手。我的问题跟你们两位都有关,是关于心理偏差的。通过伯克希尔·哈撒韦的运营,你们对宏观经济因素有很好的把握。然而,伯克希尔并不基于宏观经济因素做投资决策。你们如何控制信息的影响,比如了解宏观经济因素,或是知道股票价格所带来的锚定效应——因为一旦分析过,过了一段时间就很难不去想?这又如何影响你们的理性决策——是应该忽略它,还是应该试着以积极的方式利用它?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHello. Hello, Mr. Buffett and Mr. Munger, thank you so much for your insights, teaching, and being great role models. My name is Eric Silberger, a violinist based in New York City. My question for both of you is related to psychological biases. Through Berkshire Hathaway's operations, you get a very good read on macroeconomic factors. Yet, Berkshire does not make investment decisions based upon macroeconomic factors. How do you control the effect of information, such as knowing macroeconomic factors, or the anchoring effect of knowing stock prices, because after a while it's hard not to once you've analyzed them before? And how does that influence your rational decision making, whether you should ignore it, or whether you should try to use it in a positive way?
沃伦·巴菲特查理和我当然——我们读很多书,所以我们——而且我们对经济事务和政治事务也感兴趣。所以我们知道很多,或者应该说很熟悉几乎所有宏观经济因素。但这不代表我们知道这些因素会导向什么。我们不知道零利率会导致什么。但我们确实知道正在发生什么,哪怕我们不知道——什么可能会——
WARREN BUFFETTCharlie and I are certainly — we read a lot, so we — and we're interested in economic matters, and political matters, for that matter. And so we — we know a lot, or are familiar a lot, I should say, with almost all the macroeconomic factors. That doesn't mean we know where they're going to lead. We don't know where zero interest rates are going to lead. But we do know what's going on, if we don't know what — what is likely to —
查理·芒格沃伦,这里有点乱。
CHARLIE MUNGERWarren, there's a confusion here.
沃伦·巴菲特哦。
WARREN BUFFETTOh.
查理·芒格它指的是微观经济因素。
CHARLIE MUNGERIt says microeconomic factors.
沃伦·巴菲特哦,微观层面。
WARREN BUFFETTOh, micro.
查理·芒格我们非常关注那些。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe pay a lot of attention to those.
沃伦·巴菲特哦,对。对不起。
WARREN BUFFETTOh, yeah. I'm sorry.
查理·芒格谈到宏观,我们不比任何人知道得更多。
CHARLIE MUNGERIf you talk about macro, we don't know any more than anybody else.
沃伦·巴菲特他总结得很好。就我们收购的企业而言——我们买入股票时,也把它看作买入企业,所以这两类决策非常相似——我们努力去了解所有,或者尽可能多的微观经济因素。我——我喜欢琢磨一家企业的细节,不管我们买不买。我是说,我就是觉得琢磨这个物种本身就很有趣,而——琢磨细节正是研究它的方法。所以——我认为我们并没有对这些因素缺乏兴趣,也没有否认它们的重要性。查理,我算是回答他的问题了吗?
WARREN BUFFETTHe summed it up. In terms of the businesses we buy, and we — when we buy stocks, we look at it as buying businesses, so they're very similar decisions — we try to know all, or as many as we can know, of the microeconomic factors. We — I like looking at the details of a business whether we buy it or not. I mean, I just find it interesting to study the species, and — and that's the way you do study it. So I — I don't think there's any lack of interest in those factors or denying the importance of them. So am I getting his question or not, Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,没有什么比微观经济学更重要的了。那就是生意。生意和微观经济学差不多是同一个词。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, there hardly could be anything more important than the microeconomics. That is business. Business and microeconomics is sort of the same term.
现场股东我想——
AUDIENCE MEMBERI guess —
查理·芒格微观经济学是我们做的事,宏观经济学是我们得忍受的东西。
CHARLIE MUNGERMicroeconomics is what we do, and macroeconomics is what we put up with.
现场股东锚定效应,我是说,你们又是怎么应对的?
AUDIENCE MEMBERThe anchoring effect, I mean, how do you deal with that as well?
查理·芒格嗯,我们不会锚定在自己忽略的东西上。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, we're not anchored to what we're ignoring.
现场股东我明白了。(笑声)
AUDIENCE MEMBERI see. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特不过我们——查理和我就是那种几乎对每一门生意都觉得有意思的人——我们喜欢看微观因素。如果我们买——当我们 1972 年买入喜诗糖果时,你知道,大概有 140 家店之类的。我们会看——我们会看每家店的数据,长期跟踪它们,看开到第三年的店在第二年表现如何——我们确实喜欢搞懂一门门生意。就是——让我们觉得有趣。有些信息非常有用,有些可能看似没什么帮助,但谁知道什么时候你脑海深处存着的一个不起眼的小事实会突然冒出来,果真派上了大用场。所以,我们很幸运,做着热爱的事。我是说,我们热爱做这件事,就像别人热爱看棒球比赛一样——而我也喜欢看棒球。但对他们来说——光是观赛这件事本身,每个投球都有趣,每个动作,你知道,那家伙是不是——你知道,双盗垒有意思,或者其他什么情况,我们打心底里投入的正是这类事情,我们谈论的也正是这类事情。
WARREN BUFFETTBut we — Charlie and I are the kind that literally find it interesting in every business — we like to look at micro factors. If we buy — when we buy a See's Candy in 1972, you know, there may have been 140 shops or something. We'll look at the — we'll look at numbers on each one, and we'll watch them over time, and we'll see how third-year shops behave in the second year — we really like understanding businesses. It's just — it's interesting to us. And some of the information is very useful, and some of it may look like it's not helpful, but who knows when some little fact stored in the back of your mind pops up and really does make a difference. So, we're fortunate in that we're doing what we love doing. I mean, we love doing this like other people like watching baseball games, and which I like to do, too. But they — just the very act, every pitch is interesting, and every movement, you know, and whether the guy's — you know, a double steal is interesting, or whatever it may be, and so that's what our activity is really devoted to, and we talk about that sort of thing.
查理·芒格我们努力避开最糟糕的锚定效应,也就是你总被自己先前的结论锚定。我们确实会尽力推翻自己之前的想法。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe try and avoid the worst anchoring effect, which is always your previous conclusion. We really try and destroy our previous ideas.
沃伦·巴菲特查理说,如果你不同意某人的观点,你要能做到比他们自己更好地陈述他们的论点。
WARREN BUFFETTCharlie says that if you disagree with somebody, you want to be able to state their case better than they can.
查理·芒格绝对如此。
CHARLIE MUNGERAbsolutely.
沃伦·巴菲特到那一步,你才有资格不同意他们。
WARREN BUFFETTAnd at that point, you've earned the right to disagree with them.
查理·芒格否则,你就该保持沉默。要是人人都按我这套来,我们的政治局面会大为改观。(笑声和掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGEROtherwise, you should just keep quiet. It would do wonders for our politics if everybody followed my system. (Laughter and applause)
我“更乐意为伯克希尔赚钱,而不是为我自己”
I'd "much rather make money for Berkshire than for myself"
沃伦·巴菲特好的,贝基。
WARREN BUFFETTOK, Becky.
贝基·奎克沃伦,提个小请求。你能不能别再拿 C-N-B-C 当大规模杀伤性武器的缩写了?(笑声)
BECKY QUICKWarren, just a quick request. Would you please stop using C-N-B-C as an acronym for mass destruction? (Laughter.)
沃伦·巴菲特但如果我用 N-B-C-C,那我又得跟 [NBC 环球 CEO] 史蒂夫·伯克闹矛盾了。
WARREN BUFFETTBut if I use N-B-C-C, then I've got a problem with [NBCUniversal CEO] Steve [Burke].
贝基·奎克这个问题来自得克萨斯州达拉斯的马特·班迪。他问的是 Seritage Growth Properties。他说:“2015 年 12 月,你以个人身份提交了一份 13-G 表格,显示你持有了房地产投资信托基金 Seritage Growth Properties 约 8% 的头寸,据我所知,伯克希尔并没有一笔类似的对应投资。而另一方面,2015 年 9 月,沃伦以个人身份提交了一份 13-G 表格,显示他持有 Phillips 66 的头寸,这笔投资伯克希尔也有对应持仓。我的问题是,你如何决定什么时候为自己的个人账户投资,什么时候为伯克希尔投资?我理解市值和持仓规模可能是考虑因素,但像 Seritage 这样可能具有显著上涨空间的公司,难道不应该为股东的利益去投资吗?你目前又把个人资金投向了哪里?”
BECKY QUICKThis question comes from Matt Bandy in Dallas, Texas. He's asking about Seritage Growth Properties. He says, "In December, 2015, you filed a personal 13-G evidencing a roughly 8 percent ownership position in the real estate investment trust Seritage Growth Properties, which to my knowledge is not paralleled as a Berkshire investment. "Alternatively, in September, 2015, Warren filed a personal 13-G evidencing ownership in Phillips 66, which is paralleled as a Berkshire investment. "My question is, how do you decide when making a personal investment for your own account versus an investment for Berkshire? I understand market cap and ownership sizing are the likely factors, but does it still not behoove him to invest for the shareholder's benefit in a company like Seritage that might have significant upside, and where are you putting your personal money to work?"
沃伦·巴菲特没错。我一股 Phillips 66 都没持有,也从来没持有过,所以我不太确定那个人——他指的是什么。可能是在填某张表的时候,因为我是伯克希尔的 CEO,在某一栏上就把所有权归算到我名下了,诸如此类。答案是,我从来没持有过 Phillips 的股票。Seritage 是我买的一家房地产投资信托基金,买入时总市值不到 20 亿美元。我个人的情况是,我净资产中约有 1% 在伯克希尔之外,99% 都在伯克希尔里面,我没办法做伯克希尔自行会做的那些事。所以,Seritage 这种 20 亿美元市值的标的,其实算不上伯克希尔体量的东西。再说,据我所知,或者说凭记忆,伯克希尔根本就没持有过房地产投资信托基金。我的意思是,这压根儿不是——所以,我可以买它,而不用担心和伯克希尔产生利益冲突。从实际操作上说,我的那些好点子——我希望它们确实是我的好点子——对我反而是禁地,因为只要它们体量大到对伯克希尔有影响,就都得归伯克希尔。我们不会进行——除非是极特殊的情况——以我们当前的规模,我们不会去投资总市值只有二三十亿美元的公司。所以,我偶尔会看到一些对伯克希尔来说体量偏小的事,就会把个人那 1% 的净资产投进去,其他东西基本就都不碰了,除非伯克希尔在某个标的上的建仓已经全部完成,或者——比如,我持有一些很久很久以前买的油井,当时伯克希尔没有介入——不感兴趣。我的意思是,要么那时我们已经买够了,要么当时我们可能没有多余资金去投。总之,我尽量避开任何可能和伯克希尔产生利益冲突的事。如果伯克希尔买 Phillips 时我也在买 Phillips,或者紧挨着在那之前——或之后,那倒有可能碰到一种说得过去的情形——也许我们撞上了某些投资限额。但关键是,我一股都没买过,也从来没持有过。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTRight. I do not own a share, or never have owned, a share of Phillips 66, so I'm not sure where that person — what he's referring to. It may be that there's some way when the form is filled out that — that because I'm CEO of Berkshire that on some line it imputes ownership to me or something. The answer is I've never owned a share of Phillips. And Seritage is a real estate investment trust that had a total market value of under $2 billion when I bought it. And my situation is that I have about 1 percent of my net worth outside of Berkshire and 99 percent in it, and I can't be doing things that Berkshire does. So a Seritage, with a $2 billion market cap, is not really something that is of a Berkshire size. Plus we've never owned a real estate investment trust to my knowledge, or my memory, in Berkshire at all. I mean, it's just not a — so, I could buy that and not have any worry about a conflict with Berkshire. As a practical matter, you know, my best ideas are — I hope they're my best ideas —are off-limits for me because they go to Berkshire, if they're sizable enough to have a significance to Berkshire. We will not be making investments — unless it's something very odd — we will not be making investments in companies with a total market cap of a couple billion while we're our present size. But — so, every now and then I see something that's subsize for Berkshire that I'll put my — that 1 percent of my net worth in, and the rest of the stuff is off-limits, basically, unless Berkshire's all done buying something or — I mean, I own some wells that I bought a long, long time ago, and Berkshire was not in — was not interested. I mean, we bought enough or something at the time, or maybe we didn't have money for investment. But I try to stay away from anything that could conflict with Berkshire. And if I'd been buying Phillips, when Berkshire was buying Phillips, or immediately — or prior — or subsequently, there could be a case where it'd be OK when — we might have hit some limit. But the answer is I didn't buy any, and I've never owned any. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,身处我们这样的位置,要义之一就是,你确实不想有利益冲突,甚至不想有任何利益冲突的迹象。这都五六十年了,我们何曾因为自己搞的副业让伯克希尔蒙过羞?在我们俩的总家底里,伯克希尔之外的东西实际上都微不足道。我手里有一些 Costco 的股票,因为我是 Costco 的董事。伯克希尔也持有一些 Costco 的股票。就这么两三个小小的重合,但归根结底,伯克希尔的股东与其担心沃伦和我会搞出什么利益冲突,不如去操心别的。我们不会那样做的。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, part of being in a position like that we occupy, is you really don't want conflict of interest or even the appearance of it. And it's been 50 or 60 years, when have we embarrassed Berkshire by some of our side-gunning? Both of us have practically nothing of significance, in the total picture, outside of Berkshire. I've got some Costco stock, because I'm director of Costco. Berkshire's got some Costco stock. There are two or three little overlaps like that, but basically Berkshire shareholders have more to worry about than some conflict that Warren and I are going to give it. We're not going to do it.
沃伦·巴菲特这话听起来可能有点疯狂,而且我能这么说也是因为我负担得起,但我为伯克希尔赚钱的愿望,远远强过为我自己赚钱。我的意思是,这对我终归不会有什么区别。我拥有的钱,已经远超我可能需要的了,而且多得多,总体来看,我的个性——我的全部心思更多都是挂在伯克希尔的表现上,而不是我自己的得失上,因为我会把一切都捐出去。所以,我很清楚我个人的最终结局是归零,我不想看到伯克希尔的最终结局也归零。因此,我肯定是站在伯克希尔这一边的。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTIt may sound a little crazy, and it's only because I can afford to say this, but I would much rather make money for Berkshire than for myself. I mean, it isn't going to make any difference to me anyway. I've got all the money I could possibly need, and way more, and on balance, my personality — everything's more wound up in how Berkshire does than I am myself, because I'm going to give it all away. So, I know my end result is zero, and I don't want Berkshire's end result to be zero. So I'm on Berkshire's side. (Laughs)
伯克希尔的现金流展望
Berkshire's cash flow outlook
沃伦·巴菲特克利夫。(掌声)
WARREN BUFFETTCliff. (Applause.)
克利夫·加兰特如今伯克希尔一个格外突出的财务特征,就是它惊人的现金流。尽管用简单的“盈利减资本支出”公式估算出的年度自由现金流,按我的测算大概在 100 亿到 120 亿美元左右,但实际数字似乎远高于此,更接近 200 亿美元,我认为部分原因是递延所得税资产的逐年变动。那么,自由现金流的前景如何?投资者能否预期未来还会延续类似的态势?
CLIFF GALLANTOne of the great financial characteristics of Berkshire today is its awesome cash flow. While its simple earnings-less-capex formula yields an annual free cash flow calculation of, I figure, of around 10 to 12 billion, in reality it seems to be much higher, closer to 20 billion, and I think, in part, due to changes in the deferred tax asset year-to-year. What is the outlook for free cash flow, and can investors continue to expect similar dynamics going forward?
沃伦·巴菲特是的。有大量递延所得税归因于证券的未实现增值。我手头没有具体数字,但假设证券未实现增值有 600 亿美元吧。那么好,递延所得税就是 210 亿美元。那并不是实际可用现金,而只是在我们最终卖出证券之前,暂时不必支付出去的现金流出。有一部分递延税来自奖励折旧。铁路业务在税务上的折旧,会明显高于账面折旧。但整体来看,我所认为的伯克希尔实际主要现金流来源,离不开我们的净利润再加上浮存金的增长,前提是浮存金有增长的话。这些年来,浮存金为我们贡献了超过 800 亿美元,使得我们在利润之外还有更多资金可供投资,这是一大关键要素。在我们的各个业务中,资本支出都会超过折旧,这主要归因于,首先——铁路公司和伯克希尔哈撒韦能源,这两家实体的资本支出极有可能在很长、很长一段时间里,都会大幅超出各自的折旧。至于其他业务,除非我们进入通胀环境,否则无论朝哪个方向,都不会出现特别大的波动。所以说,我们的盈利,那 170——不计投资收益,不计资本利得——仅是我们的经营利润,大约在 170 亿美元左右——再加上浮存金的变化,就是我们净新增的可动用现金。不过,我们当然随时可以卖出证券,从而产生额外的现金。我们可以借钱来产生额外的现金。但伯克希尔的经济账,其实并不复杂。人们过去——有相当长一段时间,大家没有认识到浮存金的价值。我们一直不停地向他们解释,我想现在他们大概理解了。重要的事情,目标,查理和我念念不忘的是,我们每年都想为公司增进一些正常化下的——你懂的,就是公司正常化的每股盈利能力。我们认为我们能做到,因为我们应该能行。我们每年都有留存收益可以用来完成这项任务。有时候,似乎我们没取得什么成果,也确实没什么成果。而在另一些年份,会有大事发生,但哪一年会发生什么,我们事先并不知道。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. There's a lot of deferred tax that's attributable to unrealized appreciation in securities. I don't have the figure, but let's just assume that's 60 billion of unrealized appreciation in securities. Well, then there would be 21 billion of deferred tax. That isn't really cash that's available. It's just an absence of cash that's going to be paid out until we sell the securities. Some arises through bonus depreciation. The railroad will have depreciation for tax purposes that's a fair amount higher than for book purposes. But overall, I think of, primarily, the cash flow of Berkshire as a practical matter relating to our net income plus our increase in float, assuming we have an increase. And over the years, float has added $80-billion-plus to make available for investment beyond what our earnings have allowed for, and that's the huge element. We're going to spend more than our depreciation in our businesses, primarily, number one, because of the — well, the railroad and Berkshire Hathaway Energy are two entities that will spend quite a bit more than depreciation, in all likelihood, for a long, long, long, long time. And the other businesses, unless we get into inflationary conditions, it won't be a huge swing one way or the other. So, our earnings, the 17 — not counting investment, not counting capital gains — but our earnings, which were — whatever they were, you know, around 17 billion — plus our change in float is the net new available cash. But, of course, we can always sell securities and create additional cash. We can borrow money and create additional cash. But it's not a very complicated economic equation at Berkshire. People didn't — for a long time, they didn't appreciate the value of float. We kept explaining it to them, and I think they probably do now. The big thing, the goal, what Charlie and I think about, we want to add, every year, something to the normalized — you know, the normalized earning power per share of the company. And we think we can do it because we should be able to do it. We have retained earnings to work with every year to get that job done. Sometimes it doesn't look like we've accomplished much, and we haven't accomplished much. And other years, we — something big happens, and we don't know ahead of time which year is going to be which. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,历史上鲜有公司拥有过类似这样的优势。在伯克希尔·哈撒韦的整个历程中,我们一直置身于资金洪流之中,而且我们不断在配置这些资金,处置资产,在前进中我们也变得越来越明智。这套体系相当不错。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, there are very few companies that have ever been similarly advantaged. In the whole history of Berkshire Hathaway, we've lived in a torrent of money, and we were constantly deploying it, and disbursed assets, and we were wising up as we went along. That's a pretty good system.
沃伦·巴菲特这是——
WARREN BUFFETTIt's a —
查理·芒格我们不打算改变它。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe're not going to change it.
沃伦·巴菲特不打算。而且,这套体系也容忍了许多错误。我的意思是,这正是有趣的地方。美国商业长期以来的表现足够优秀,以至于你不需要——你不需要有多聪明就能取得一份体面的结果。而如果你能动用些许智慧,那么,你应该能取得相当好的结果。
WARREN BUFFETTNo. And it's allowed for a lot of mistakes. I mean, that's the interesting thing. American business has been good enough that you don't have to be — you don't have to really be smart to get a decent result. And if you can bring a little bit of intellect, you know, then you should get a pretty good result.
查理·芒格你要做的,是对那些标准式的愚蠢行为敬而远之,把它们挡在门外就行。你不需要聪明。
CHARLIE MUNGERWhat you've got to do is be aversive to the standard stupidities. You just keep those out. You don't have to be smart.
沃伦·巴菲特感谢上帝。
WARREN BUFFETTThank God.
查理·芒格感谢上帝,没错。
CHARLIE MUNGERThank God, right.
我们“避开了那些自我毁灭式的行为”
We've "avoided the self-destructive behavior"
沃伦·巴菲特好的。第 11 部分。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Section 11.
现场股东嗨,沃伦和查理。衷心感谢你们的慷慨,将自己毕生积累的知识和金融资本分享出来,推动人类进步。感谢你们。也感谢伯克希尔的管理者们,感谢你们打造了重要的公司,守护着我们的财务未来。谢谢各位。我是来自 MICROJIG 的王布鲁斯,从佛罗里达州奥兰多一路向西赶来。去年,你们友善地与我分享了尽己所能获取最佳声誉和端正品行的重要性。今年我想提问,并先做一点引述,比尔·盖茨曾写道:“沃伦的天赋在于能比大众想得更远。要做到这一点,光把他的格言铭记于心还不够,尽管沃伦满口都是值得铭记的格言。”他还补充道:“我从未见过任何人在商业上思考问题能如此清晰。”沃伦,有哪些对别人来说难以捉摸、对你却显而易见的真相,让你能比大众想得更远,并构建出清晰的思维框架,从而打造出一个具有历史意义的重量级机构与强大品牌?还有,查理,同样的问题,有什么显而易见的真相在你面前如此清晰,但很多人会强烈反对你的看法?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHey, Warren and Charlie. Thank you so much for your generosity and sharing your life's accumulation of knowledge and financial capital to the progress of humanity. Thank you for that. And Berkshire managers, thank you for building important companies and stewarding our financial futures. Thank you, guys. This is Bruce Wang from MICROJIG, traveling west from Orlando, Florida. Last year, you kindly shared with me the importance of getting the best reputation you can and behaving well. This year I'd like to ask and preface with, Bill Gates wrote, "Warren's gift is being able to think ahead of the crowd. It requires more than taking his aphorisms to the heart to accomplish that, although Warren is full of aphorisms well worth taking to heart." And he also added that, "I've never met anyone who thought in business in such a clear way." Warren, what elusive, yet obvious to you, truth has allowed you to think ahead of the crowd and build a clear mental framework to produce a historically significant institution powerhouse brand? And, Charlie, same to you, what obvious truth presents itself so clearly to you, but many would fervently disagree with you upon?
沃伦·巴菲特我想我听懂了这个问题,而且我——你知道,在投资学习方面,我受惠于本·格雷厄姆极多。在认识商业方面,我受惠于查理极多。再者我也一直在接触——我的意思是,我花了一辈子时间观察企业,琢磨为什么有些能成功,有些却不行。你知道,正如尤吉·贝拉所说,光靠观察就能看到很多东西。这差不多就是我和查理长期以来一直在做的事。而且你会——我之前提到过模式识别——你知道,有——你——我想说,认清自己做不到什么也很重要。所以我们有——我们可能尝试过百货商店生意和其他一些东西,但我们——我们一般只试着在好球带里挥棒,而且是我们特定的好球带。实际上比这复杂不了多少。你不需要——投资行业并不需要你在生活中某些其他活动所需的那种智商。但你确实需要——你必须要有情绪控制力。我的意思是,我们看到非常聪明的人做非常蠢的事,人类竟会如此,着实令人着迷。就拿那些先变得非常富有,然后又以某种方式加杠杆最后输得精光的人来说吧。他们是在拿对自己重要的东西,去冒险追逐对自己并不重要的东西。这道理可以说一年级小孩都能想明白,但人们却一次又一次地重蹈覆辙。你还经常能看到这样那样的自我毁灭行为。我想我们大概——这不需要天才才能做到,但我想我们算是避开了自我毁灭的行为。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTI think I got the question, and I — you know, I owe a great deal to Ben Graham in terms of learning about investing. And I learned a — I owe a great deal to Charlie, in terms of learning a lot about business. And then I've also been around — I mean, I spent a lifetime, you know, looking at businesses and why some work and why some don't work. You know, as Yogi Berra said, you can see a lot just by observing. And that's pretty much what Charlie and I have been doing for a long time. And you do — I mentioned pattern recognition earlier — you know, there's — you — and I would say it's important to recognize what you can't do. So we have — we may have tried the department store business and a few things, but we've — we've generally tried to only swing at things in the strike zone, and our particular strike zone. And it really hasn't been much more complicated than that. You do not need — you don't need the IQ in the investment business that you need in certain activities in life. But you do have — you do have to have emotional control. I mean, we see very smart people do very stupid things, and it's fascinating how humans do that. Just take the people that get very rich and then leverage themselves up in some way that they lose everything. I mean, they are risking something that's important to them for something that isn't important to them. Well, you can say, you could figure that one out in first grade, but people do it time after time. And you see that constantly, self-destructive behavior of one way or another. I think we've probably — and it doesn't take a genius to do it, but I think we've sort of avoided the self-destructive behavior. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,就是那么几个简单的小窍门很管用——特别好用,尤其如果你天生就有那种兼具耐心和机会主义的气质。我觉得这很大程度上是天生的,尽管我猜在一定程度上也能后天习得。此外,我觉得还有另一个因素可以解释伯克希尔能取得如此成就,那就是我们确实在努力端正品行。我有位曾祖父,他去世的时候,牧师在悼词中说,没有人嫉妒这个人的成功,因为他赢得公平,用得明智。这个想法非常简单,但恰恰是伯克希尔努力在做的。有很多人赚了大钱,但人人都恨他们,不佩服他们赚钱的方式。我对靠开赌场赚钱也不是特别佩服。而且,你知道,我们连一家赌场都没有。我们还拒绝过一些生意,包括一家大型烟草公司。所以,我认为如果我们只是一味地极度精明,但缺少一点刚才牧师说我祖父英厄姆的那种品质,伯克希尔不会做得这么好。我们希望人们认为我们赢得公平,用得明智。这确实很管用。(掌声。)
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, there's just a few simple tricks that work — work well, and particularly if you've got a temperament that has a combination of patience and opportunism in it. And I think that's largely inherited, although I suppose it can be learned to some extent. Then I think there's another factor that accounts for the fact that Berkshire has done as well as it has, is that we're really trying to behave well. And I had a great-grandfather. When he died, the preacher gave the talk, and he said none envied this man's success, so fairly won and wisely used. That's a very simple idea, but it's exactly what Berkshire's trying to do. There are a lot of people who make a lot of money and everybody hates them, and they don't admire the way they earned the money. And I'm not particularly admirable of making money running gambling casinos. And, you know, we don't own any. And we've turned down businesses, including a big tobacco business. So, I don't think Berkshire would work as well if we were just terribly shrewd, but didn't have a little bit of what the preacher said about my grandfather, Ingham. We want to have people think of us as having won fairly and used wisely. It works. (Applause.)
沃伦·巴菲特而且我们极其幸运,出生在了这个时代和这个地方。我的意思是,我们——要是把我们放到别的年代或世界的另一个角落,结局就可能完全不同——
WARREN BUFFETTAnd we were very, very lucky to be born when we were and where we were. And I mean, we — you could've dropped us at some other place in time or some other part of the world, and things would've turned out —
查理·芒格再想想你有多幸运,有你弗雷德叔叔。沃伦有个叔叔,是我认识的最好的人之一。我以前也给他打过工。你知道,很多人的亲戚都很糟糕。(笑声。)
CHARLIE MUNGERAnd think of how lucky you were to have your Uncle Fred. Warren had an uncle who was one of the finest men I ever knew. I used to work for him, too. You know, a lot of people have terrible relatives. (Laughter.)
沃伦·巴菲特这一点并非不重要。就在昨天,我们开了一个家族聚会,所有堂表亲都来了,一大堆人,趁着股东大会期间聚一聚。大概有四五十个人。他们翻出了一些老照片,我有四个姑姑,她们都在这些照片里——每一个都——你知道,我是说,能有一个这样的亲人就够幸运了,而我有四个。我的意思是,她们就是——在各个方面强化了很多在我身上需要强化的事情。
WARREN BUFFETTThat's not an unimportant point. Just yesterday, we had a meeting of all my cousins and a whole bunch that we just get together at the annual meeting time. There are probably 40 of us or 50 of us there. And they were pulling out some old pictures, and four — I had four aunts, they are all in these pictures — and every one of them — you know, I mean, you were so lucky to have one like that, and I had four. I mean, they just were — in every way they reinforced a lot of things that needed some reinforcement in my case.
查理·芒格我真希望你再多两个姑姑。(笑声。)
CHARLIE MUNGERI wish you'd had a couple more. (Laughter.)
沃伦·巴菲特但——
WARREN BUFFETTBut —
查理·芒格那样我们会做得更好。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe'd be doing even better.
沃伦·巴菲特不过,他提到了我弗雷德叔叔,但我凯蒂姑姑也在店里工作过。我爱丽丝姑姑也在店里干过,她们就是——你简直找不到比她们更好的人。我想查理也会同意这点。
WARREN BUFFETTBut, he mentioned my Uncle Fred, but my Aunt Katie worked in the store, too. My Aunt Alice worked in the store, and they just — you just couldn't have been around better people. I think Charlie would agree with that.
查理·芒格是啊。嗯,我们非常幸运。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah. Well, we were very lucky.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。不过我祖父有点严厉。查理,跟他们说说我祖父星期六给你发工资时通常怎么做。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. My grandfather was a little tough, however. Tell them what my grandfather used to do when he paid you on Saturday, Charlie.
查理·芒格哦,那很有意思。沃伦是个民主党人,但他出身背景不同。我给他的祖父欧内斯特打过工,他这个人很认真。(笑)当社会保障法案通过的时候,他很不赞成,因为他觉得这会削弱自力更生精神——他付我 2 美元干 10 个小时的活,那会儿还没有最低工资——那是很累的 10 个小时,在星期六。干完 10 个小时的活,我进去,他让我给他 2 美分,算是我的社保缴款。(笑声)然后他给了我两张 1 美元的钞票,并开始长篇大论地教训我,说民主党多坏、福利国家多坏、缺乏自力更生精神有多要不得,一直说个没完没了。所以,我也有正确的背景磨炼。有欧内斯特·巴菲特教导我该怎么做。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, that was very interesting. Warren's a Democrat, but he came from different antecedents. I worked for his grandfather, Ernest, and he was earnest. (Laughs) And when they passed Social Security, which he disapproved of because he thought it reduced self-reliance — and he paid me $2 for 10 hours work, there was no minimum wage in those days — on Saturday, and it was a hard ten hours. At the end of the ten hours, I came in and he made me give him two pennies, which was my contribution to Social Security. (Laughter) And he gave me two $1 bills and a long lecture about the evils of Democrats, and the welfare state, and a lack of self-reliance, and it went on and on and on and on. So, I had the right antecedents, too. I had Ernest Buffett telling me what to do.
沃伦·巴菲特好了。家族史就聊到这儿吧。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Enough family history.
查理·芒格我没夸大其词,对吧?
CHARLIE MUNGERI haven't overstated that, have I?
沃伦·巴菲特没有,你一点也没夸大。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTNo, you haven't overstated it at all. (Laughs)
查理·芒格你简直不敢相信有人能——那人还觉得自己这么做是在履行对全世界的义务。
CHARLIE MUNGERYou can't believe what people — and he thought he was doing his duty by the world to do that.
沃伦·巴菲特不过我们当时很幸运。我们年轻时身边那些人,让我们非常幸运。
WARREN BUFFETTBut we were lucky then. The people we were around when we were young, we were very lucky.
尽职调查查不出收购一家公司的实际风险
Due diligence doesn't find the real risks of buying a company
沃伦·巴菲特安德鲁。
WARREN BUFFETTAndrew.
安德鲁·罗斯·索金“沃伦、查理,你们以在一天之内靠一次握手就达成交易而闻名。你们引以为豪的是,尽职调查主要靠自己,相关开支极少。其他成功的收购公司会用内部团队、外部投行、咨询顾问和律师去做尽职调查,往往花好几个月去评估交易。速度或许是一种竞争优势。你们完成过一些相当了不起的交易。但你们的尽职调查方式,是否也让我们承担了更大的风险?如果有一天你们不在了,你们会建议伯克希尔如何调整我们做交易的方式?”
ANDREW ROSS SORKIN"Warren and Charlie, you're famous for making a deal over a day or two with nothing more than a handshake. You pride yourself on the small overhead of doing the diligence mostly yourself. Other successful acquisitive companies use teams of internal people, outside bankers, consultants, and lawyers to due diligence, often over many months to assess deals. Speed may be a competitive advantage. You've done some amazing deals. But does your diligence process also put us at greater risk? And if you're ever gone, how would you recommend Berkshire change how we approach dealmaking?
沃伦·巴菲特是的。我经常被问到这个问题,有时——经常是律师问。事实上,我们自己——我们跟芒格·托尔斯律师事务所聊过,这也是他们问我的问题之一,为什么我们不做更多尽职调查,按小时算钱给他们。(笑声)有意思。我们在收购中犯过很多错误。很多。在没做成的收购上也犯过错,但错误总是关于对公司所在行业未来经济状况的错误判断。不是一份糟糕的租约。不是一份特定的劳动合同。不是一项有问题的专利。不是那些美国大公司每次收购时列在清单上的东西。那些东西都不算数。重要的是,你是否搞错了——你是否切实把握住了基本的经济状况以及行业会如何发展,或者亚马逊几年后会不会干掉他们,诸如此类的事情。我们发现,没有哪份尽职调查清单能抓住我们认为收购一家公司时的核心风险。就像我说的,我们犯过——我们至少犯过——哦,至少半打错误,如果算上该做没做的错误,可能更多。但这些错误中,没有一个能靠做更多尽职调查来解决。它们可能得靠我们更聪明点才能避免。这不是——起作用的不是清单上的东西。评估一个管理者——我准备把一个十亿美元的生意连同股票交给他——评估他未来经营这家公司的行为会不会和过去他自己拥有它时不一样,这一点极其重要,但世界上没有任何清单能回答这个问题。所以,如果我们认为存在一些重要的尽职调查项目被我们忽略了——顺便说一句,确实有一些会被涵盖。我是说,你得确认他们没有卖出两倍于你买的股份之类的事情。但它们——如果我们觉得在评估企业未来经济前景方面遗漏了重要的东西,你知道,我们一定会深挖下去。但问题是——你知道,我们买喜诗糖果时,它可能有一百五十份租约。我们买精密铸件时,他们有 170 家工厂,某些地方肯定会有污染问题。但这些并不决定一笔 320 亿美元的收购五年或十年后看起来是否划算。我们试着聚焦在这些事上。而且我确实认为,至少对某些人来说,我们的操作方式可能促进了交易——它减少了在小事上的争吵。我见过交易谈崩,就是因为人们开始争论某个无关紧要的点,然后自尊心掺和进来,画下红线,等等。我觉得我们获益很多。当我们开始做一笔交易时,通常能做成。查理。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I get that question fairly often, sometimes — often from lawyers. In fact, our own — we talked to Munger Tolles, the law firm, and that was one of the questions I got, why we didn't do more due diligence, which we would have paid them by the hour for. The — (Laughter) It's interesting. We've made plenty of mistakes in acquisitions. Plenty. And we made mistakes in not making acquisitions, but the mistakes are always about making an improper assessment of the economic conditions in the future of the industry of the company. They're not a bad lease. They're not a specific labor contract. They're not a questionable patent. They're not the things that are on the checklist, you know, for every acquisition by every major corporation in America. Those are not the things that count. What counts is whether you're wrong about — whether you've really got a fix on the basic economics and how the industry's likely to develop, or whether Amazon's likely to kill them, you know, in a few years, or that sort of thing. We have not found a due diligence list that gets at what we think are the real risks when we buy a business. And like I say, we've made — we've certainly made at least — oh, at least a half a dozen mistakes and probably a lot more if you get into mistakes of omission. But none of those would have been cured by a lot more due diligence. They might have been cured by us being a little smarter. It isn't — it just isn't the things that are on the checklist that really count. Assessing whether a manager, who I'm going to hand a billion dollars to, for his business, and he is going to hand me a stock certificate, assessing whether he's going to behave differently in the future in running that business than he has in the past when he owned it, that's incredibly important, but there's no checklist in the world that's going to answer that. So, if we thought there were items of due diligence — and incidentally, there are a few that get covered. I mean, you want to make sure that they don't have twice as many shares out as you're buying or something of the sort. But they're — if we thought there were things that we were missing that were of importance in assessing the future economic prospects of the business, you know, we would, by all means, drill down on those. But the question of — you know, when we bought See's, it probably had 150 leases. You know, when we — when we buy Precision Castparts, they have 170 plants, you know, there's going to be pollution problems at some place. Those are — that is not what determines whether a $32 billion acquisition is going to look good five years from now, or ten years from now. We try to focus on those things. And I do think it probably facilitates things with, at least, certain people that our method of operation does cut down — You get into squabbles on small things. I've seen deals fall apart because people start arguing about some unimportant point, and their egos get involved, and, you know, they draw lines in the sand and all of that. I think we gain a lot. When we start to make a deal, it usually gets done. Charlie.
查理·芒格这个嘛,你静下来想一想,企业质地的好坏,通常并不取决于你是不是把某份老租约里的某个细节抠得滴水不漏。而那些会留下来继续经营的管理层,其人品素质极其重要。可你又怎么能靠尽职调查去核查这一点呢?我认为——据我所知,在判断企业质地和人员品质方面,没有谁的整体记录比伯克希尔更好。收购之后,企业是要靠这些人来带领的,我不觉得换一套方法就能有什么改善。所以我的答案是,至少对我们来说,我们现在这样做正是我们应该做的。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, if you stop to think about it, business quality usually counts on something more than whether you cross the T in some old lease or something. And the human quality of the management who are going to stay are very important. And how are you going to check that as — by due diligence, you know? And I think — I don't know anybody who's had a generally better record than Berkshire in judging business quality and the human quality of the people. We're going to lead the business after it's acquired, and I don't think it would've improved at all by using some different method. So I think the answer is that for us, at least, we're doing it the way we should.
沃伦·巴菲特拖拖拉拉的谈判有一种倾向——它们更可能因为某种原因而谈崩。我是说,人心——他们可能在极小的细节上变得固执,固执是件傻事,但人有时候就是会犯傻。我喜欢让事情保持推进。我愿意对对方表现出一定程度的信任,因为信任通常也会换来信任。不过,你懂的,实际上,外面确实有些烂苹果,而光看文件是发现不了他们的。你确实得去掂量,那个从你手里接过一大笔现金的人,将来会怎么做——因为我们是靠他们的。这种评估的重要性不亚于任何其他事——你知道,我们进场时已经掌握了所有数字和全部信息,也知道我们愿意付多少钱,所以我们不希望谈判在细节上卡住。在一笔交易里,我非常愿意在一些小点上让步。只要交易的总体条件合理,我就不赞成——汤姆·墨菲教过我这一点——我的意思是,你知道,你别老想着每个点都要赢。那是个大错。你把交易谈得大体公道,如果发现某处细节稍微有点不一样,那没问题。如果你觉得那是恶意,暴露了对方的人品问题,那你就遇上另一个麻烦了,早点发现反而算你走运。查理,还有要补充的吗?
WARREN BUFFETTNegotiations that drag out have a tendency — they're more likely to blow up for some reason. I mean, people — they can get obstinate about very small points, and it's silly to be obstinate, but people get silly sometimes. I like to keep things moving. I like to show a certain amount of trust in the other person, because usually trust comes back to you. But the — you know, the truth is there's some bad apples out there, and spotting them is not going to come from looking at documents. You really have to size up whether that person who's getting a lot of cash from you is going — how they're going to behave in the future, because we're counting on them. And that assessment is as important as anything involved — you know, we know all the figures and everything going in, and we know what we'll pay, and so we don't want things to get gummed up in negotiations. And I'm perfectly willing to lose small points here and then on a deal. If I have the deal on the right terms, I don't believe in — in making a — and Tom Murphy taught me this — I mean, you know, you just don't try and win every point. It's a terrible mistake. You make a decent deal, and if you find something that bends a little different someway, that's OK. If you think it's bad faith and gives an indication of the character of the person you're dealing with, then you got another problem, and you're lucky if you find that out early. Charlie, any more?
查理·芒格在座各位婚姻幸福的人当中,有多少人是仔细核实过配偶出生证明之类的?(笑声)我猜,我们的方法并没有看上去那么另类。
CHARLIE MUNGERHow many people who, in this room, are happily married, carefully checked their spouse's birth certificate and so on? (Laughter) My guess is that our methods are not so uncommon as they appear.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊,这我得琢磨琢磨。(掌声)
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I'll think about that. (Applause.)
“我们不看头衔”
"We don't pay any attention to titles"
沃伦·巴菲特好,格雷格。
WARREN BUFFETTOK, Gregg.
格雷格·沃伦沃伦,本月早些时候宣布,当泰德·蒙特罗斯从通用再保险退休后,阿吉特·贾恩将接手掌管伯克希尔旗下所有再保险业务。这一变动不仅引发了关于领导层结构调整的疑问,也涉及继任规划。考虑到再保险市场的现状,让阿吉特同时掌管两块业务确实是合理之举,尤其是在定价环境预计还将困难十年的情况下,而且两块业务存在可以精简的重叠环节。鉴于这一调整,以及过去几年里我们看到的伯克希尔多家子公司职责的变动,我想请问您能否给我们透露一下,子公司层面的继任规划是如何进行的?另外,您能否分享一些洞见,是什么原因让您最终决定由阿吉特统一掌管伯克希尔旗下的两支再保险力量?以及,这是否会影响您在特种保险业务方面的工作量?非常感谢。
GREGG WARRENWarren, the announcement earlier this month, that Ajit Jain would be taking over responsibility for all of Berkshire's reinsurance efforts once Tad Montross retires from General Re, has raised some questions about not only the change in leadership structure but succession planning. Given the state of the reinsurance market, it makes sense to have Ajit overseeing both businesses, especially if the pricing environment expected to be difficult for another ten years, and there are duplicative efforts that can be streamlined. Given this move and the change in responsibilities we've seen at several of Berkshire's subsidiaries the last few years, I was just wondering if you could just give us some color on how succession planning is handled at the subsidiary level, and any insight you could give us into what led you to finally decide to have Ajit oversee both of Berkshire's reinsurance arms, and whether or not it will change the amount of work you'll be doing on the specialty side of the business, would be greatly appreciated.
沃伦·巴菲特好的。泰德·蒙特罗斯在伯克希尔工作了 39 年,干得极为出色。你知道,起初——(掌声)——通用再保险曾经是个问题孩子,这个大家都知道。有些问题是它自己造成的,有些是外部因素。泰德——我是说,他非常出色,我试过好几次,也许在月数上成功过,但在年数上没有说服他多留一阵。如你所说,让再保险业务统一归阿吉特管是合理的。阿吉特在保险领域能掌管的业务越来越多——他还监管一家叫 GUARD 的公司,大多数人可能没听过,我们几年前买下来的,现在做得非常好。这家公司总部在宾夕法尼亚州的威尔克斯-巴里,在全国范围内做小企业保单,主要是工伤保险,干得很出色。纳入阿吉特麾下后,它蓬勃发展。他几年前启动了专业保险业务,在彼得[伊斯特伍德]的带领下,现在势头极猛。我发现——这点很有意思,但确实如此——极其能干的人,他们能做的事多得惊人。我是说,他们几乎——就拿卡罗尔·索瓦来说吧,她负责组织这次股东大会。如果你抱着先入为主的观念,认为一场有 4 万人参加的股东大会一定需要花几百万美元、搞各种组织规划、开一次又一次的会,那你就错了。极其能干的人——我的助理黛比·博萨内克,她什么都能干。所以有才华的人能做到的事,几乎是无限的。如果明天保险方面还有别的事需要做,我可能也会找阿吉特。所以这和我的继任——你知道,那件事——我们周一要开董事会,但我们会在每次会议上像往常一样讨论——你知道,我们——我们的想法是一致的,每个人都清楚为什么那个方案最合理。但五年后,可能又是另一回事了。这也是为什么不公布任何名字的一个原因。我是说,谁知道到时候会发生什么事,或者当事人会怎样?也许他们的情况变了。所以,阿吉特从此刻起监管通用再保险,这里面没有什么隐藏信号。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, Tad Montross, after 39 years, has done an absolutely sensational job for Berkshire. You know, originally — (applause) Gen Re was a problem child for a while, as you know. Some brought on by itself and some external. But the — and Tad is — I mean, he's sensational, and I tried several times, maybe successfully in terms of months but not in terms of years, to get him to stay on longer. As you say, it makes sense to have the reinsurance operation under Ajit. Ajit's ability to handle more and more things in insurance — he oversees a company called GUARD, which most of you have never heard it, and we bought it a few years ago, and it's doing terrifically. It's based in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. It's doing a great job with small business policies, primarily workers' comp, around the country. And it's flourished, you know, being put under Ajit. He started the specialty operation a couple years ago, and under Peter [Eastwood], that is going gangbusters. And I have found — and this is interesting, but it's true — I have found with really able people, they can handle so much. I mean, they almost — well, just take Carrie Sova, that put this meeting together. You know, if you have some preconceived notion that an annual meeting that's going to have 40,000 people therefore needs, you know, to spend millions of dollars with all kinds of organizational planning and meetings and meetings and meetings, but really able people — my assistant, Debbie Bosanek, she can do anything. So there's just no limit to what talented people can accomplish. And if I had something else in insurance tomorrow that needed doing, I'd probably call Ajit on that, too. So it has no — you know, in terms of my succession, that's something — we'll have a board meeting on Monday, but we'll talk about it as we always do at every meeting and — you know, when — we haven't — our thoughts are as one on that, and everybody knows why it makes the most sense. But five years from now, something different could make sense. That's one reason for not announcing any names. I mean, who knows what happens in terms of the time when it happens or what happens to the person involved? Maybe their situation changes. So it's not a — there are no tea leaves to read in the fact that Ajit is supervising Gen Re from this point forward. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,这事还有另一面。有能力的人通常不但能做更多事,而那些没能力的人,你大体上是没法把他们修好的。所以——
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, and there's an obverse side of that. Not only can the able people usually do a lot more, but the unable people by and large you can't fix. So —
沃伦·巴菲特那倒是一点不假。
WARREN BUFFETTThat is for sure.
查理·芒格我认为,只要你清醒理智,就必定会采用我们这套体系。
CHARLIE MUNGERI think you're forced to use our system if you have your wits about you.
沃伦·巴菲特我们也不觉得有必要遵循什么常见的组织观点,比如你该这样做、只能有多少人向你汇报之类的。伯克希尔——每遇到一项决策,我们就尽力找出当时最合理的做法。我们心里并没有什么宏大的设计蓝图,比如军队组织架构图之类的东西,以后也永远不会搞那一套。
WARREN BUFFETTAnd we don't feel the need to follow any kind of organizational common view as to, you know, you do this and you have — only so many people can report to you or any of this sort of thing. Berkshire — every decision that comes up, you know, we just try and figure out the most logical thing to do at that time. But we don't have some grand design in mind of, you know, like an army organizational chart or something of the sort, and we never will.
查理·芒格我和沃伦有一次决定,某样东西我们不会支付超过 X 美元。我们手下一个负责此事的人直接说:“你们俩疯了。这太蠢了。这是一个优质业务,你们应该多付钱买下来。”我俩互相看了一眼,就按他说的做了。
CHARLIE MUNGERWarren and I once reached a decision we wouldn't pay more than X dollars for something, and the man who was subordinate to both of us who was working on it just said, you guys are out of your minds. This is really stupid. This is a quality operation, you ought to pay up for it. We just looked at one another, and did it his way.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
查理·芒格我们不在意头衔或——
CHARLIE MUNGERWe don't pay any attention to titles or —
沃伦·巴菲特他也是对的。
WARREN BUFFETTHe was right, too.
查理·芒格他当然是对的,是啊。(笑)
CHARLIE MUNGERHe was right, yeah, of course. (Laughs)
沃伦·巴菲特好的,抱歉。你还有——?
WARREN BUFFETTOK. I'm sorry. Have you got —?
查理·芒格就算是个清洁女工给了我们好主意,我们也会欣然接受。
CHARLIE MUNGERIf a charwoman gave us a good idea, we'd accept it cheerfully.
沃伦·巴菲特其实,有一次那位帮我打扫办公室的女士走了进来。我猜她可能一直在琢磨我究竟是干什么的——毕竟我经常见到她,她叫鲁比。终于有一天,她决定直击要害,问我:“巴菲特先生,您有没有弄到过什么好马?”显然,她以为我赚钱的地方是在赛马场上。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTActually, one time the woman that does clean my office came in, and I think she'd been kind of wondering what I did, you know, based on — and I'd see her frequently, and her name was Ruby. And finally one day she decided to really get to the heart of the matter, and she said, "Mr. Buffett, do you ever get any good horses?" Apparently thought this is where I was really making my money, was at the track, but — (Laughter)
“评级机构搞错了”——伯克希尔
"The rating agencies are wrong" on Berkshire
沃伦·巴菲特好,1 号位。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 1.
现场股东您好,巴菲特先生——
AUDIENCE MEMBERHello, Mr. Buffett —
沃伦·巴菲特你好。
WARREN BUFFETTHi.
现场股东——芒格先生。我是尼拉夫·帕特尔,来自马萨诸塞州哈弗希尔。感谢您回答我的问题。伯克希尔·哈撒韦管理得如此出色,为什么它的债券评级不是最高的?
AUDIENCE MEMBER— Mr. Munger. Nirav Patel. Haverhill, Massachusetts. Thank you for taking my question. With Berkshire Hathaway being so well managed, why doesn't it have a highest credit bond rating?
查理·芒格这个问题我来答。
CHARLIE MUNGERLet me take that one.
沃伦·巴菲特好。
WARREN BUFFETTOK.
查理·芒格评级机构搞错了——(笑声和掌声)——而且积习难改。
CHARLIE MUNGERThe rating agencies are wrong — (laughter and applause) — and set in their ways.
沃伦·巴菲特而且我们不太符合他们的模型。
WARREN BUFFETTAnd we don't fit their model very well.
查理·芒格对。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。我是说,我们跟他们见过的任何东西都不太一样。不过——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I mean, we don't look like anything, exactly, they see otherwise. But —
查理·芒格但答案就是这个。
CHARLIE MUNGERBut that's the answer.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。我们——(笑声)不过我要说一句。每次他们进门,我都会说:“咱们聊聊四 A 级。”我觉得谈判得从这个起点开始。不过从来没谈成过。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. And we — (Laughter) I'll say this, though. What I do, when they come in the door, I always say, "Let's talk quadruple-A." I believe in starting the negotiation from that standpoint. I never get any place.
3G 的成本削减没有伤到卡夫亨氏
3G's cost cutting hasn't hurt Kraft Heinz
沃伦·巴菲特好,卡罗尔。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Carol.
卡罗尔·卢米斯关于伯克希尔几年前与 3G 建立的融资与工作关系,问题还在继续涌入,这是其中一个:“3G 在削减成本和提高卡夫亨氏利润率方面非常成功,但公司的销量和收入却在下滑。作为一名长期投资者,您如何判断管理层是在切脂肪,还是在切肌肉?一家企业能在削减成本的同时增加收入吗?”我忘了说,这个问题来自纽约市的里克·史密斯。
CAROL LOOMISQuestions continuing to come in about the financing and working relationship that Berkshire formed with 3G a couple of years ago, and this is one of those questions: "While 3G has been very successful in cutting costs and increasing margins at Kraft Heinz, the company has seen volumes and revenues decline. As a long-term investor, how do you judge when a management is cutting muscle as well as fat? Can a business increase revenues while cutting costs?" And I forgot to say, this came from Rick Smith at New York City.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,答案是,是的,有时候你可能砍掉不该砍的成本,而且你——有时候你也可能留着不该留的成本。汤姆·墨菲的做法最理想。我是说,他从不招一个不需要的人,因此他们从来不用裁员。你可以说,在伯克希尔总部,我们遵循了类似的做法。你永远不会——我们就是不——我们不会随便招人。现在,我认为一家公司如果——如果你身处周期性行业,你可能不得不裁员,因为铁路货运车数减少了,或者类似的情况,所以你得裁掉起重机操作员之类的人员——但那种因为业务放缓就减掉你的员工,不管他们是什么岗位,比如经济学家或类似角色——如果你现在不需要他们,那当初就不该需要他们。我是说,那些人之所以在那里,仅仅是因为有人成立了一个部门,然后又招了更多人,诸如此类。要我说——既然我们今天还没得罪这个群体——我猜这种情况可能发生在投资者关系部门,或者类似的地方。你瞧,你弄来一些人——你成立了一个部门,他们总想扩张。理想的做法是一开始就别这么做。但美国有各种各样的公司,里面塞满了人,他们要么根本不干什么实事,要么就是在做错事。如果你把这些砍掉,实际上不应该对业务量产生什么显著影响。另一方面,如果你砍错了东西,就可能产生很大影响。我是说,这件事可以办得愚蠢,也可以办得聪明。根据我至今所见,而且我见了不少,我的印象是,3G 在他们所进行的成本削减上,判断极其明智,并没有做那些会减少业务量的事情。确实,在包装食品行业,所有人的销量趋势——无论他们的运营是臃肿还是精简——销量趋势都不好。而考验会随着时间推移而到来——比如三年、五年——那些已经削减了成本的业务,在销量上会不会比那些在我看来看起来相当臃肿的业务表现更差?到目前为止,我看不到任何这方面的证据。我确实认为,在卡夫亨氏,举例来说,我们有某些产品线销量会下降。我想我们有某些产品线会增长。但总体来看,包装食品行业在实物销量上不会有什么起色,可能还会略有下降。我没法——我从未——我从未见过有谁比 3G 管得更理性,当他们接管那些成本不必要高昂的业务,并能迅速把那些成本控制住的时候。至于销量问题,我们会边走边看。但相信我,我每个月都看那些数据,也看其他各家的数据,我试着——我一直在找有没有因所做决策而导致表现逊色的任何迹象,而我一个也没看到。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTWell, the answer is, yes, that sometimes you can cut costs that are a mistake to cut, and you can — and sometimes you can keep costs that are a mistake to keep. Tom Murphy had the best approach. I mean, he never hired a person that he didn't need, and therefore, they never had layoffs. And you might say that at headquarters at Berkshire, we follow a similar approach. You would never — we just don't — we don't take on anybody. Now, I think it is totally crazy when companies are in — now, if you're in a cyclical business, you may have to cut a workforce because there aren't as many carloads of freight moving, or something like that, so you cut back on crane crews and all that — but the idea that you give up your staff, whatever it may be, economists or something like that, because business has slowed down — if you didn't need them — if you don't need them now, you didn't need them in the first place, you know. I mean, the people that are there just because somebody started a department, and they hired more people, and so on, I would argue that — since we've forgotten to insult this group so far — I would suggest that happens in investor relations departments, perhaps, or something of the sort. You know, you get people — you get a department going and they're always going to want to expand. The ideal method is not to do it in the first place. But there are all kinds of American companies that are loaded with people that aren't really doing anything or are doing the wrong thing. And if you cut that out, it should not really have any significant effect on volume. On the other hand, if you cut out the wrong things, you could have a big effect. I mean, it can be done in a dumb way or a smart way. My impression, with everything I've seen, and I've seen a fair amount so far, is that 3G, in terms of the cost cuts that they have made, have been extremely intelligent about it, and have not done things that will cut volume. It is true that in the packaged goods industry, volume trends for everybody — whether they're fat or lean in their operation — volume trends are not good. And the test will be over time — you know, three, five years — are the operations which have had their costs cut, do they do poor, in terms of volume, than the ones, that in my judgment, look very fat? So far I see no evidence of that whatsoever. I do think at Kraft Heinz, for example, we've got certain lines that will decline in volume. I think we've got certain lines that will increase. But I think overall, the packaged goods industry is not going to go anyplace in terms of physical volume, and it may decline just a bit. I can't — I've never — I've never seen anybody run anything more sensibly than 3G has, in terms of taking over operations where costs were unnecessarily high, and getting those costs under control in a hurry. And the volume question, we'll look at as we go along. But believe me, I look at those figures every month, and I look at everybody else's figures every month, and I try to — I'm always looking for any signs of underperformance because of any decisions made, and I've seen none. Charlie?
查理·芒格对。而且有时候你减少销量,是非常明智的,因为你正在丢弃的那些销量是亏钱的。一家企业不仅常常拥有超出自身需求的员工,有时它还有两三个最好没有的客户。所以,仅仅因为销量略有涨跌,外人很难判断事情是好是坏。总的来讲,我认为人员精简的公司,在所有方面都比机构臃肿的公司干得更好。我觉得机构臃肿就像是一个正常人硬长到了 400 磅。这不是什么好事。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah. And sometimes when you reduce volume, it's very intelligent, because you're losing money on the volume you're discarding. It's quite common for a business, not only to have more employees than it needs, but sometimes it has two or three customers that it would be better off without. And so it's hard to judge from outside whether things are good or bad just because volume is going up or down a little. Generally speaking, I think the leanly-staffed companies do better at everything than the ones that are overstaffed. I think overstaffing is like getting to weigh 400 pounds when you're a normal person. It's not a plus.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。一个领域思维马虎,往往意味着其他地方也很可能有马虎的思维。我曾担任 19 家上市公司的董事,见过一些极其马虎的运营,也见过少数几位确实出类拔萃的企业经营者。两者之间有着天壤之别。如果你拥有一家优秀的企业,马虎一点也能蒙混过关。我们在伯克希尔每年可能浪费 10 亿美元,你知道,税后 6.5 亿,那只是盈利的 4%,说不定你都注意不到。但——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Sloppy thinking in one area probably indicates there may well be sloppy thinking elsewhere. And I have been a director of 19 public corporations, and I've seen some very sloppy operations, and I've seen a few really outstanding business operators. And there's a huge, huge difference. If you have a wonderful business, you can get away with being sloppy. We could be wasting a billion dollars a year at Berkshire, you know, 650 million after tax, that'd be 4 percent of earnings, and maybe you wouldn't notice it. But —
查理·芒格我会注意到。
CHARLIE MUNGERI would.
沃伦·巴菲特——它会增长。(笑声)查理会注意到,所以我——但那些真正繁荣的公司——有些——嗯,我想经典案例就是很多年前的烟草公司。我是说,它们,你懂的,它们东一榔头西一棒子地去搞这个搞那个,那简直就像是在玩票,因为钱来得太容易了,而且这并不需要,你知道——这并不需要优秀的管理,而它们就吃准了这一点。《门口的野蛮人》里能读到一些这方面的事。
WARREN BUFFETT— it grows. (Laughter) Charlie would notice it, so I — But it's the really prosperous companies that — you know, some — well, the classic case I think were the tobacco companies many years ago. I mean, they, you know, they went off into this thing and that thing and — and it was practically play money because it was so easy to make, and it didn't require, you know — it didn't require good management, and they took advantage of that fact. You can read about some of that in "Barbarians at the Gate."
我们为 Van Tuyl 实际支付的价格比表面看起来要低
We paid less for Van Tuyl than it appears
沃伦·巴菲特好。乔纳森。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Jonathan.
乔纳森·布兰特伯克希尔用 41 亿美元收购了 Van Tuyl 的汽车零售业务,并在去年合并了其近 10 个月的盈利。考虑到该行业普遍的收购倍数、利润率以及汽车零售销售的创纪录水平,看起来这笔收购对伯克希尔 2015 年利润的贡献似乎比表面上要少,尽管很难准确判断,因为其业绩与德国摩托车服装收购业务的业绩合并在一起了,而后者仅持有了部分年份。我理解那些可抵扣税的无形资产会降低 Van Tuyl 的有效收购价格,但我仍然想知道,是否存在任何一次性费用,或者保险和金融业务的利润是否可能被报告在零售部门之外?
JONATHAN BRANDTBerkshire paid 4.1 billion for Van Tuyl's auto retailing business and consolidated its earnings for nearly ten months last year. Given prevailing acquisition multiples in the industry, and margins, and the record level of retail auto sales, it seems that the acquisition should have contributed more to Berkshire's bottom line in 2015 than it seemed to, although it's hard to tell for sure since its results were lumped in with those of the German motorcycle apparel acquisition, which was only owned for a part of the year, also. I understand the deductive — tax-deductible intangibles reduce the effective purchase price of Van Tuyl, but I still wonder whether there were any one-time charges or whether profits from insurance and finance operations could have been reported somewhere other than in the retail segment?
沃伦·巴菲特是的。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
乔纳森·布兰特我猜想伯克希尔在这笔收购上获得的回报比目前显示的要好,但我想知道您能否解释一下这笔交易可能的经济状况与我从年报数字中推断出来的情况之间的差异。
JONATHAN BRANDTI imagine Berkshire is earning a better return on the acquisition than is so far apparent, but I wonder if you could explain the difference between the likely economics of the deal and what I infer from the annual report figures.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。嗯,你说得对。它确实比看起来好。首先,我们在那 41 亿美元中大约获得了 10 亿美元的证券,而这些证券我们基本上是以 0.25% 的收益率来记账的。但那 10 亿美元归我们支配,它是随交易一起带来的。还有一些非常重要的收购会计费用,会持续几年,我很高兴采取了那种处理方式。Van Tuyl 的经济状况,我会说,几乎完全符合——如果你一年前让我做一个预测——我不做这个——但如果我做了,结果会跟现在的情况非常相似。而负责运营的杰夫·雷彻,他确实符合伯克希尔的模式。我的意思是,我们有一位一流的 CEO 在那里。但仅仅是起步,就从收购价格中减去 10 亿美元,然后还有一些允许摊销的项目的费用,这让你正确地看到相对于收购价格表面数字而言相当低的数字。到目前为止,它完全按计划进行,而且计划非常令人满意。好。第二个站点。我们还没有——顺便说一下——目前还没有太多运气,用我们购买 Van Tuyl 的相同指标来收购其他汽车经销商。我认为有一部分原因是人们以为我们为 Van Tuyl 付了比实际更多的钱。他们没有看到其中的某些因素,所以他们以为我们付了 X,因此他们也有权得到 X,但我们没付 X,所以至今我们几乎没有再进行收购。我希望将来能有所改变。但我们不会改变——我们不会改变我们的指标,就我们如何评估汽车经销商而言。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, you're right about it. It is better than it looks. For one thing, we got a billion dollars of securities, roughly, with the 4.1, and those securities we're basically carrying at a quarter of a percent. But that billion is available to us, and that came with the deal. There's some very significant acquisition accounting charges that will continue for a couple of years, and that I'm happy to have taken that way. The economics of Van Tuyl, I would say, have worked out almost exactly as — if you had me, a year ago, lay out a projection — I don't do it — but if I had, it would look very much like things have turned out. And Jeff Rachor, who runs that operation, really fits the Berkshire mold. I mean, we've got a first-class CEO there. But take a billion off the purchase price just for openers, and then there are some amortization charges of items that are allowable that make you correctly see a fairly low figure against what it appears the acquisition price was. So far, it's exactly on schedule, and the schedule was perfectly satisfactory. OK. Station 2. We haven't — incidentally — we haven't had much luck, so far, in acquiring other auto dealerships based on the same metrics that we bought Van Tuyl. And I think to a small degree, that's because people think we paid more for Van Tuyl than we did. They're not seeing certain factors in it, so they think we paid X, and therefore they're entitled to X, and we didn't pay X, so we haven't made — we've bought very little so far. I hope that changes in the future. But we're not going to change — we're not going to change our metrics, in terms of how we value auto dealerships.
“非常便宜的钱让我多付一点”
"Very cheap money makes me pay a little more"
沃伦·巴菲特好。第二个站点。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 2.
现场股东下午好,巴菲特先生和芒格先生。我是来自爱荷华州爱荷华市的约翰·戈里。当一个国家的利率从零变成负值时,这会如何改变您评估一家公司或股票的方式?您是因为贴现率低而选择高估值,还是另一方面,因为现金流可能很差而选择低估值?
AUDIENCE MEMBERGood afternoon, Mr. Buffett and Mr. Munger. I'm John Gorry from Iowa City, Iowa. When interest rates go from zero to negative in a country, how does that change the way that you value a company or a stock? Do you choose a high valuation because the discount rate is low, or on the other hand, do you choose a low valuation because the cash flow is likely to be poor?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,从零利率降到负零点五——虽然我们美国还没走到那一步——其实跟从 4% 降到 3.5% 没什么本质区别。当然,如果你得付给别人半个百分点,感觉上肯定不一样。但要是你的收益率——或者说基准利率——降了半个点,那确实有点影响,但不会很剧烈。最剧烈的,是利率整体处在这种水平上。我是说,不管利率是零、正零点二五、负零点二五、正零点五还是负零点五,我们面对的本质上是利率非常接近零的局面,而且这种情况已经持续了很久,比我想象的还要久。性质上,当利率为零的时候,你买一家企业愿意出的价钱,肯定比当年前美联储主席保罗·沃尔克在位、利率高达 15% 的时候要高,这个道理放之四海而皆准。我们并不会算得特别精确,因为这本身就不是一门精密的科学,但非常廉价的资金确实会让我买企业时多付点钱,而紧俏的资金则会让我少出价。你知道,两千六百年来我们有一条规则——伊索生活在公元前 600 年左右,他当然不知道那是“公元前”,但话又说回来,谁也不可能什么都知道——那条规则就是:手里的一只鸟,抵得上林中的两只。可现在在欧洲,手里的一只鸟只抵得上林中九成的鸟了,因为那取决于林子有多远,而且越往后价值还越低。所以说,在利率方面,眼下是非常不寻常的时代。如果你问我,是不是因为利率接近零,所以我为精密铸件公司多付了点钱——假如利率是 6% 我就不会付那么多——答案是肯定的。我尽量不多付太多,但利率确实有影响。如果利率长期保持在这个水平,而人们开始认为这种水平接近常态,那将对资产价值产生巨大的影响。现在已经有些影响了。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTWell, going from — which we haven't done in this country, yet — but going from zero to minus-a-half is really no different than going from 4 to 3 and a half. It has a different feel to it, obviously, if you have to pay a half a point to somebody. But if you have your yield — or your base rate — reduced by a half a point, it's of some significance, but it isn't dramatic. What's dramatic is interest rates being where they are, generally. I mean, whether they're zero, plus a quarter, minus a quarter, plus a half, minus a half, we are dealing with a situation of, essentially, very close to zero interest rates, and we have been for a long time and longer than I would've anticipated. The nature of it is that you'll pay more for a business when interest rates are zero than if they were, like, 15 percent when [former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul] Volcker was around, and you can take that up and down the line. I mean, we don't get too exact about it, because it isn't that exact a science, but very cheap money makes me pay a little more for businesses than when money was at what we previously thought was normal rates. And very tight money would cause me to pay somewhat less. I mean, you know, the — we had a rule for 2600 years that — Aesop lived around 600 BC, but he didn't happen to know it was BC, but, you know, you can't know everything — and it was that a bird in a hand is worth two in the bush. But a bird in the hand now is worth about nine-tenths of a bird in the bush in Europe, you know, because it depends on how far out the bush, but it keeps getting a little less as you go on. So these are very unusual times that way. And if you ask me whether I paid a little more for Precision Castparts because interest rates were around zero, than if they'd been 6 percent, the answer is yes. I try not to pay too much more, but it has an effect. And if interest rates continue at this rate for a long time, if people ever really start thinking something close to this is normal, that will have an enormous effect on asset values. It already has some effect. Charlie?
查理·芒格没错,但我认为没有人切实了解负利率。我们以前从来没有经历过。我们也从未经历过像日本那样的停滞期——除了大萧条时期——一个伟大的现代国家,用尽了各种货币手段、凯恩斯主义手段、刺激手段,却陷入了长达 25 年的停滞期。而所有那些研究过这些东西、并把它们教给我们下一代的经济学大师,也都不懂它。所以,我们只是尽我们所能做到最好。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah, but I don't think anybody really knows much about negative interest rates. We never had them before. And we've never had periods of stasis like — except for the Great Depression — we didn't have things like happened in Japan: great modern nation playing all the monetary tricks, Keynesian tricks, stimulus tricks, and mired in stasis for 25 years. And none of the great economists who have studied this stuff, and taught it to our children, understand it, either. So we just do the best we can.
沃伦·巴菲特但他们仍然不懂。
WARREN BUFFETTAnd they still don't understand it.
查理·芒格不懂。我们的优势在于,我们知道我们不懂。
CHARLIE MUNGERNo. Our advantage is that we know we don't understand it.
沃伦·巴菲特不过,这很有趣。我是说,这就像——你知道——这就像一部有趣的电影。而且它确实对我们为生意付出的价格有适度影响。至于——我觉得没人预料到它会持续这么久,查理,你个人觉得呢?
WARREN BUFFETTIt's interesting, though. I mean, we are — you know, it's — it makes for an interesting movie. And it does modestly affect what we pay for businesses. Whether — I don't think anybody expected it to last this long, do you Charlie, personally?
查理·芒格我觉得——如果你不感到困惑,那你就没有正确思考这件事。
CHARLIE MUNGERI don't think — if you're not confused, you haven't thought about it correctly.
沃伦·巴菲特没错。那我就是正确思考过了。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I thought about it correctly, then. (Laughs)
GEICO 与 IBM 合作无可奉告
No comment on GEICO-IBM cooperation
沃伦·巴菲特贝基。
WARREN BUFFETTBecky.
贝基·奎克沃伦,你过去提到过 GEICO 与 IBM 的 Watson 合作。
BECKY QUICKWarren, in the past you've talked about GEICO working with IBM's Watson.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
贝基·奎克这位股东吉列尔莫·贝尔穆德斯写信来问:“IBM 能否将 GEICO 参与开发并出资的解决方案,提供给保险行业里 GEICO 的竞争对手?”我想应该有保密条款保护 GEICO,因为 GEICO 在保险业务上指导了 IBM,如果竞争对手购买了 GEICO 和 IBM 联合开发的解决方案,GEICO 的优势可能会受到威胁,甚至被追平。
BECKY QUICKAnd this shareholder, Guillermo Bermudez, writes in and wants to know, "Would IBM be able to offer insurance industry competitors of GEICO the solutions developed with GEICO help and expense? "I would think that there would be confidentiality provisions to protect GEICO, because in as much as GEICO educates IBM as to insurance issues, GEICO could be at jeopardy of competitors gaining or equaling its advantage if they purchase solutions jointly developed by GEICO and IBM."
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。我想这个问题的答案是,双方都非常深入、广泛地考虑过这件事,任何一方都不会就此发表言论。我不喜欢不回答问题,但有些事回答了并不划算。我说得对吗,查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I would say the answer to that is that both parties have thought about that matter, very intensively and extensively, and neither would be in a position to talk about it. I don't like to not answer any questions, but there's some things that it doesn't pay to answer. Am I right, Charlie?
查理·芒格对,你当然是对的。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERYes, of course you're right. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特我喜欢他这么说。
WARREN BUFFETTI like that.
美国运通面临激烈竞争
American Express faces tough competition
沃伦·巴菲特克利夫。
WARREN BUFFETTCliff.
克利夫·加兰特您一直强调投资时长期视角的重要性。几十年来,您在美国运通上获得的丰厚回报似乎印证了您的观点。您过去谈到过美国运通自我革新的能力,但如今它看起来是一家没有替代业务的公司,品牌似乎也没有了往日的号召力。一个审慎的投资者——伯克希尔——难道不应该定期重新评估持有某项投资的理由吗?
CLIFF GALLANTYou've long stressed the importance of taking a long-term view when investing. Over the decades, your substantial returns in American Express seem to support your point. Now, you've talked in the past about the ability of American Express to reinvent itself over time, but today it seems to be a company that doesn't have alternative businesses and its brand doesn't seem to have the same cachet as it once did. Shouldn't a prudent investor — shouldn't Berkshire — periodically reassess its reasons for owning an investment?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我们几乎在持续不断地重新评估持有所有投资的理由。我和查理都这样做,我们通常意见大致一致,但有时分歧可能也相当大。毫无疑问,支付是一个让很多非常聪明、资源雄厚的人极为感兴趣的领域,而且——
WARREN BUFFETTWell, we reassess our reasons for owning all investments on almost a continuous basis. And both Charlie and I do that, and we're usually in a general range of agreement, but sometimes we are a fair distance apart, perhaps. There's no question that payments are an area of intense interest to a lot of very smart people, who have got a lot of resources, and —
查理·芒格而且变化迅速。
CHARLIE MUNGERAnd rapid change.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。而且变化迅速,未来也会继续变化。我个人对美国运通感觉还行。我们——我很乐意持有它。我觉得——但它的地位——几十年来一直受到冲击,最近更加激烈——而且会继续受到冲击。我是说,这块业务太大,也太过有趣,可能也太过诱人,让人无法忽视。而且它很能发挥一些非常聪明的人的才能。我是说,自然而然,很多相当有实力的组织都会打它的主意。而且它规模很大。所以——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. And rapid change, and it will change. And I personally feel OK about American Express. We — and I'm happy to own it. I think — but their position — and it has been under attack for decades, more intensively later — lately — and it will continue to be under attack. I mean, it's too big a business, and it's too interesting a business, and it could be too attractive a business, for people to ignore it. And it plays to the talents of some very smart people. I mean, it's a natural, that a great many organizations that are really quite able, think about it. And it's big. So —
查理·芒格很多伟大的企业都不如以前那么伟大了。包装消费品行业,比如宝洁这些公司——通用磨坊——它们都比巅峰时期弱了,还有——
CHARLIE MUNGERA lot of great businesses aren't quite so great as they used to be. The packaged good business, the Procter & Gambles and so forth of the world — General Mills — they're all weaker than they used to be at their peak and —
沃伦·巴菲特还有汽车公司。我是说,当我和查理年轻的时候——
WARREN BUFFETTAnd the auto companies. I mean when Charlie and I were —
查理·芒格哦,天哪。想想我年轻时通用汽车的权势,再看看后来发生的事——它让所有股东血本无归——我当年绝不可能预料到这种事。我年轻的时候,通用汽车像一个巨人般笼罩着整个经济,看起来完全无法战胜。现金滚滚而来。什么都滚滚而来。
CHARLIE MUNGEROh, my God. When I think of the power of General Motors when I was young, and what happened — they wiped out all the shareholders — I would no more have predicted that. When I was young, General Motors loomed over the economy like a colossus. It looked totally invincible. Torrents of cash. Torrents of everything.
沃伦·巴菲特那时他们还要努力控制市场份额。
WARREN BUFFETTTrying to hold down market share.
查理·芒格对,因为他们——是的,他们担心自己太垄断了。所以世界在变,我们不能每发现一样东西不如以前有优势,就改变投资组合。
CHARLIE MUNGERYes, because they — yeah, they were afraid they'd be too monopolistic. And so the world changes, and we can't change — make a portfolio change — every time something is a little less advantaged than it used to be.
沃伦·巴菲特但你得——
WARREN BUFFETTBut you have to be —
查理·芒格保持警惕。
CHARLIE MUNGERAlert.
沃伦·巴菲特——你得时刻思考,警惕是否有事情确实从根本上改变了游戏规则。这不仅适用于美国运通,也适用于我们拥有的其他东西,包括我们 100% 拥有的东西。我们有时候会犯错。我们有时候会反应迟钝,我们有时候会犯错。但我们有时候也会做对。但并不是我们没有意识到威胁。评估这些威胁是小问题、大问题还是致命问题的概率,你知道,这是个艰难的游戏,但这正是我们工作有趣的地方。
WARREN BUFFETT— you have to be thinking all the time and alert to whether there's been something that really changes the game in a big way. And that's not only true for American Express, that's true for other things we own, including things we own 100 percent of. And we'll be wrong sometimes. We'll be late sometimes, we'll be wrong sometimes. But we'll be right sometimes, too. But it's not that we're not cognizant of threats. Assessing the probabilities of those threats being a minor problem, or a major problem, or a life-threatening problem, you know, it's a tough game, but that's what makes our job interesting.
查理·芒格我认为任何支付领域的参与者,特别是那些采用陈旧方法的长期老牌玩家,面临的危险可能都比以前更大。这个领域流动性更强了。
CHARLIE MUNGERI think anybody in payments, probably has — with an established long-time player with an old method — has more danger than used to exist. It's just — there's more fluidity in it.
我们喜欢牛排,但不想拥有牧场
We like steak but aren't interested in owning cattle
沃伦·巴菲特好的。三号站。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 3.
现场股东你好,巴菲特先生。
AUDIENCE MEMBERHi, Mr. Buffett.
沃伦·巴菲特你好。
WARREN BUFFETTHi.
现场股东你好,芒格先生。我来自亚利桑那州弗拉格斯塔夫。我叫尼克·凯利。我家里在亚利桑那州经营一些牧场,我的问题也和这个有关。我想知道您对不断增长的全球人口以及投资养牛业的看法,您认为这是明智之举吗?谢谢。
AUDIENCE MEMBERHi, Mr. Munger. I'm from Flagstaff, Arizona. My name is Nick Kelly. My family runs some cattle ranches down in Arizona, and that's kind of what my question pertains to. I'm curious on your thoughts as it relates to the expanding global population and investing in cattle and if you think it's wise. Thank you.
沃伦·巴菲特查理?
WARREN BUFFETTCharlie?
查理·芒格我认为,对于像我们这样的人来说,这是我能想象到的最糟糕的生意之一。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERI think it's one of the worst businesses I can imagine for somebody like us. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特这可不是针对你个人的。
WARREN BUFFETTThere's nothing personal about this.
查理·芒格没错。不仅是一门糟糕的生意,我们对它也是一窍不通。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah. Not only is it a bad business, but we have no aptitude for it.
沃伦·巴菲特有不少人在这个行业做得不错,查理。
WARREN BUFFETTSome people have done well in it, Charlie.
查理·芒格嗯,我——是的。他们大约每 20 年能赶上个好年景。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, I — yeah. They have one good year every 20 years or something.
现场股东我知道你们喜欢吃牛排。
AUDIENCE MEMBERI know you guys like steak.
沃伦·巴菲特非常喜欢。
WARREN BUFFETTVery much.
查理·芒格但不喜欢养牛。(笑)
CHARLIE MUNGERBut not owning cattle. (Laughs)
沃伦·巴菲特你知道,实际上,我认识几个在养牛业做得还算可以的人,但他们通常还顺带经营着银行之类的生意,所以——(笑声)不过还是祝你好运。(笑声)我人在基威特广场,如果你想寄点什么过来的话。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTYou know, it — actually, I know a few people that have done reasonably well in cattle, but they usually own banks on the side or something, so — (Laughter) But I wish you the best at it. (Laughter) And I'm in Kiewit Plaza, if want to send anything along. (Laughs)
查理·芒格总得有人去占据经济中那些艰难的角落。我们需要你。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERSomebody has to occupy the tough niches in the economy. We need you. (Laughter)
现场股东谢谢。
AUDIENCE MEMBERThank you.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you.
查理·芒格嗯。(掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah. (Applause)
薪酬方案不应奖励利润
Don't reward profits in compensation plans
沃伦·巴菲特安德鲁。
WARREN BUFFETTAndrew.
安德鲁·罗斯·索金沃伦和查理——嗯,第一部分是问查理的;第二部分是问沃伦的。“查理,您显然了解激励的力量。您在伯克希尔设计薪酬方案时是如何运用这一点的?请不要提及姓名和具体金额,用例子为我们说明——举几个例子——伯克希尔旗下不同行业的运营经理如何根据业绩获得薪酬。”第二部分是问沃伦的,“您曾说过会写如何为下一任伯克希尔 CEO 定薪。现在能确切地告诉我们该怎么做吗?”
ANDREW ROSS SORKINWarren and Charlie — well, the first part is for Charlie; second part is for Warren. "Charlie, you clearly understand the power of incentives. How do you apply this at Berkshire when designing compensation formula? "Without naming names or dollar amounts, please illustrate for us with examples — of a couple of examples — of how Berkshire's operating managers get paid for performance in different industries." The second part is for Warren, which is, "You once said you'd write about how we should compensate the next Berkshire CEO. Can you describe exactly how we should do it now?"
查理·芒格下一任 CEO 的事让沃伦去操心吧。说到评估,我们的激励体系各有不同,努力贴合每个业务的具体现实。激励的基本规则是:你奖励什么,就得到什么。所以,如果你的激励体系设计得很蠢,得到的结果也一定很蠢。我们有一个特别有意思的激励体系就在 GEICO,让沃伦给你讲讲吧,因为我们对 GEICO 的员工采用的不是通常那种基于利润的激励方式。沃伦,你来解释,这确实很有意思。
CHARLIE MUNGERI'll let Warren worry about the next CEO. But the — when it comes to assess — our incentive systems are different and what they try and adapt to is the reality of each situation. And the basic rule on incentives is you get what you reward for. So, if you have a dumb incentive system, you get dumb outcomes. And one of our really interesting incentive systems is at GEICO, and I'll let Warren explain it to you, because we don't have a normal profits-type incentive for the people at GEICO. Warren, tell them, because it's really interesting.
沃伦·巴菲特没错。在 GEICO,我们只用两个指标,覆盖了超过 2 万人。我想你得入职满一年才行,但过了那个节点,任何待了一年以上的人——具体时间我可能记不准——都会受到这两个指标的影响,而且他们也知道、也理解,这两个指标直接决定他们的奖金。职位越高,乘数效应越大。基本还是那两个指标,但奖金占基本工资的比例会越来越高,不过对所有人来说,这笔钱都很重要。两个指标非常简单:我在乎业务增长,我也在乎盈利增长。所以我们设了一个矩阵,一边是保单数量的增长——不是保费总额的增长,因为保费由平均费率决定,那个他们控制不了——但保单数量是他们能左右的。另一边是成熟业务的盈利能力。把新业务做进来要花不少钱,广告什么的投入很大。所以第一年,任何新业务都会明显拉低利润。我不希望员工因为担心利润受损,就不敢快速扩张业务。所以指标就是:成熟业务利润、保单数量增长。非常简单。从 1995 年起我们就这么用。中间针对新业务之类做过一两次微调,但基本就是个简单的体系。每个人都懂。每年二月左右,这两个指标公布的那天是个大日子,大家都会算自己能拿多少。这套体系完全把组织的目标——从薪酬角度看——和所有者的目标绑在一起了。就这么简单。有意思的是——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well at GEICO, we have two variables, and they apply to well over 20,000 people. I think you have to be there a year, but beyond that point, anybody that's been there a year or more — and I could be wrong on the exact period — is subject — and knows — understands — that these two variables will determine bonus compensation. And as you go up the ladder, it has a multiplier effect. It's still the same two variables, but it gets to be larger and larger, in terms of bonus compensation as a percentage of your base, but it's always significant. It's always significant. And those two variables are very simple. I care about growing the business, and I care about growing it with a profitable business. So we have a grid, which consists of growth and policies in force on one axis — not gross in dollars, because that's reflected by average premiums, which are outside their control — but growth in policies in force. And then on the other grid, we have the profitability of seasoned business. It costs a lot of money to put business on the books. I mean, we spend a lot of money on advertising and all of that. So the first year, any business we put on the books is going to reduce profits significantly. And I don't want people to be worried about the profit if it's going — that comes — that might be impaired by growing the business fast. So, profit of seasoned business, growth of policies in force. Very simple. We've used it since 1995. We put a tiny little tweak or two in for new businesses or something, but it's overwhelmingly a simple system. Everybody understands it. In February, or so, it's a big day when the two variables are announced and people figure out how they come out on it. And it totally aligns the goals of the organization, in terms of compensation, with the goals of the owner. And that's a simple one. The interesting thing about —
查理·芒格听着简单,但其他人可能只奖励利润之类的东西,结果员工因为新业务会损害利润就不去接,而这些新业务正是他们应该接的。你必须把这些事想透。当然,沃伦很擅长这个,GEICO 的 CEO 托尼·奈斯利也是。
CHARLIE MUNGERIt's simple, but other people might reward something like just profits, and so the people don't take on new business, they should take it on, because it hurts profits. So you've got to think these things through, and, of course, Warren's good at that, and so is [GEICO CEO] Tony Nicely.
沃伦·巴菲特对。你想想——有人跑来说,要是奖励利润——你可不想只奖励利润。那会是你干过的最蠢的事。你干脆停止广告,然后开始收缩业务。就像我说的,那里的员工知道,连最高层的人都是看这两个指标拿钱的。所以他们不会觉得,比起自己,高层有什么舒舒服服的铁饭碗。这是个完全合乎逻辑的体系。有意思的是——我待会回答你的第二个问题——有意思的是,如果我们引入薪酬顾问,他们会开始设计一套适用于整个伯克希尔的方案,想让我们所有人都拧成一股绳,你知道——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. And just thinking about — you know, I mean, very — somebody comes in and says, well, if you reward profits — you don't want to award profits, alone. It'd be the dumbest thing you could do. You just quit advertising, and, you know, start shrinking the business a little. That's a — and like I said, that — people there know that the very top person is getting paid based on those same two variables. So that they — they don't think that the guys at the top have got a cushy deal compared to them, and all of that. It's just a very logical system. The interesting thing — and I'll get to your second thing in a — second question — in a minute, but the interesting thing is that if we brought in a compensation consultant, they would start coming up with plans that would be designed for all of Berkshire, and get us all pulling together, you know —
查理·芒格说不定是家殡仪馆。
CHARLIE MUNGERMaybe an undertaking parlor.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
查理·芒格天知道他们会从哪想出个方案来。
CHARLIE MUNGERGod knows where they'd get the plan.
沃伦·巴菲特在 70 或 80 家子公司里搞一套统一的激励方案,那简直疯了。但我几乎可以肯定,要是请个顾问来,他们肯定想着搞一套总方案,配上各种子方案,再用一堆目标来解释。我们就是每个业务单独看,什么合理就用什么。有些业务中,一把手至关重要;有些业务里,业务本身决定了结果。我们试着设计合理的方案。有些情况里,我问过一个来投奔我的人——或者说要把公司卖给我的人——见面的那天他到我办公室来,想卖公司,但还想继续管。我跟他谈妥了交易。然后我说,你来定薪酬方案吧。他说,你不是已经告诉我了吗(笑)。我说没有。我说,我不希望一个为我工作的人,对自己薪酬方案不满意,天天跟老婆抱怨。你觉得怎么合理就怎么来。他提了一个方案,我觉得合理,就一直用到现在,一个字没改过。我们拥有这么多不同的业务:有些很艰难,有些很容易;有些资本密集,有些不需要资本。你想用一套模板套所有公司,再加点整体业绩挂钩的东西,那只能浪费钱,还会扭曲激励。所以我们一个一个想,效果还不错。至于接班人,我给董事会发过两份备忘录,写了一些想法。可能还会发第三份。但我觉得把具体内容公开出去不太明智。不过背后的原则,就是我刚才讲的这套。
WARREN BUFFETTThe — you know, the idea of having a — sort of — a coordinated arrangement for incentive compensation across 70 or 80 businesses, or whatever, is just totally nuts. And yet, I would almost guarantee you that if we brought in somebody, they would be thinking in terms of some master plan, and little subplans, and all this kind of thing, and explain it with all kinds of objectives. We try to figure out what makes sense in each business we're in. There's some businesses where the top person is enormously important, or some businesses where the business itself dominates the nature — the result. We try to design plans that make sense. In certain cases — I asked one fellow that came to work for us — or that was selling me his business — the day I met him he came to the office, and he had a business he wanted to sell, but he also wanted to keep running it. And I made a deal with him on it. And then I said, you know, tell me what the compensation plan should be. And he said, well, he said, I thought you told me that. (Laughs) I said no. I said, I don't want a guy working for me that has a plan that he thinks doesn't make sense, or that he's unhappy with, or chewing at him, or he's complaining to his wife about it, whatever it may be. You tell me what makes sense. And he told me what made sense, and it made sense, and we've been using it ever since. Never changed a word. We have so many different kinds of businesses. Some of them are very tough businesses. Some of them are very easy businesses. Some of them are capital intensive. Some of them don't take capital. I mean, you just go up and down the line, and to think that you'll have a simple formula that can be sort of stamped out for the whole place, and then with some overall stuff for corporate results on top of it, you'd be wasting a lot of money, and you'd be misdirecting incentives. So we think it through one at a time, and it seems to work out pretty well. In terms of the person that succeeds me, it's true, I have sent a memo to the — in fact, I sent two memos to the board — with some thoughts on that. Maybe I'll send a third one. But I don't think it would be wise to disclose exactly what's in those letters. But it's the same principle as I've just gotten through describing.
查理·芒格他还想多要些反面例子。很多糟糕的激励案例出自银行业和投资银行业。如果你用利润分成来奖励人,而利润是按照某些会计做法报告出来的——纸上看着有利润,从基本经济实质上却并未实际发生——那么人们就会去做错误的事,这既危及银行,又伤害国家,百害而无一利。那场大金融危机的核心肇因之一就是:银行报告了大量它们实际上并没有赚到的收入,投行也是如此。长期以来,会计规则允许放款人用他过去的历史损失率作为坏账拨备。这样一来,一个傻瓜也能发大财,只要发放利率更高、风险也高得多的贷款,把一大笔利息收入计提进来,然后说:“这些贷款我不会再亏什么钱了,因为过去我做不同的贷款时就没亏过钱。”会计师居然允许这种做法,真是疯了——毫不夸张地说,就是疯了。这个词并不重。然而没有人为此感到羞愧。我至今还没遇到过一个为此感到羞愧的会计师。
CHARLIE MUNGERAnd he wanted more bad examples. A lot of the bad examples of incentives come from banking and investment banking. And if you reward somebody with some share of the profits, and the profits are being reported using accounting practices that cause the profit to exist on paper that are not really happening in terms of underlying economics, then people are doing the wrong thing, and it's endangering the bank and hurting the country and everything else. And that was a major part of the cause of the great financial crisis: it's that the banks were reporting a lot of income they weren't making, and the investment banks were, too. The accounting allowed, for a long time, a lender to use his bad — as his bad debt provision — his previous historical loss rate. So an idiot could make a lot of money by just making way-gamier loans at high interest, and accruing a lot of interest, and saying, "I'm not going to lose any more money on these, because I didn't lose money on different loans in the past." That was insane for the accountants to allow that. And — literally insane. That's not too strong a word. And yet nobody's ashamed of it. I've never met an accountant that's ashamed of it.
沃伦·巴菲特还有一种——另一种可能出现的情况是,一个极度贪婪的首席执行官,自己想拿一笔天价回报,为了给它披上合理外衣,就设计出一套金字塔式的激励结构,让下面一大帮人也跟着拿高得离谱的薪酬,而这薪酬又跟他们根本控制不了的东西挂钩——目的无非是不让那套他为自己精心安排的天价回报看起来就他一个人独享。不良行为确实不少。我们见过,你们也见过,在股票期权定价上就有。我是说,我真真切切在董事会会议室里听到过这样的对话,他们盼着发放期权时的行权价低得要命。既然一群人感兴趣的是把期权发在极低价位上,他们偶尔就可能做成一些事来促成这个结果。再说了,一家公司绞尽脑汁琢磨怎么以最低价格发股票——还有比这更愚蠢的事吗?薪酬本身并没有这个世界喜欢把它搞成的那么复杂,可是——你要是当顾问的,你就会想让人们觉得这东西极为复杂,觉得这要命的难题只有你才能帮他们解决,他们自己是绝对搞不定的。
WARREN BUFFETTThe other — another thing that — possibility is when you get the very greedy chief executive who wants an enormous payoff for himself, and to justify it, designs a pyramid, so that a whole bunch of other people down the line get overpaid in some relation — or get paid — in relation to something they have no control over, just so it doesn't look like he's all by himself, in terms of that fantastic payoff he's arranged for himself. There's a lot of misbehavior. And, you know, we saw it — you saw it in pricing of stock options. I mean, people that — you know, I literally would hear conversations in a board room where they hoped they were issuing the options, you know, at a terribly low price. Well, if you've got people interested in having options issued at a terribly low price, they may occasionally do something that might cause that. And it certainly — what could be dumber than a company looking for a way to issue shares at the lowest price? Compensation isn't as complicated as the world would like to make it, but that's — if you were a consultant, you would want to make people think it's very complicated, and that only you could solve this terrible problem for them that they couldn't solve.
查理·芒格我们想要的是简单、合理,不想奖励我们不愿看到的东西。你们当中有孩子的,不妨想象一下,要是孩子每做出一次坏行为你都奖励,你那家里会是什么光景?用不了多久,家就没法管了。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe want it simple and right, and we don't want it to reward what we don't want. If you have — those of you with children — just imagine how your household would work if you constantly rewarded every child for bad behavior. The house would be ungovernable in short order.
BNSF 的资本支出
BNSF's capital expenditures
沃伦·巴菲特好。格雷格,请。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Gregg.
格雷格·沃伦过去几年,伯灵顿北方圣达菲铁路(BNSF)的资本支出几乎超过了所有其他铁路公司。虽然公司将资本支出预算从 2015 年的 57 亿美元降至今年的 43 亿美元,但仍占年收入的大约 20%,我们认为这对大多数铁路公司来说是至少维持长期持续投资的最低水平。除维护性资本支出外——这部分可能约占总数的 60%——你认为 BNSF 最有可能的额外投资机会在哪里?考虑到煤炭运输的长期下滑近期有所加速,以及原油运输情况复杂,BNSF 过去几年在这方面已投入巨资,这些因素很可能会推动公司更多转向其他业务领域。
GREGG WARRENDuring the past several years, Burlington Northern has spent more than just about every railroad on capital expenditures. While the company reduced its capex budget from $5.7 billion during 2015, to $4.3 billion this year, it stills represents around 20 percent of annual revenue, which we believe is at least a bare minimum for most railroads to continue to invest indefinitely. Other than maintenance capex, which is likely to account for around 60 percent of that total, what do you believe are the most likely additional investment opportunities for BNSF, realizing that the secular decline in coal, which has accelerated of late, and the complicated nature of crude oil shipments, where BNSF has already invested heavily the past few years, are likely to push it more towards other parts of the business?
沃伦·巴菲特就像我在年报里提到的,对所有铁路公司来说,仅仅花掉折旧费用并不能让它们原地不动。所以,折旧并不能真实衡量铁路公司维持现有状态所需的资本支出水平,即使在通胀不太严重的环境下也是如此。这是收购铁路业务时需要考虑的重要因素。我们一开始就知道这一点,后来体会更深。2015 年我们花了很多钱,因为要解决一大堆问题。那年我们花了 57 亿美元。我敢说,维护性资本支出——如果你按 43 亿美元这个数来看——要高于那个数字的 60%,如果你切实评估让铁路保持有竞争力的状态,去做和上一年同样运量的话。BNSF 还有一笔额外费用,没有反映在报表数字里。我们在其他一些业务上也有不少无形资产费用,但它们不是实际支出。总的来说,我认为伯克希尔的数字,相比真实经济利润,其实是偏保守的。但任何铁路公司都不适用这个结论。我们还遇到一个叫“主动列车控制”的东西,整个行业要为此花一大笔钱。我们在这方面可能比大多数公司走得靠前一些,每年要花 2 到 3 亿美元,也许——我不知道总额会不会接近 20 亿美元。所以,这确实是个资本密集型行业。我们运营 BNSF 的每吨英里收入,远远超过北美任何一家其他铁路公司。这显然对资本支出有影响。但我要说,我们很可能会花得比折旧多——很不幸,是比折旧多不少——才能在很长很长的时间里维持原状,其他铁路公司也一样。这是个不利因素。我们会一直寻找用资本支出来拓展新业务的机会,这样的机会也经常出现。只是规模大小的问题。我们在巴肯地区做过很多这样的投入,也从中获益。但到了现在这个时间点,油价下跌了,回报不如我们当初预想那么多。但那笔资本支出是非常明智的。我希望我们还有机会做更多。煤运业务在下滑,那其实和我们整体的资本支出预算没什么关系,只是我们不会在这个领域花太多钱来扩张了。这算回答了你的问题吗?
WARREN BUFFETTAs I mentioned in the annual report, in the case of all railroads, merely spending their depreciation expense will not keep them in the same place. So depreciation is an inadequate measure of the actual steady state of capital expenditure needs of a railroad, even in these fairly noninflationary ways. And that's an important consideration in buying the business. We knew that going in, and it's been reinforced since. We spent a lot of money in 2015 because we had a lot of problems to correct. That was when we spent the 5.7 billion. I would say that the true maintenance capex, if you're looking at 4.3 billion, is higher than 60 percent of that number, when you really evaluate keeping the railroad in competitive shape to do just the same volume as it would be doing the year before. There is an additional expense at BNSF that is not reflected in the figures. There — we also have a lot of intangible expenses at some other businesses that aren't real expenses. I mean, overall, I think that Berkshire's figures actually are on the conservative side, in relation to real economic earnings. But that's not true at any railroad. We've also had something called "positive train control," which amounts to a lot of money for the industry. I think we may be a little further along than most of them in paying for that, but that's 2 or $300 million a year and maybe — I don't know whether it'd be close to 2 billion, or something like that, in aggregate. So it is a very capital-intensive business. We run — at the BNSF — we run far more gross, in revenue ton miles, than any other railroad in North America. And that has obviously some — is a factor on capital expenditures. But I would say that it's very likely that we will spend more than depreciation — unfortunately, quite a bit more than depreciation — to stay in the same place for a long, long time, as will other railroads. And that is — that's a negative in the picture. We will always be looking for ways to use capital expenditure money to develop additional business, and we get that opportunity regularly. It's just a question of the size of it. And, you know, we did a lot of that in the Bakken, and we got benefits from it. We're not getting benefits as much as we thought we would at this point when the price of oil was falling off. But that was a very sensible capital expenditure. And I hope we get the opportunity to do more. What's happening in coal, with the decline, I mean, that doesn't really have anything to do with our overall capital expenditure budget except we won't be spending a whole lot of money to expand in that arena. Does that answer your question OK?
格雷格·沃伦我还在想,多式联运或许也是一个可以加大投资力度的长期机会。
GREGG WARRENI was just thinking maybe with intermodal as well, if that's, you know, a longer-term opportunity to invest more heavily there.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我们一直对此保持开放态度。但我们希望——你总得看到有相当可观的收入来自——我们最近提了一个方案,为这事我们研究了很多很多年,旨在大幅提升长滩港的效率。我们为它投入了大量资金和时间,如果方案获批,我们本来还会投入更多资金——比现在多得多。可最近法院做出了不利裁决,这究竟是会彻底断送这次机会,还是意味着我们得另寻他处,我们还得再看看情况。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, we're always open to it. But we would want — you know, you have to see a fair amount of revenue coming from — We had a proposition, very recently, which we worked on for many, many years, in terms of making the port at Long Beach considerably more efficient. And we spent a lot of money on that, and spent a lot of time, and we would've spent a lot more money — a whole lot more money — if it'd been approved. Recently a court came out with a decision that was negative on it, and whether that kills the chance to do that or we look someplace else, you know, we'll have to look at the situation.
查理·芒格我们在那边的竞争对手,都装出一副环保主义者的样子。(众笑)这是现在很常见的做法了。
CHARLIE MUNGEROur competitors there pretend to be environmentalists. (Laughs) It's a common practice now.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊。不管怎样,我们不会——我们本以为自己做了一件相当有意义的事,对那个地区和对这个国家的交通系统都有好处,但是——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. In any event, we wouldn't — we thought we had something that made a lot of sense, for both the area and for the transportation system of the country, and — but there are —
查理·芒格我们是在努力做正确的事,可到目前为止,我们输了。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe are trying to do the right thing, and so far we've lost.
沃伦·巴菲特但我们仍然愿意花大钱——
WARREN BUFFETTBut we're still willing to spend a lot of money —
查理·芒格嗯。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah.
沃伦·巴菲特——前提是能找到让铁路效率更高、或者规模更大的项目,哪样都行。
WARREN BUFFETT— if we can find things that make the railroad more efficient, or make it larger, I mean, either way.
低油价总体上有利于美国
U.S. benefits overall from low oil prices
沃伦·巴菲特好。第 4 节。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Section 4.
现场股东下午好,巴菲特先生,芒格先生。我叫马库斯·道格拉斯,得克萨斯州休斯顿的一名投资顾问。我老家那边很多人正在失业,主要是受原油价格大幅下跌的影响。我的问题主要是关于美国整体的国情,倒不单单是关心我亲爱的休斯顿。考虑到原油主要以美元计价买卖,两位是否认为原油供给的大幅波动会影响未来的货币政策决策?
AUDIENCE MEMBERGood afternoon, Mr. Buffett and Mr. Munger. My name is Marcus Douglas. I'm an investment advisor from Houston, Texas. Where I'm from, there are a lot of people losing their jobs, mostly due to the sharp decline of crude oil prices. My question pertains to the overall state of the union, more so than my dear city. Keeping in mind that crude oil is primarily bought and sold in American dollars, do either of you believe the major fluctuations in the supply of crude oil influence the future monetary policy decisions?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,查理,这题你来答。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, that's yours, Charlie.
查理·芒格嗯,我的回答是,影响不大。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, my answer would be, not much.
沃伦·巴菲特对,石油显然是个重要行业。油价下跌影响广泛,对消费者极为有利,受益的是数以百万计——不,数以亿计的消费者——对某些企业则极为不利,比如我们收购的路博润,以及相当程度上还有其他几家公司。要知道,总体来看,低油价对美国应该是好事。我们是石油净进口国。我的意思是,这就像香蕉价格低对美国有好处一样,我们也是香蕉进口国。任何我们净买入的东西,价格下跌就是好事,但石油体量足够大,波及面又广,油价下跌也会伤及相当多的人,尤其会冲击资本价值。也就是说,消费者每两三个星期去一次加油站,每次省下来的钱是相当小额的零头。而资本价值的缩水却极其巨大——如果你推演油价在低位持续一段时间的情形,冲击是一夜之间就到来的。我是说,一个原本价值 X 的油田,可能一夜之间就只值半个 X、三分之一个 X,甚至一文不值。所以,某些重大因素会立刻重创资本价值——在我们化工业务里,就表现为客户直接停止下单。于是资本价值立刻遭到巨大冲击,好处却是随着时间慢慢显现的。但净结果上,油价更低时,美国整体处境更好,沙特处境更差。石油占经济的很大一块,但在油价下跌过程中,我们的经济整体上仍在继续前进。但显然,不同地区承受的冲击严重失衡,正如它们在油价 100 美元、卡车运输大举涌入的时期经历了一轮极为火爆的繁荣一样。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, it's an important industry, obviously. And the decline in the price of oil has had a lot of effects, very good for the consumer, millions and — well, hundreds and millions of consumers — and very bad for certain of the businesses, like the one we bought in Lubrizol, and some others, to a degree. You know — net, it should be good for the United States, overall, to have low prices for oil. We're a net oil importer. I mean, just like it's good for the United States to have low prices for bananas. We're a banana importer. Anything we net buy is a plus when prices fall, but oil is big enough, and extends into so many areas, that it also hurts, plenty, when the price of oil falls, and it particularly hurts capital values. So the value — the consumer gets the benefit when he or she goes to the filling station, you know, every two or three weeks, or something like that, and it comes in relatively small increments. The capital value contraction, which is huge, if you project out lower-price oil for a while, you know, hits immediately. I mean, an oil field that was worth X may be worth half X, or a third of X, or no X, overnight. And so, there's certain big factors — well, in terms of our chemical operation, people just stop ordering. So you have this big impact on capital values immediately, and you have the benefits move in over time. But net, the United States is better off, and Saudi Arabia is worse off, when prices of oil are lower. Oil is a big part of the economy, but our economy has continued to make progress, overall, during the oil price decline. But obviously, different regions suffer disproportionately, just like they boomed — you know, they got a real boom in — during the period when it was at $100, and when trucking came in big time. Charlie?
查理·芒格嗯,这个话题就这么着吧。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, I think that that will do it for this subject.
无需从子公司归集现金
No need to sweep cash from subsidiaries
沃伦·巴菲特好的。卡罗尔。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Carol.
卡罗尔·卢米斯提问者是来自波士顿的拉里·莱沃维茨。“我们制造、服务和零售业务的年末资产负债表显示,流动资产总额为 286 亿美元,其中现金及等价物为 68 亿美元。同时,流动负债总额为 127 亿美元,由此得出净营运资本为 159 亿美元。苹果、戴尔这类公司通过供应商融资的做法越来越普遍,有些甚至实现了负营运资本。为什么伯克希尔这些子公司需要持有这么多营运资本,尤其是这么多现金?更宽泛地说,对于如此庞大、分散且权力下放的业务板块,你们如何看待营运资本的高效管理?”
CAROL LOOMISThe question is from Larry Levowitz (PH) of Boston. "The year-end balance sheet for our manufacturing, service, and retailing operations shows total current assets of 28.6 billion, of which cash and equivalents are 6.8 billion. "Meanwhile, total current liabilities are 12.7 billion, implying net working capital of 15.9 billion. "It has become increasingly common for companies like Apple and Dell to finance their business via their suppliers, in some cases with negative working capital. "Why is it necessary for these Berkshire businesses to have so much working capital, particularly so much cash? "More generally, how do you think about efficiently managing the working capital of a business segment so large, sprawling, and decentralized as this one?"
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。是这样的,伯克希尔每一个地方都有多余现金,所以我们——在当下,现金放在某些子公司还是另一些子公司,其实没什么区别。所以我们不存在——我们就是现金过剩。正如我过去指出的,我们绝不会让现金低于 200 亿美元,实际上会稳稳地高于这个数,不过把卡夫亨氏那笔优先股考虑进去后,我们合并现金又会超过 600 亿美元。我们不太在意现金具体放在哪个口袋里。反正眼下这个利率水平,放在哪儿都赚不到什么收益。如果将来利率走高,我们其实已经有一套机制可以去做归集账户之类的事,所以——我不会过多关注那一类科目下具体持有多少现金。伯克希尔哈撒韦能源的现金、铁路公司的现金,这些有独立的公司层面,我们不为它们的债务做担保,它们自己会保留充裕的现金,我们也不会想着去把它们压到最低。但对于我们旗下那四五十家杂七杂八的子公司,在利率高到确实值得去做的时候,我们会采用归集账户。可在当下,利息收益几乎为零,你在哪儿赚不到这点收益都没多大区别。所以我觉得这位提问者有点分析过度了,不过我理解他为什么这么问。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, we have excess cash every place at Berkshire, so we don't — at present, it really doesn't make any difference whether we have it at certain subsidiaries or other subsidiaries. So we do not — we have excess cash. As I pointed out in the past, we'll never go below 20 billion in cash, and we'll actually stay comfortably above it, but — allowing for the preferred that's going to — of Kraft Heinz — we'll be, again, over 60 billion of consolidated cash. We don't really worry much about what pocket it's in. It's not making anything, anyway, at these levels. Now, if rates move higher, we've actually got the mechanics in process to do sweep accounts and that sort of thing, which — so I would pay no attention to the particular cash that's being held in that category there. The cash in Berkshire Hathaway Energy, the cash in the railroad, we have independent levels, that we don't guarantee their debt, and they run with ample cash, and we would not look at sweeping that down to a minimum. But if you talk about 40 or 50 of our miscellaneous subsidiaries, we will go to a sweep account when rates gets where it really makes any difference to do it. But right now, when you're getting zero, it doesn't make much difference where you get zero. So I think the fellow's overanalyzed it a little bit, but I understand why he did it.
查理·芒格沃伦,现在有一种做法,我们为什么不学学其他一些公司,付款给供应商时多拖一段时间,这样营运资本不就更多了?
CHARLIE MUNGERWarren, one of these ideas is, why don't we imitate some of these other people, and pay our suppliers a lot more slowly, so we have more working capital?
沃伦·巴菲特对。这在当今商界可是件大事。去年,比如沃尔玛,据我所知找遍了几乎所有的供应商,当然也包括我们旗下向他们供货的那些公司,他们基本列了一张有五六项要求的清单,希望现有供应商同意,其中一项就是要求更长的付款账期。我们每家子公司都做了自己的决定,但我猜沃尔玛从大多数供应商那里拿到了更长的账期,比例可能非常高。他们大概把账期从——我记不清具体要求了,可能是从 30 天拉到 60 天,还是别的什么——总之拿到了相当可观的账期延长。所以,今后一两年,你会看到沃尔玛的应付账款相对于销售额的比例,会比一两年前更高,因为这需要时间落地。要知道,他们跟亚马逊等竞争对手拼得很苦,这也是他们释放压力的一种方式。我在别处也见过这种做法。不能排除我们某家子公司也认为这样做是明智的,但我认为它们不会。我的意思是,伯克希尔对现金的需求压力没这么大;而且我想,在我们大多数经理人心里,对良好供应商关系的渴望——或者说这种看重——很可能会压倒任何想延长账期的念头。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, that's a big thing in business now. And last year, Walmart, for example, went to almost all of their suppliers, as I understand it, and certainly the companies that we supply, and they basically had a list of half a dozen things that they wanted present suppliers to agree to, and one of those things was more-extended terms. And each of our companies made their own decisions, but my guess is they got more extended terms from most of their suppliers, maybe a very high percentage of their suppliers, and they may have gone from — I don't remember the exact request, whether they went from 30 to 60 days, or what it was — but they got a meaningful extension. So, you will — you know, in a couple years or a year, takes time to implement, you'll see higher payables, relative to sales, at Walmart than you saw a year or two ago. And, you know, they are under a lot of pressure competing with Amazon and others, and that's one of the ways they expressed it. And I've seen it done other places, and it's conceivable that one of our subsidiaries might deem it wise to do it, but I don't think they will. I mean, I think that the pressure for cash at Berkshire is not that high, and I think that the pressure for — or the desire for — great relations with suppliers is — would probably overcome, in most of our managers' minds, any desire to start extending terms.
查理·芒格对,我觉得,在你很富而供应商不富的时候,狠下这手很难,供应商还指望着你喜欢你呢。所以,我认为,始终努力跟供应商和客户建立双赢关系,总归是值得的。(掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah. I think it's hard to do that, brutally, when you're rich and your supplier isn't, and think that your supplier is going to love you. And so I think there's something to be said for leaning over backward to have a win-win relationship with both suppliers and customers, always. (Applause)
沃伦·巴菲特在伯克希尔,这种事从来没被推动过,这可以肯定。你可以说,反正我们已经有浮存金这个好东西了,所以——(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTIt's never been pushed at Berkshire, that's for sure. You can argue we got a pretty good thing going in float anyway, so — (Laughs)
查理·芒格对,我们不需要这个。让别人去创纪录吧。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah, and we don't need it. Let somebody else set the record on that one.
“我们不需要粉饰数字”
"We don't need to inflate the figures"
沃伦·巴菲特好的,乔尼?
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Jonny?
乔纳森·布兰特美国多数公司都会把所谓的一次性重组成本单独列出来,但伯克希尔不这么干。所以,依我看,伯克希尔报告的经营利润质量更高。你有没有算过,如果伯克希尔把工厂关闭成本、产品线退出费用、遣散费之类的东西单列,平均经营利润会高出多少?这个数字大吗?还是说,伯克希尔通常不怎么发生这类成本,因为你们收购的大多是独立运营的公司?
JONATHAN BRANDTMost American corporations separate out supposedly one-time restructuring costs, whereas Berkshire doesn't. Berkshire's reported operating earnings are, therefore, in my opinion, of higher quality. Have you ever calculated how much higher operating earnings, on average, would be if Berkshire separated out plant closing costs, product line exits, severance pay, and similar items? Is it a material number? Or does Berkshire not incur much in the way of these types of costs typically because most of your acquisitions are stand-alones?
查理·芒格我来回答这个问题。这就像有人问,你为什么不杀了你妈去拿保险金?(笑声)我们不会干这种事。我们对操纵那些数字没兴趣,而且我们从来没交过重组费用,我觉得我们也不会开这个头。(掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGERLet me take that one. That's a question like asking, why don't you kill your mother to get the insurance money? (Laughter) We don't do it. We're not interested in manipulating those numbers, and we haven't had a restructuring charge ever, and I don't think we're about to start. (Applause)
沃伦·巴菲特对,我也想说一句,乔尼。我们不干那事儿。数字不会很大。你知道,说不定某一年,由于什么原因,可能会大一点,但跟大多数公司比,我们报的数字更保守,我觉得质量也更高。不过我也指出过,我们在铁路公司的折旧费用——那是标准做法,其他铁路公司也都用——作为衡量真实经营利润的指标,是不够的,但那是——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I would say this, too, Johnny. We don't do that. The numbers would not be huge. You know, there could be a year, I suppose, when they might be, for some reason, but they are more conservatively stated than most companies, and I think they're of higher quality. But I've pointed out, also, that I think that our depreciation expense at the railroad, which is standard and which all of the other railroads use, is inadequate as a measure of true operating earnings, but that's —
查理·芒格你是在说——我们喜欢主动讲自己的缺点。
CHARLIE MUNGERAnd you're talking about — we like to advertise our defects.
沃伦·巴菲特并非全部都这样。(笑)毫无疑问,我们——我认为,我们在某些无形资产摊销方面会比一些公司更多,这会减少我们的收益和报告收益,但实际上这些并不是费用。我指出过这一点。我并没有——我从来不想报告那种情况,即我把整套调整后收益列出来,然后说,这才是你们应该关注的数据,因为我所见过的每一份此类报告,实际上都导致数字被夸大。伯克希尔的情况已经足够好了。我们不需要夸大数字。
WARREN BUFFETTNot all of them. (Laughs) There's no question that we — I think we will have more amortization of certain intangibles in our — which reduce earnings and reported earnings, but which, in reality, are not expenses — we'll have more of that than some companies. And I've pointed that out. I haven't — I never want to report one of these things where I have the whole adjusted earnings set out and say, this is what you're supposed to pay attention to, because every one of those I've seen virtually results in some inflation of figures. Things are good enough at Berkshire. We don't need to inflate the figures.
伯克希尔·哈撒韦的信用违约互换
Berkshire Hathaway's credit default swaps
沃伦·巴菲特好的,5 号站。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 5.
现场股东我叫马丁,从德国来。我是固定收益基金经理。我们跟(听不清)一起发了一只基金,然后——
AUDIENCE MEMBERThis is Martin, calling from Germany. I'm a fixed-income manager. We launched, with (inaudible), a fund and —
沃伦·巴菲特我同情你——我同情你。
WARREN BUFFETTYou have my — you have my sympathy.
现场股东对,对。规模大概 6 到 6.5 亿。我们今年跑赢了 4.1 个百分点。显然,我的问题跟固定收益有关。我看你们的年报,规模是 250 亿。如果再加上,比方说,CDS,你们卖出的 CDS,规模大概有 70 到 80 亿。所以我具体的问题是,你们的 CDS 保费在年底大概是 31%——31 个基点——31 个基点——所以按市值计算,可能是在 17、18 到 20 多一点。你们考虑过平掉这个头寸吗?你们有权限这么做,还是(听不清)说不?但你们完全可以做反向交易。也就是买入保护。这背后的理念你们还坚持吗?从(听不清)的角度,你们能在保费极低的时候做这件事吗?比如现在利差在 15 到 20 个基点之间?你能说说吗——
AUDIENCE MEMBERYeah, yeah. The volume is about 600, 650 million. We are 4.1 percent ahead this year. Obviously my question is about fixed income. If I look in your annual report, it's about the volume of 25 billion. And if I add, let's say, the CDS, you were selling the CDS, it is by the volume of 7 or 8 billion. So my concrete question is, the premium on your CDS is about 31 percent — 31 basis points — at the end of the year, so mark-to-market, it is probably at the high teens or 20s. So would you consider to unwind this position? Are you allowed to do it and the (inaudible) say no? But probably you can make exactly the contrary trade on it. That means you are buying protection. Is that a philosophy which you stand behind? Could you do that from the (inaudible) point of view, when the premiums are extremely low, which is at the case that the spreads are, as I said, between 15 and 20 basis points? Can you give —?
沃伦·巴菲特查理,这听起来像是为你量身定做的问题。(笑)我想他指的是——我们有一个头寸是六七年前留下的,或者差不多那个时候,涉及我们出售针对零息市政债券的保护,这些债券的面值——到期价值,嗯——因为是零息,所以到期日很远,根本不是现值。我记得是 77 亿左右。我们就一直持有那个头寸,因为我们喜欢这个头寸。这位先生提到我们的 CDS——我们的 CDS 是——那是人们为防范我们债务违约而购买的保险费。A,这玩意儿时不时还挺活跃,我认为部分原因是,我们既没有为他提到的那个市政合约提供抵押品,而且除了少数例外,我们也未对仍在市场上的股票看跌期权提供抵押。所以对手方必须购买——我相信情况是这样——我认为对手方必须通过 CDS 购买针对伯克希尔信用的保护。而他们购买保护的人,其信用可能还不如伯克希尔,所以我想他们是在——但可能是这些合约对手方所在公司内部的规定,所以——但这实际上对我们没有任何影响。在 2008 年和 2009 年,我们的 CDS 价格涨到了疯狂的水平,我甚至在股东大会上说过,我很想自己卖出这些 CDS,只是不被允许。但 CDS 市场发生了什么,我们其实并不特别在意,而对其他人来说,那就太糟了。他们没从我们这里拿到抵押品,我们也不会给他们。所以他们不得不买这些东西,依我看,他们是在浪费钱,但他们可能受内部规则所迫。我想我已经回答了你的问题,只是——查理,你觉得我回答他的问题了吗?
WARREN BUFFETTCharlie, that sounds like it was designed for you. (Laughs) I think he was referring to — we have one position left over from six or seven years ago, or thereabouts, that involves us selling protection on zero coupon municipal bonds with a nominal value — maturity value, which is — since there's zero coupons, is far off, and not present value, at all. I think 7.7 billion or something like that. And we're just sitting with that position because we like the position. And the gentleman mentions that our CDS — our CDS is — that's an insurance premium against our debt that people buy. A, there's a fair amount of activity in it from time to time, and I think that's partially caused by the fact that we neither collateralize that municipal contract that he refers to, but we don't collateralize, with minor exceptions, the equity puts that are still out there. So the counterparties have to buy — I believe this is the case — I think the counterparties have to buy protection on Berkshire's credit through CDSs. Now, the people they buy it from, their credit probably isn't as good as Berkshire's, so I mean I think they're — but it's probably an internal rule at some of these firms that are on the other side of the contract, and so — but that really doesn't make any difference to us. Back in 2008 and '9, our CDS prices went up to a crazy level, and I even commented here at the annual meeting that I would love to be selling them myself, except I wasn't allowed to. But what goes on in a CDS market really isn't of any particular interest to us, and it's too bad for the other guys. They didn't get collateral from us and we wouldn't have given it to them. And so they have to buy these things that, like I say, from our standpoint, they're wasting their money, but they probably have internal rules that make them. I think I've addressed your question, but — Charlie, do you think I've addressed his question?
查理·芒格嗯,事实是,我们不会费太多心思,靠投机取巧的短期操作去多赚那两个基点。那个信用违约头寸只是一桩奇怪的历史遗留产物,我们同样不怎么在意。它迟早会自然消失。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, the truth of the matter is that we don't pay much attention to trying to get an extra two basis points by being gamey on our short-term things. And that credit default position is a weird, historical accident, and we don't pay much attention to it, either. It'll go away in due course.
沃伦·巴菲特对。我们所有的合约都会自然到期。我们现在不——在能源公司那边,我们确实还做少量运营性合约。我提到过一两个地方,它们出于自身原因——有时也是因为公用事业委员会希望它们那样做——会做某些操作,但那都是九牛一毛。而我六七年前建的那些头寸,基本上都处于逐步退出的状态之中,第一批大规模退出将是在 2018 年,也就是一两年后。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. All of our contracts are just going to expire. We're not — now, we do a few operational contracts in our energy company. I've mentioned a couple places where they — for their own reasons and sometimes because the utility commissions want them to — they do certain things, but it's peanuts. And the positions that I instituted six or seven years ago are basically all in a runoff position, and the first big runoffs will be in 2018, in a couple years.
查理·芒格我们基本上不参与——我们不会拿自己的信用违约产品去瞎折腾。
CHARLIE MUNGERWe're basically not in — we don't fool around with our own credit defaults.
沃伦·巴菲特不,不,从来不碰。不过,2008 年我倒确实很想卖出一些。(笑)它们当时的价格实际涨到了——人们愿意支付的——
WARREN BUFFETTNo, no, never, no. But I would've liked to have sold them in 2008. (Laughs) They actually got up — people were paying —
查理·芒格我知道,那简直疯了。
CHARLIE MUNGERI know, it was crazy.
沃伦·巴菲特——500 个基点,也就是 5%,来赌伯克希尔会破产,这完全是疯狂之举,只可惜我当时没法利用那个机会。不过,我确实很想那么干。
WARREN BUFFETT— 500 basis points, 5 percent, in terms of betting that Berkshire would go broke, which was totally crazy, but I couldn't take advantage of it. I wanted to, though.
出色的经理人能带来天壤之别
A fantastic manager makes a huge difference
沃伦·巴菲特贝基。
WARREN BUFFETTBecky.
贝基·奎克这个问题来自汤姆·辛斯利,他是得克萨斯州休斯顿的一位长期股东。他说:“多年来,你对阿吉特·贾恩不吝赞美,肯定他对伯克希尔的贡献。在 2009 年的董事长信中,你写道:‘如果查理、阿吉特和我三个人都困在一条正在下沉的船上,而你只能救一个人,游过去救阿吉特。’我的问题是,要是我们来不及救阿吉特呢?请谈谈这对国民赔偿公司和伯克希尔的影响,以及公司内部是否还有另一位阿吉特。”
BECKY QUICKThis question comes from Tom Hinsley, a long-time shareholder from Houston, Texas, who says, "Over the years, you've been effusive in your praise of Ajit Jain and his contributions to Berkshire. "In the 2009 chairman's letter you wrote, 'If Charlie, Ajit, and I are ever sinking in a boat, and you can only save one of us, swim to Ajit.' My question is, what if we don't get to Ajit in time? Please comment on the impact on National Indemnity and Berkshire, and whether or not there's another Ajit in the house."
沃伦·巴菲特公司里没有另一个阿吉特。你刚刚说的前一部分我没听全——但公司里确实没有另一个阿吉特。
WARREN BUFFETTThere's not another Ajit in the house. I didn't hear the part immediately before it when you were — but there is not another Ajit on the house.
贝基·奎克对国民赔偿公司的影响——我指的是,对保险公司业务造成的影响——
BECKY QUICKThe impact on National Indemnity — I guess the impact on the insurance companies, as a result —
沃伦·巴菲特如果我们失去他?
WARREN BUFFETTIf we lost him?
贝基·奎克对。
BECKY QUICKYeah.
沃伦·巴菲特那影响会非常重大。其他子公司的其他一些经理人也是如此。但阿吉特负责的业务尤其显著,因为,的确有些年头,我们那个部门大概只有 25 个人——或者 30 个人左右——虽然那是一段不寻常的时期——但在阿吉特的带领下,它的盈利潜力相当惊人。那种程度的盛况可能不会完全重演了。我倒是希望还能再来一遍。但他为伯克希尔做出了极其巨大的贡献。不过,我可以信手拈来——从[GEICO 首席执行官]托尼[·奈斯利]开始——你可以一路数下去——有太多经理人为伯克希尔创造了数十亿、甚至数百亿美元的价值。我的意思是,有些人创造的可能接近上百亿。这是——拥有一位出色的经理人,同时他手头又有庞大的业务——或者说潜在的业务——可供施展,并把它发挥到了极致,你知道,经过时间的沉淀,这实在是太重要了。这种价值你未必能在一周、一个月或者类似的短期里看出来。但是,在积累资本价值的过程中,你想想[首席执行官]杰夫·贝佐斯对亚马逊的价值。没有他,这一切都不会发生,你看,这就是巨大的价值。我还能举出其他例子。你知道,汤姆·墨菲和丹·伯克的价值就是从零到他们最终成就之间的全部差距。我的意思是,他们从纽约州奥尔巴尼市一家破产的超高频电视台白手起家,并不是因为他们发明了电视或者诸如此类的东西,纯粹是因为他们管理得太出色了。所以,极其杰出的经理人是无价之宝,我们希望——查理和我自己无法包打天下,但我们希望和他们并肩而行,并让他们对伯克希尔产生和我们一样的感情。如果我们做到了这一点,我们就拥有了一笔巨大的资产,而我们也确实在阿吉特和许多其他经理人身上做到了。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTIt would be very significant. And that would be true of some other managers of some other subsidiaries. But it's quite dramatic with Ajit's operation, because, literally, there were a few years when we had, like, 25 or so — or 30 — people where that operation — it was an unusual period to be in — but where it's earning potential, under Ajit, was fantastic. That probably won't happen to that degree again. I wish it would. But he's done a tremendous amount for Berkshire. But I can, you know, you can start with [GEICO CEO] Tony [Nicely] — you go to all — there have been a lot of managers that have created billions and billions of dollars of value for Berkshire. I mean, and maybe you can get into the tens of billions, you know. It's — having a fantastic manager that has a large business — potential business — available to them, and who makes the most of it, you know, it's huge over time. You don't see it necessarily in a week or a month or anything of the sort. But when you're building capital value, I mean, think of the value of [CEO] Jeff Bezos to Amazon. It wouldn't have happened without him, you know, and you're looking at huge values. And I could name other situations. You know, the value of Tom Murphy and Dan Burke was the difference between zero and what they ended up with. I mean, they built that thing from a bankrupt UHF station in Albany. It wasn't that they were — they didn't invent television or anything of the sort, they just managed it so well. So, really outstanding managers, they're invaluable, and we want to — Charlie and I can't do it ourselves, but we want to align ourselves with them and then, you know, have them feel about Berkshire the way we feel about it. And if we do that, we have an enormous asset, and we do have, in Ajit and a number of the other managers. Charlie?
查理·芒格是的,而且阿吉特的“保质期”比我们俩都长。(笑声)要是没了他,大家会格外怀念的。
CHARLIE MUNGERYes, and Ajit has a longer shelf life than we do. (Laughter) He'd be particularly missed.
沃伦·巴菲特行了,查理,咱可别在这儿认输啊。(笑声)我拒绝这种失败主义论调。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTWell, let's not give up here, Charlie. (Laughter) I reject such defeatism. (Laughs)
现在花一点钱,换取以后拥有大量资金
Paying a little money now to have a lot of money later
沃伦·巴菲特克利夫。
WARREN BUFFETTCliff.
克利夫·加伦特谢谢。今天已经多次讨论了低利率甚至负利率,您也提到了它对浮存金回报率的影响。我想知道,股东应该如何评估通过转分保再保险业务创造的那 25% 的浮存金?这些业务是以承保亏损入账的,而且有时会出现回溯性的不利发展。
CLIFF GALLANTThank you. Low-to-negative interest rates is something that's been discussed a few times today, and you've mentioned its implications for a return on float. I was wondering, how should shareholders value the 25 percent of the float that's been created by retrocessional reinsurance, where the business is booked at an underwriting loss, and at times, has adversely developed?
沃伦·巴菲特是的。克利夫提到的这类业务,我们在保险业务中确实会承保,也就是愿意接受一定程度上产生承保亏损的可能性,来换取在极长时期内使用这笔资金的权利。以今天的利率水平来看,我们似乎没法用这些资金做成什么事。对此,有两个答案。第一,从我们签下的这类合同所覆盖的期限来看,我们认为——我们不认为这些利率会持续下去,但我们也有可能判断错。第二,我们也确实认为,即使在低利率时期,我们偶尔也会得到机会,去做一些能产生相当不错回报的事。所以,我们不是去对标双 A 级公司债或诸如此类的基准。我们衡量的是这笔钱对我们潜在的实际效用,因为我们拥有非同寻常的灵活性,在配置资金方面,在这段漫长的时期里,我们或许能抓住一两个机会,让我们配置资金所获得的回报率,比别人的回报率高出不少。只要我们现在有这个能力去配置这些资金。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Cliff brings up, some of our business, in the insurance business, we take with either the probability of some underwriting loss, in order to get to use the money for a very long period of time. And it would look, under today's interest rates, like we can't do much with that. There's two answers to that. We don't think it will — for the duration of the kind of contracts we have — we don't expect these rates, but we could be wrong. But the second one, also, is that we do think that occasionally we will get chances, even in periods of low interest rates, to do things that are — will produce quite a bit — very reasonable returns. And so we do not — we are not measuring it against, you know, double-A corporates, or anything of the sort. We're measuring it in the potential utility, to us with our really pretty unusual flexibility, in respect to the deployment of funds, and this long period when we'll have an opportunity, perhaps, to come up with one or two things that — where we can deploy money at a rate that may be quite a bit higher than other people. Assume now the money can be deployed. Charlie?
查理·芒格是的,我们愿意现在花一点钱,就为了确保在困难时期出现极具吸引力的机会时,我们手头能有大量的资金可用。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah, we're willing to pay a little money now to have just a certainty of having a lot of money available in case something really attractive comes up in a difficult time.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。这是一项期权的成本。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. It's an option cost.
查理·芒格这是期权的成本,没错。
CHARLIE MUNGERIt's an option cost, right.
沃伦·巴菲特这种期权在 2008 年和 2009 年就派上了用场。
WARREN BUFFETTAnd that option came in handy in 2008 and '9, for example.
查理·芒格那可不。
CHARLIE MUNGERDid it ever.
当前住宅房地产并无全国性泡沫
No nationwide bubble in residential real estate now
沃伦·巴菲特好,6 号站。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 6.
现场股东嗨,查理和沃伦。我叫明迪·詹森,来自科罗拉多州朗蒙特市。我在最大的线上房地产投资社交网络 BiggerPockets.com 工作。我们看到投资者开始担心房地产市场有点过热,类似于 2005、2006 和 2007 年的上涨,那轮上涨后来导致了 2008 年的崩盘。沃伦,您在 2012 年告诉贝基·奎克,说如果您有办法轻松管理,您会买入 10 万套房子然后出租。您现在怎么看房地产市场?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHi, Charlie and Warren. My name is Mindy Jensen, and I'm from Longmont, Colorado. I work for the largest real estate investing social network online, called BiggerPockets.com. We're seeing investors starting to get concerned that the real estate market is a bit frothy, similar to the run-up of 2005, '6, and '7, that led to the crash in 2008. Warren, in 2012, you told Becky Quick that if you had a way to easily manage them, you'd buy 100,000 houses and rent them out. How do you feel about the real estate market today?
沃伦·巴菲特现在不如 2012 年那会儿有吸引力了。(笑)你知道,我们预测房地产市场的能力,不比预测股市或利率市场强多少,但眼下确实——这在一定程度上是低利率驱动的——但确实有些房产在以极低、极低的资本化率出售,在我看来,这些房产的潜在损失可能大于潜在收益。但话说回来,如果你能以极低的成本借到钱,又相信自己买入的是某类相当安全的资产,收益率高出 100 个或 150 个基点,这么做的诱惑确实很大。我觉得这么做是个错误,但,你知道,我也有可能看错。我现在完全没看到住宅房地产有全国性泡沫。我觉得,在奥马哈这样的地方,或者——美国大部分地区——你都不用为住宅房地产支付泡沫价格。但这与 2012 年的情况已经大不相同了。而且我也不认为下一次出问题会是房地产泡沫。我确实认为,它在很大程度上是 2008 和 2009 年那场危机的根源,但我不认为——我不认为以后会简单重演那一幕。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTIt's not as attractive as it was in 2012. (Laughs) The — you know, we're not particularly better at predicting real estate markets than we are stock markets, or interest rate markets, but there's certainly — and it's driven to some extent by these low interest rates — but there's certainly properties that are being sold at very, very low cap rates that strike me as having more potential for loss than gain. But again, if you can borrow money for very, very little, and you think you're getting into some very safe asset, 100 basis points or 150 basis points higher, there's a great temptation to do it. I think it's a mistake to do that, but, you know, I could be wrong. I don't see a nationwide bubble in residential real estate now, at all. I think, you know, I think in a place like Omaha or, you know — most of the country — you are not paying bubble prices for residential real estate. But it's quite different than it was in 2012. And I don't think the next time around the problem is going to be a real estate bubble. I think that it certainly was the cause, in a very large part, of what happened in 2008 and '9, but I don't — I don't think it'll be a replica of that. Charlie?
查理·芒格没什么要补充的。
CHARLIE MUNGERNothing to add.
称赞投资组合经理泰德·韦施勒和托德·库姆斯
Praise for portfolio managers Ted Weschler and Todd Combs
沃伦·巴菲特好的。安德鲁。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Andrew.
安德鲁·罗斯·索金沃伦,托德和泰德在伯克希尔已经好几年了。他们最大的成功和失败具体是什么?他们从查理和你身上学到了什么?你和他们之间最大的区别是什么?
ANDREW ROSS SORKINWarren, Todd and Ted now have been at Berkshire for several years. What have been their biggest hits, and failures, specifically? And what have they learned from Charlie and Warren, and what are the biggest differences between you and them?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我先回答最简单的最后一部分。我在思考我们能做的大型交易,无论是投资还是企业并购,最好是在经营业务中。我的意思是,他们的主要工作仍然是——每人管理一个 90 亿美元的投资组合,其中一个可能有七八个仓位,另一个可能有十三四个,但他们的投资方法非常相似。他们在许多事情上都发挥了巨大作用,包括一些重要的事情,这些事他们不拿一分钱报酬,但做起来和那些能为他们带来经济回报的事情一样开心。他们非常适合伯克希尔的文化。他们业务能力很强。他们是伯克希尔的重要补充。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I'll answer the last part, the easiest. I am trying to think of very big deals that we can do something in, in investments, or in business, preferably just in operating businesses. I mean, they still are — their primary job is working on — each has a $9 billion portfolio, and one of them has, I don't know, perhaps seven or eight positions, and the other one has maybe thirteen or fourteen, but they have a very similar approach to investing. They've both been enormously helpful in doing several things, including important things, that — for which they don't get paid a dime, and which they're just as happy working on as — working on the things — as they are when they're working on things that do pay off for them financially. They've got — they're perfect cultural fits for Berkshire. They're smart at what they do. And, you know, they're a big addition to Berkshire. Charlie?
查理·芒格我还是没什么要补充的。
CHARLIE MUNGERAgain, I've got nothing to add.
沃伦·巴菲特我回答全了吗,安德鲁,还是漏掉了什么?
WARREN BUFFETTDid I cover the whole thing, Andrew, or was there one —a part I missed there?
安德鲁·罗斯·索金最大的成功和失败。我想他们特别想知道,在投资方面,以及试图理解你的思维方式——我想问题的隐含意思是,他们的思维方式和你有什么不同?
ANDREW ROSS SORKINBiggest hits and failures. I think they specifically wanted to know, in terms of investments, and trying to understand the way you think perhaps — I think the question was more — I think — the implication was, the way they think and the way you think, are there differences?
沃伦·巴菲特是的。我会说他们的工作范围更大,因为他们可以研究 5 亿美元规模的想法,而我则想着如何配置数十亿美元。而且他们可能——当然,他们对过去十年或十五年发展起来的某些行业和业务活动有更广泛的知识。他们在这方面的理解比我更深。但他们的投资方法,他们也在寻找自己了解并且能通过股票以合理价格买入的企业,他们相信这些企业五年或十年后会赚更多的钱。所以这和我思考的非常相似,只是我可能再加一个零。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. They're — I would say they're — they have a bigger universe to work with, because they can look at ideas in which they can put 500 million, and I'm looking — I'm trying to think of ways to put, you know, sums into billions. But — and they probably — well, they certainly — have more extensive knowledge of certain industries and activities in business that have developed in the last ten or fifteen years. They'd be smarter on that than I am. But their approach to investing, I mean, they're looking for businesses that they understand and that are going to — and through the stocks of those businesses — that they can buy at a sensible price and that they think will be earning significantly more money five or ten years from now. So it's very similar to what I'm thinking about, except I'd probably add another zero to it.
查理·芒格我们不想谈论具体的成功和失败。
CHARLIE MUNGERAnd we don't want to talk about specific hits and failures.
沃伦·巴菲特不。好的。格雷格。是的,我们永远不会披露——我的意思是,我们每 90 天提交一次报告,显示伯克希尔在可交易证券上的操作,但我们不会确定——我可能会确定这是否是我的还是他们的,但我们不会披露他们个人具体做了什么。
WARREN BUFFETTNo. OK. Gregg. Yeah, we will never get into disclosing — I mean, we file reports every 90 days that show what Berkshire does in marketable securities, but we don't identify — I may identify whether it's mine or theirs, but we don't get into identifying what they do individually.
我们调动资金支付精密铸件公司收购款
We moved money to pay for Precision Castparts
格雷格·沃伦看伯克希尔的金融和金融产品板块,去年集团账上的现金量有相当大幅度的增长。在 2012 年到 2014 年期间,该板块持有的现金量稳定在 20 亿到 25 亿美元之间,然后去年第三季度末猛增至 54 亿美元,2015 年末达到 71 亿美元。这恰好与你收购 GE 的铁路车厢租赁业务以及收购几个铁路车厢维修保养设施的时间点重合。去年销售和盈利都相当稳健,但似乎不足以解释现金量的这么大变化。而投资、债务和其他负债的变化,似乎也不足以解释这个差额,大概只能解释其中的 10 亿美元。就想知道多出来的那 35 亿美元现金从哪来的,以及去年末现金量的升高,对业务来说是富余的,还是运营所需的新常态水平?
GREGG WARRENLooking at Berkshire's finance and financial products segment, there was a fairly significant increase in the amount of cash carried on the group's books last year. After holding steady between 2 and 2-and-a-half billion dollars during 2012 to 2014, the amount of cash held at the segments spiked up to 5.4 billion at the end of the third quarter of last year, and $7.1 billion at the end of 2015. This incidentally coincided with your acquisition of GE's railcar leasing unit, as well as the acquisition of several railcar repair maintenance facilities. Sales and profitability were fairly solid last year, but don't really seem to account for the magnitude of the change in cash. And investments, debt, and other liabilities do not look to have changed significantly enough to count for the difference, perhaps accounting for about $1 billion of the increase. Just wondering where the additional $3.5 billion in cash came from, and whether or not the elevated level of cash at the end of last year is excess to the business, or a new required level of cash for the operation?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯。这个,我——我不知道这部分现金从哪来的——你觉得我应该知道这 35 亿美元,但我可以告诉你为什么我们在把钱往母公司以及金融公司里集中。这些钱基本上是用来支付收购精密铸件公司那笔交易中需要现金支付的 220 亿美元部分的。我们借了——实际上我们借了 120 亿美元——但其中有 100 亿是——那 120 亿借款里的——是借来的。然后我们根据各个来源的资金归属情况等,把钱从不同地方调过去,把这些钱汇入那两个实体,最后再汇集到母公司,用以支付那笔到期的 220 亿美元,结果就是到一月底精密铸件公司交易完成时。这其实除了这个原因之外,没有别的特殊意义。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. Well, I can — I can't tell where it came from — you think I would, 3-and-a-half billion — but I can tell you why we were funneling money into the parent company and the finance company. That money was basically dedicated to making the 22 billion portion of the Precision Castparts purchase that was accounted for by cash. We borrowed — we actually borrowed 12 billion — but 10 billion was what was — of the borrowing — was there. And we pushed money from various sources, depending on who owned what and that sort of thing, we pushed money into those two entities, and eventually into the parent company, to take care of the 22 billion that was coming due, turned out to be at the end of January, when the Precision Castparts closed. There's really no significance to it other than that.
IBM 正“应对一场重大变革”
IBM is "coping with a considerable change"
沃伦·巴菲特好。7 号站位。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Station 7.
现场股东下午好,巴菲特先生和芒格先生。我叫 Jeffrey Ustep,来自新泽西州克兰福德。我有一个简单的问题想问你们。您如何解释 IBM 的护城河?
AUDIENCE MEMBERGood afternoon, Mr. Buffett and Mr. Munger. My name is Jeffrey Ustep (PH) from Cranford, New Jersey. I just have a simple question for you. How would you explain IBM's moat?
沃伦·巴菲特我不确定这个问题简单。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTI'm not sure that's a simple question. (Laughs)
查理·芒格不,我也不知道。
CHARLIE MUNGERNo, I don't either.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,它有某些优势,也有某些劣势。我不想对我们持有的任何一家投资组合公司做投资分析。我想——我觉得最好就此打住。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTWell, it has certain strengths and certain weaknesses. And I don't think we want to get into giving an investment analysis of any of the portfolio companies that we own. I would — I think I probably better leave it there. Charlie?
查理·芒格没错。它显然正在应对计算领域的一场重大变革,而且正在尝试一项宏大又有趣的事情,天知道它最后会是一般成功还是大获成功。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah. It's obviously coping with a considerable change in the computing world, and it's attempting something that's big and interesting, and God knows whether it's going to work modestly or very well.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
查理·芒格我觉得沃伦也不知道。
CHARLIE MUNGERI don't think Warren knows either.
沃伦·巴菲特不知道。我们等着看这些优势到底是不是优势。但——
WARREN BUFFETTNo. We'll find out whether the strengths are strengths. But —
查理·芒格不过这是一个很多聪明人都想在里面做大的领域。
CHARLIE MUNGERBut it's a field that a lot of intelligent people are trying to get big in.
巴菲特和芒格的幽默感从何而来
Where Buffett and Munger get their sense of humor
沃伦·巴菲特好。我们进行第 8 部分,然后休会 15 分钟,之后是公司正式会议。8 号站位。
WARREN BUFFETTOK. We're going to go to Section 8, and then we will adjourn for 15 minutes, prior to the formal meeting of the company. Station 8.
现场股东大家好。下午好。我叫 Cristian Campos,来自纽约市,是巴鲁克学院会计专业大四学生,巴鲁克学院属于纽约市立大学。巴菲特先生,在您每年的致股东信、每次采访中,甚至今天,您的幽默感总是自然流露。您的幽默感从何而来?请告诉我们。谢谢。(笑声)
AUDIENCE MEMBERHello, everybody. Good afternoon. My name is Cristian Campos. I'm from New York City. I'm a senior accounting major at Baruch College, part of the City University of New York. And, Mr. Buffett, in your annual shareholder letters, and during interviews, and even today, your sense of humor always shines through. Where does your sense of humor come from? Please tell us. Thank you. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特那只是我看世界的方式。这个世界非常有趣,有时又极其幽默。实际上,我觉得查理的幽默感比我还强,所以让他来回答他的幽默感从哪儿来的吧。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTThat's just the way I see the world. It's a very interesting and, at times, very humorous place. And actually, I think Charlie has a better sense of humor than I have, so I'll let him answer where he got his. (Laughter)
查理·芒格我认为,如果你准确地看清这个世界,它必然是幽默的,因为它本身就荒唐。(笑声和掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGERI think if you see the world accurately, it's bound to be humorous, because it's ridiculous. (Laughter and applause)
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我觉得这是个收场的好时机。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I think that's a good note to close on.
股东大会问答环节结束
Shareholder Q&A concludes
沃伦·巴菲特我们 15 分钟后重新开会,进入会议正式部分。我们有一个代理投票事项需要表决,所以——我希望那些有兴趣进一步了解气候变化对保险业影响的人,能留下来,我们会就此进行讨论。我们 3:45 见。谢谢。
WARREN BUFFETTWe will reconvene in 15 minutes for the formal part of the meeting. We have one proxy item to act on, and — so I hope that those of you who are interested in learning more about, actually, the insurance aspects of climate change, will stick around, and we'll have a discussion on that. And I'll see you at 3:45. Thank you.
伯克希尔正式股东大会开始
Berkshire's formal annual meeting begins
沃伦·巴菲特好的。请大家安静下来,我们继续开会。现在正式开会。我是沃伦·巴菲特,公司董事会主席。欢迎各位出席 2016 年度股东大会。今天上午,我已经介绍了到场的伯克希尔·哈撒韦董事。今天与我们在一起的,还有德勤会计师事务所的合伙人,我们的审计师。你们如果对他们审计伯克希尔账目有适当的问题,他们可以回答。Sharon Heck 是伯克希尔·哈撒韦的秘书,她将做会议书面记录。Becki Amick 被任命为本次会议的选举监察员。她将核证董事选举的计票结果以及本次会议将要表决的动议。本次会议的指定代理投票持有人是 Walter Scott 和 Marc Hamburg。请秘书报告一下伯克希尔在外流通股份——我身后的灯关了——有权投票并在本次会议上得到代表的股份数量?
WARREN BUFFETTOK. If everybody will please settle down, we'll proceed with the meeting. The meeting will now come to order. I'm Warren Buffett, chairman of the board of directors of the company. I welcome you to this 2016 annual meeting of shareholders. This morning, I introduced the Berkshire Hathaway directors that are present. Also with us today are partners in the firm of Deloitte & Touche, our auditors. They're available to respond to appropriate questions you might have concerning their firm's audit of the accounts of Berkshire. Sharon Heck is secretary of Berkshire Hathaway, and she will make a written record of the proceedings. Becki Amick has been appointed inspector of elections at this meeting. She will certify the count of votes cast in the election for directors, and the motion to be voted upon at this meeting. The named proxy holders for this meeting are Walter Scott and Marc Hamburg. Does the secretary have a report of the number of Berkshire shares outstanding — turned off the lights on me — entitled to vote and represented at the meeting?
Sharon Heck是的。正如随本次会议通知寄发的委托投票书所示,会议通知已于 2016 年 3 月 2 日寄发给全体在册股东,该日期为本次会议的股权登记日。当日,在外流通的伯克希尔·哈撒韦 A 类普通股为 807,242 股,每股有权在会议审议的动议上投一票;在外流通的伯克希尔·哈撒韦 B 类普通股为 1,254,393,030 股,每股有权在会议审议的动议上投万分之一个投票权。在上述股份中,截至 4 月 28 日周四晚间,已返回的代理投票代表 575,608 股 A 类股和 772,724,950 股 B 类股出席本次会议。
SHARON HECKYes, I do. As indicated in the proxy statement that accompanied the notice of this meeting that was sent to all shareholders of record on March 2nd, 2016, the record date for this meeting, there were 807,242 shares of Class A Berkshire Hathaway common stock outstanding, with each share entitled to one vote on motions considered at the meeting, and 1,254,393,030 shares of Class B Berkshire Hathaway common stock outstanding, with each share entitled to one ten-thousandth of one vote on motions considered at the meeting. Of that number, 575,608 Class A shares and 772,724,950 Class B shares are represented at this meeting by proxies returned through Thursday evening, April 28th.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢。该数目代表已达法定人数,因此我们将直接进行会议。第一项议程是宣读上次股东大会的会议记录。有请 Walter Scott 先生向大会提出一项动议。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you. That number represents a quorum, and we will therefore directly proceed with the meeting. The first order of business will be a reading of the minutes of the last meeting of shareholders. I recognize Mr. Walter Scott who will place a motion before the meeting.
Walter Scott我提议免去宣读上次股东大会会议记录的程序,并批准该会议记录。
WALTER SCOTTI move that the reading of the minutes of the last meeting of shareholders be dispensed with and the minutes be approved.
沃伦·巴菲特有无附议?
WARREN BUFFETTDo I hear a second?
Marc Hamburg我附议。
MARC HAMBURGI second the motion.
沃伦·巴菲特动议已经提出并获附议。我们将以口头表决的方式对该动议进行投票。所有赞成的请说“赞成”。反对的?动议通过。
WARREN BUFFETTThe motion has been moved and seconded. We will vote on the motion by voice vote. All those in favor say, "Aye." Opposed? The motion is carried.
选举伯克希尔董事
Election of Berkshire directors
沃伦·巴菲特下一项议程是选举董事。如果在场股东之前未提交代理投票,或希望撤回先前已提交的代理投票,您可以亲自就董事选举及本次会议审议的其他事项进行投票。请向走道上的会议工作人员表明身份,以便领取选票。有请 Walter Scott 先生就董事选举向大会提出一项动议。
WARREN BUFFETTThe next item of business is to elect directors. If a shareholder is present who did not send in a proxy or wishes to withdraw a proxy previously sent in, you may vote in person on the election of directors and other matters to be considered at this meeting. Please identify yourself to one of the meeting officials in the aisle so that you can receive a ballot. I recognize Mr. Walter Scott to place a motion before the meeting with respect to election of directors.
Walter Scott我提议选举沃伦·巴菲特、查理·芒格、霍华德·巴菲特、斯蒂芬·伯克(Stephen Burke)、苏珊·德克尔(Susan Decker)、威廉·盖茨(William Gates)、大卫·戈特斯曼(David Gottesman)、夏洛特·盖曼(Charlotte Guyman)、托马斯·墨菲(Thomas Murphy)、罗恩·奥尔森(Ron Olson)、沃尔特·斯科特(Walter Scott)和梅里尔·威特默(Meryl Witmer)为董事。
WALTER SCOTTI move that Warren Buffett, Charles Munger, Howard Buffett, Stephen Burke, Susan Decker, William Gates, David Gottesman, Charlotte Guyman, Thomas Murphy, Ron Olson, Walter Scott, and Meryl Witmer be elected as directors.
沃伦·巴菲特有无附议?
WARREN BUFFETTIs there a second?
Marc Hamburg我附议。
MARC HAMBURGI second the motion.
沃伦·巴菲特动议已由人提出并获附议,选举沃伦·巴菲特、查理·芒格、霍华德·巴菲特、斯蒂芬·伯克、苏珊·德克尔、威廉·盖茨、大卫·戈特斯曼、夏洛特·盖曼、托马斯·墨菲、罗纳德·奥尔森(Ronald Olson)、沃尔特·斯科特和梅里尔·威特默为董事。是否还有其他提名或讨论?提名已准备就绪,可付诸表决。若有股东亲自投票,现在应在董事选举选票上做出标记,并将选票交给走道上的会议工作人员。Amick 女士,您准备好后即可提交报告。
WARREN BUFFETTIt has been moved and seconded that Warren Buffett, Charles Munger, Howard Buffett, Stephen Burke, Susan Decker, William Gates, David Gottesman, Charlotte Guyman, Thomas Murphy, Ronald Olson, Walter Scott, and Meryl Witmer be elected as directors. Are there any other nominations or any discussion? The nominations are ready to be acted upon. If there are any shareholders voting in person, they should now mark their ballot on the election of directors and deliver their ballot to one of the meeting officials in the aisles. Miss Amick, when you are ready, you may give your report.
Becki Amick我的报告已准备好。根据截至上周四晚间收到的代理投票,代理投票持有人对所有提名人选投出的选票均不少于 643,789 票。这一票数远超过所有在外流通 A 类和 B 类股份总投票权的多数。特拉华州法律要求提供的投票精确计票证明将交予秘书,与本次会议记录一并存档。
BECKI AMICKMy report is ready. The ballot of the proxy holders, in response to proxies that were received through last Thursday evening, cast not less than 643,789 votes for each nominee. That number far exceeds a majority of the number of the total votes of all Class A and Class B shares outstanding. The certification required by Delaware law of the precise count of the votes will be given to the secretary to be placed with the minutes of this meeting.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢 Amick 女士。沃伦·巴菲特、查理·芒格、霍华德·巴菲特、斯蒂芬·伯克、苏珊·德克尔、威廉·盖茨、大卫·戈特斯曼、夏洛特·盖曼、托马斯·墨菲、罗纳德·奥尔森、沃尔特·斯科特和梅里尔·威特默当选为董事。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you, Miss Amick. Warren Buffett, Charles Munger, Howard Buffett, Stephen Burke, Susan Decker, William Gates, David Gottesman, Charlotte Guyman, Thomas Murphy, Ronald Olson, Walter Scott, and Meryl Witmer have been elected as directors.
股东关于气候变化风险的提案
Shareholder proposal on climate change risks
沃伦·巴菲特下一项议程是由内布拉斯加和平基金会提出的一项动议。动议内容已在委托投票书中载明,请放映员展示第 9 号幻灯片好吗?好的,在这里。该动议要求我们的保险业务发布一份报告,说明其如何应对气候变化带来的风险,包括针对已识别的每一项风险问题所制定的具体举措和目标。董事们已建议股东投票反对该提案。下面有请——我想应该是在 1 号区域——有请詹姆斯·汉森博士陈述该动议。不过我想,也许是内布拉斯加和平基金会的那位先生先做介绍,然后他再介绍汉森博士。为让所有有兴趣的股东都能发表意见,我请第一位发言人将发言时间控制在 5 分钟以内,此后——1 号区域的麦克风可供希望表示支持或反对该动议的人随后使用——1 号区域是唯一开启的麦克风站点。为方便在场各位,我要求每一位支持或反对该动议的发言人,除第一位发言人外,将发言时间限制在 2 分钟以内,并请仅就动议本身发表意见。动议内容应该留在屏幕上——我看看,屏幕上现在有吗?好,好的,动议就留在屏幕上。顺便提一下,从某种意义上说,该动议要求我们提交一份关于气候变化对保险部门所带来风险的报告,而我在年报中确实谈到了这个话题。年报本身就是一份报告,而且是得到我们保险风险头号专家阿吉特·贾恩认可的。因此,这确实代表了保险部门的看法,也代表了我本人作为首席风险官的看法。但现在该议题公开讨论,我们欢迎第一位发言人的意见。如果您只是要介绍汉森博士——我在这看不清上面谁是谁——那么我默认汉森博士将有 5 分钟时间,随后的发言者每人 2 分钟。开始吧,请说。
WARREN BUFFETTThe next item of business is a motion put forth by the Nebraska Peace Foundation. The motion is set forth in the proxy statement, and will the projectionist please put up number 9? Here we are. The motion requested our insurance business issue a report describing their response to the risks posed by climate change, including specific initiatives and goals relating to each risk issue identified. The directors have recommended that the shareholders vote against the proposal. I will now recognize — and I think it'll be up in area one — I will now recognize Dr. James Hansen to present the motion. But I believe, maybe, the gentleman from the Nebraska Peace Foundation may be introducing it, and then he may introduce Dr. Hansen. To allow all interested shareholders to present their views, I ask the initial speaker to limit his remarks to five minutes, and then those — the microphone in zone one is available for those wishing to speak for or against the motion, subsequently — zone one is the only microphone station in operation. For the benefit of those present, I ask that each speaker for or against the motion limit themselves, with the exception of the initial speaker, to two minutes, and confine your remarks solely to the motion. And the motion should be left up on the — let's see, is that up there or not? Yeah, OK, the motion shall be left up there. In a sense, incidentally, it asks us to present a report about the risk to the insurance division by climate change, and I did address this subject in the annual report. That would be a report, and it was a report that was concurred in by Ajit Jain, who is our number one expert on insurance risks. So that does represent the view of our insurance division, and myself, as the chief risk officer. But the subject now is open and we welcome the initial speaker's comments. And if you're just going to introduce Dr. Hansen — I can't see who's who up there — then I presume that he will have the five minutes and then subsequent speakers will have two minutes. So go to it, you're on.
马克·瓦西纳谢谢。我叫马克·瓦西纳,是内布拉斯加和平基金会的财务主管,持有一股伯克希尔·哈撒韦 A 类股。我们是巴菲特先生刚才提及的那项股东决议的发起人。我们提出开展风险分析并就其提交报告的建议,是在追随英格兰银行的前例。去年 9 月,该行发布了一份关于保险业所面临气候变化风险的全面报告,并建议其监管的公司对此类风险进行审查并将结果对外公布。英格兰银行监管着英国保险业,这是全球第三大保险市场。我把剩余时间交给世界知名气候科学家詹姆斯·汉森博士。
MARK VASINAThank you. My name is Mark Vasina. I'm the treasurer of the Nebraska Peace Foundation, the owner of one A share of Berkshire Hathaway. We are the sponsor of the shareholder resolution which Mr. Buffett has described. In so doing, making the recommendation to develop a risk analysis and report on it, we're following the lead of the Bank of England, which last September published a comprehensive report on climate change risks facing the insurance industry, and recommended that its regulated companies conduct reviews of the risks and make this available. The Bank of England regulates the UK insurance industry, which is the third-largest global insurance market. I'll turn the rest of my time over to world-renowned climate scientist Dr. James Hansen.
詹姆斯·汉森博士感谢给我这个机会。我想提一个建议,希望您能认真思考。气候的某些方面已经变得清晰。人类正在改变大气层,而且我们能测量出这如何改变地球的能量平衡。进入的能量大于散逸的能量。于是海洋在升温,冰盖在融化,海平面开始上升。我们正接近一个临界点,会给年轻人留下一场失控的局面:在当今这一代年轻人的有生之年,冰盖崩解和海平面上升数米的过程将不可阻挡,那意味着沿海城市消失和经济重创。在任何人类关切的时间尺度上,海平面上升都是不可逆的。气候快速变化的另一个不可逆后果,是地球上相当大比例的物种将灭绝。归根结底一句话,我们不能把所有的化石燃料都烧光。而经济中的“万有引力定律”就是,只要化石燃料看上去还是最便宜的能源,我们就会一直烧下去。因此,鉴于公众对您的敬重和信任,我请求您考虑是否有可能发表一份公开声明,支持一项收入中性、逐步递增的碳费。需要通过碳费才能让化石燃料的价格做到诚实,将其对人类的空气污染、水污染和气候变化的成本包含在内。需要一项不断攀升的碳费,来激励私营部门在清洁能源和能效领域进行有效投资。最重要的是,它将稳步压减化石燃料的使用。我不是要求您当场就表态支持碳费,但我希望您能思考一下,或许在您的下一份报告中给出一个清晰的声明。这可能成为您最伟大的遗产。它能影响一切,甚至影响我们未来气候的走向。谢谢。
DR JAMES HANSENThank you for this opportunity. I want to make a suggestion that I hope you will ponder. Some aspects of climate have become clear. Humans are changing the atmosphere, and we can measure how this is changing earth's energy balance. More energy is coming in than going out. So the ocean is warming, ice sheets are melting, and sea level is beginning to rise. We are now close to a point of handing young people a situation that will be out of control, with ice sheet disintegration and multimeter sea level rise during the lifetime of today's young people, which would mean loss of coastal cities and economic devastation. Sea level rise would be irreversible on any time scale of interest to humanity. The other irreversible effect of rapid climate change would be extinction of a substantial fraction of the species on Earth. The bottom line is that we cannot burn all fossil fuels, and the economic law of gravity is that as long as fossil fuels appear to be the cheapest energy, we will keep burning them. So my request, given the respect and the trust the public has in you, is that you reflect upon the possibility of a public statement in favor of a revenue-neutral, gradually-rising carbon fee. A carbon fee is needed to make the price of fossil fuels honest, to include the costs to humanity of their air pollution, water pollution, and climate change. A rising carbon fee is needed to spur effective investments by the private sector in clean energies and energy efficiency. Most important, it will steadily phase down fossil fuel use. I'm not asking you to endorse a carbon fee on the spot, but I hope that you will reflect upon it and perhaps provide a clear statement in your next report. It could be your greatest legacy. It could affect everything, even the course of our future climate. T Thanks.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢您,汉森博士。我想说的是,我们——(掌声)——虽然在一些细节问题上我们看法可能不同,而且我不——我完全不是这方面的专家——但我不认为您和我在这一点上有什么分歧:气候变化非常重要——你知道,这是一件存在不可逆转临界点的事情——如果人类正走在您认为确定无疑、我认为很有可能的那条道路上,那这的确是一个极其重要的话题。但今天提出的动议针对的是保险方面的问题,而我们讨论过——相信我,我们确实思考并讨论过保险方面的问题,而且我实际上已在年报中,也就是这份动议所要求提交报告的地方,给出了回应。因此,摆在股东面前的事项,不是我对气候变化是否真实存在、或者征收碳税是否合适的看法,而是它是否对我们的保险业务构成风险。我认可英格兰银行——我读过了那份报告——但我们谨慎地持不同意见,不是在气候变化的重要性方面存在分歧,而是在气候变化对我们保险业务构成风险这个问题上。我们不——我们并不被动——我们不承保长期保单。我们不必非承保任何东西不可,因此——我们是在风险方案提交到我们面前时再去做判断,通常就是看为期一年的期限里,我们是否愿意以某个报价接受某项特定的风险。而这一点——显然,气候在我们的业务中极其重要,飓风可能是最重要的,尽管我们也会涉及地震——但这正是该提案所针对的内容,而我们也已就这个问题给出了回应,这并不意味着我们在气候变化对人类的重要性上存在分歧。那么,我很乐意听听各位附议人的发言。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you, Dr. Hansen. I might say that we — (Applause) — although we may differ on some specifics, and I don't know — I am no expert on this subject whatsoever — I don't think you and I have any difference in the fact that it's important that climate change — you know, since it's something where there is a point of no return — if we are on the course that you think is certain and I think is probable, that it's a terribly important subject. But the motion that was put forth was relating to the insurance aspects of it, and we have discussed — believe me, we have thought and discussed insurance aspects, and I've, in effect, given a report in the — which was asked for by this — within the annual report. So it is really not — the issue before the shareholders is not how I feel about whether climate change is real, or whether a carbon tax is appropriate, it's whether it poses a risk to our insurance business. And I recognize the Bank of England — read that report — but we respectfully disagree with them in terms of — not in terms of the importance of climate change — but in terms of the risk to our insurance business. We don't — we are not forced — we don't write policies for a long period of time. We're not forced to write a policy on anything, so we are — our judgment is made as propositions are presented to us, usually as to whether, for one year, we are willing to accept a given risk for a given price. And that — obviously, climate is enormously important in our activities, hurricanes being the most important, probably, although we also get involved in earthquakes — but that is what the proposal is about, and that — and we've given a response to that, and it does not mean that we differ on the importance of climate change to the human race. So with that, I would be delighted to hear from the various seconders.
吉姆·琼斯你好。我叫吉姆·琼斯,是伊利诺伊州立大学凯蒂保险学院的执行主任。我想基于与气候变化相关的三个隐性风险,表达我的担忧。第一个风险涉及保险公司投资化石燃料产生的搁浅资产。第二个是与气候变化相关的、更为隐蔽的风险。该风险与财产险、寿险和健康险业务线的长期负债有关。我清楚,不少聪明人士和专家看不到存在长期负债问题,但他们忽略了一个重要环节,那就是原保险公司无法撤回或重新定价整个业务组合——整个业务账目。卡特里娜飓风、丽塔飓风和威尔玛飓风之后,佛罗里达州开发了新的飓风模型,他们也试图据此获得所建议费率的批准。他们没有获批,于是许多保险公司开始撤离那个市场。十年后,大约 40% 表现不佳的业务仍留在那些保险公司的账上,而这种情况可能会在其他几个面临气候风险的州重演。对一家再保险公司来说,再保险业务对客户的价值在于长期业务关系。这一点之所以如此重要,是因为据我统计,你们有 156 家再保险客户已提交了气候变化信息披露,这些客户希望自己的再保险公司能保护其长期利益。如果不是这样,就可能存在一种关系违约风险——如果他们认定你们的再保险只是可以随意重新定价或撤回的一年期合同,这种风险就可能出现。而您将进入一个另类再保险市场不断扩张的竞争世界——仅去年一年,另类再保险规模就达到 720 亿美元,本季度早些时候,巨灾债券发行额更是创下了 22 亿美元的纪录。
JIM JONESHello. My name is Jim Jones. I'm the executive director of the Katie School of Insurance at Illinois State University. I would like to express my concerns, based on three hidden risks associated with climate change. The first relates to stranded assets of insurers investing in fossil fuels. The second is a more insidious risk related to climate change. This risk is associated with the long-term liabilities associated with property, life, and health lines of business. And I realize that a number of intelligent people and experts don't see a long-term liability, but they're missing one important part, is that primary insurers are not able to withdraw or reprice books — entire books of business. Following Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma, new hurricane models were developed in Florida, and they attempted to get the recommended rate approvals for that. They were not allowed to, and so many insurers began to withdraw from that market. Ten years later, that — about 40 percent of the underperforming business is still on the books of those insurers, and this could play out in several other states that are exposed to climate risk. For a reinsurer, the value of reinsurance with their customers is a long-term business. The reason why this is so important is because, according to my count, 156 of your reinsurance customers have filed climate change disclosures, and these customers are looking for long-term interest being protected by their reinsurer. And if not, there's a potential for a relationship default risk that could occur if they perceived your reinsurance as just being one-year contracts that can be repriced or withdrawn. And you enter into that world of the expanding market competition of alternative reinsurance, which just last year was $72 billion, and earlier this quarter, we set a record of $2.2 billion in cap bonds.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢。我——我想指出的是,据我所知,从来没有人要求我们来承保长期合同。我们的原保险公司知道,我们是以一年期的视角来看业务,我们不会承保我们认为存在重大负面概率的业务。他们也不指望我们那样做。这已经远不像过去那样是一种关系型业务,现在更是一种交易型业务。但——我们不会承保——如果因为某个客户想让我们做蠢事而失去这个客户,那就失去好了,在这个行业里——我不是替其他再保险公司说话,但在我们这,而且我相信对大多数其他再保险公司也是这样,他们不会只是为了维持关系,就去做他们认为对自己极为不利的事情。那其实已经不叫关系,而是一种变相补贴了。所以,坦白说,我一点不认为这对伯克希尔会构成任何负面后果。我们——就卡特里娜飓风之后发生的情况而言——费率涨上去了,而且事实上,佛罗里达州在此期间的飓风经历,比 1850 年以来我们有记录的任何时期都要好。顺便说一句,这大出我们意料。但在那段时期,我们没有在佛罗里达州承保巨灾业务,因为我们当时认为费率不够。费率其实是够的,只是我们判断错了。所以——而且顺便说一句,这并不会——我们放弃了佛罗里达州那些我们认为定价不当的巨灾业务,这一事实并不会损害我们的生意。这行的确更偏交易型了——或许再保险行业曾有过关系至上的时期,但随着这么多参与者涌入,现在已经是非常交易化的业务了。没人指望你去做极其愚蠢的事情。你知道,如果有人这么指望,那这本身就是一种错误的关系。不过,我很乐意听下一位发言者。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you. The — I would point out that we have not been asked, ever, to my knowledge, to write long-term contracts. Our primary insurers know that we look at it one year at a time, and we will not write business that we think has a major negative probability. They don't expect us to. It's way less a relational business than in the past. It's much more a transactional business. But it — we will not write — if we lose a customer because they want us to do something stupid, we lose the customer, and there is not a — in our business — I'm not speaking for other reinsurers, but in our business, and I believe with most other reinsurers, they are not going to do something that they think is terribly disadvantageous to them just to maintain a relationship. That's not really a relationship. It'd be a subsidy. So I do — that does not strike me, frankly, as a factor at all of any negative consequence at Berkshire. We — in terms of what happened after Katrina — rates went up, and actually it — the hurricane experience in Florida has been better than any period since before 1850 that we have any records on. That's been a surprise to us, incidentally. But we have not written business — catastrophe business — in Florida during that period, because we didn't think the rates were adequate. They were adequate, we just were wrong about it. So the — and incidentally, that does not — the fact that we walked away from cat business in Florida that we thought was mispriced — does not hurt us in the business. It's really a — it's much more of a transactional business in the — there may have been a time when relationships were very big in reinsurance, but with so many entrants in it, it is very much a transactional business. And no one expects you to do something that's very stupid. You know, if they do, it's the wrong kind of a relationship. But glad to hear the next speaker.
简·克利布你好,巴菲特先生。我叫简·克利布。我运营着一个名为“大胆内布拉斯加”的组织,我们曾是一个看似不可能的联盟的一员,合力击败了 Keystone XL 输油管道项目,以保护我们州的地下含水层和财产权。几年前我在尼尔森参议员家里见过您,我曾把您拉到一旁问,我们怎样才能让医改法案通过?您当时告诉了我两件事:您说,民调数据很重要,而且我们必须持续施加公众压力。对于气候变化和气候行动,我们也是同样的感受。耶鲁大学最近一项研究表明,连 47% 的保守派都相信气候变化,并希望看到企业和政府采取行动。而您对这项决议的回应让我颇为触动,因为其中有句话大意是,如果你住在低洼地区,大概应该考虑搬家。可是,与我们合作的、生活在沿海社区的原住民兄弟姐妹们,其中一个部落如今已成了美国首批气候难民。他们没有搬家的选择,他们是被迫搬家的。所以我们来恳请您,也鞭策我们自己,继续施加公众压力,希望您和查理能站到我们这边。也许不是今年,也许也不是明年,但我们确实盼望着您能开展全面的气候风险分析,并从您持有的所有化石燃料中撤资。最后一点是,解决气候变化问题,既需要小而有力的力量,也需要大而强大的力量。所以,您在内华达州阻止小型太阳能项目,这条路是走错了。谢谢。(零星掌声)
JANE KLEEBHello, Mr. Buffett. My name is Jane Kleeb. I run a group called Bold Nebraska, which was part of an unlikely alliance who beat Keystone XL, to protect the aquifer in our state as well as property rights. And I met you several years at Senator Nelson's home, and I had pulled you aside and asked how could we get health care reform passed? And you told me two things: You said, the polling numbers matter, and that we have to keep on applying public pressure. And we feel the same way about climate change and climate action. The most recent Yale study said that even 47 percent of conservatives believe in climate change and want to start seeing corporate and government action. And your response to this resolution struck me, because one of the sentences said that if you live in a low-lying area, you should probably move. Well, we work with Native brothers and sisters who live in coastal communities, and one of those tribes is now the first United States climate refugees. They didn't have the option to move. They were forced to move. And so we're turning to you and we're turning to ourselves to continue to apply public pressure and hope that both you and Charlie stand with us. And maybe it's not this year, and maybe it's not the year after, but we really look forward to you doing full climate risk analysis, as well as divesting from all the fossil fuels that you own. And lastly, it takes both small and mighty, as well as big and powerful, to solve this problem of climate change. So you blocking small solar in Nevada is the wrong road to go down. Thank you. (Scattered applause)
沃伦·巴菲特我认为你会有合理的时间去搬家,但我要说的是,如果你在低洼地带做一笔为期 50 年的投资,那很可能是个错误。我原话是——作为低洼地区的业主——你可能希望考虑搬家。我要说的是,如果你预计还会在那里住十年左右,我个人觉得不必考虑搬家。但如果我认为自己是在做一笔 100 年的投资,那我不会投。我认为这触及了问题的核心——我们有一份股东提案,问的是气候变化给保险部门带来哪些风险?我们没有否认气候变化是一个极其重要的议题。我们没有否认它的存在。但它不会损害我们的保险业务,而且与其他可能影响我们保险业务的因素相比,它无关紧要。这也是本次会议要讨论的事项。不过,我很乐意听下一位发言。
WARREN BUFFETTI think you'll have a reasonable time to move, but I would say, if you're making a 50-year investment in low-lying properties, it's probably a mistake. I actually said you may — as a homeowner in a low-lying area — you may wish to consider moving. And I would say that if you expect to be there for ten years or so, I don't think I would consider moving. But if I thought I was making a 100-year investment, I don't think I would make it. I think it gets to the question — we have a shareholder proposal that says, what are the risks to the insurance division from climate change? We're not denying climate change is an incredibly important subject. We're not denying its existence. But it will not hurt our insurance business, and it's immaterial compared to other things that could affect our insurance business. And, you know, that is the issue before the meeting. But I'll be glad to hear from the next speaker.
现场股东下午好,巴菲特先生。我叫凯·哈恩(音)。我当股东超过十年了,可以说这基本就是我投资生涯的全部。今天有人说你比大众看得远。关于这份提案,你说伯克希尔的保险业务会在下次保单续期时直接提高费率,这说得通。但你也同意气候变化对我们的星球是个大问题。我想说,如果在气候变化问题上政治行动继续按目前的速度推进,那气候变化对全球金融市场的稳定性就是个重大问题。我个人同意汉森博士的看法,碳排放费是解决这个问题的办法。我想知道,你认为解决这个问题的办法是什么?伯克希尔旗下公司——不光是保险——在今后一二十年会不会受到这个问题的影响?
AUDIENCE MEMBERGood afternoon, Mr. Buffett. My name is Kay Harn (PH). I've been a shareholder for more than a decade, basically my investing life. Today someone said that you think ahead of the crowd. With regards to this resolution, you're saying that the Berkshire insurance business will just raise rates the next time the policy is renewed, and that makes sense. But you agree that climate change poses a major problem for our planet. I would say that climate change poses a major problem for the stability of our global financial markets, if the political action continues at its current pace with regards to this issue. I personally agree with Dr. Hansen, that a carbon fee is the solution to address this issue. I'm wondering if you can tell us what you think the solution to address this issue is, and whether you think the Berkshire businesses, more broadly than just insurance, will be impacted by this issue in the next decade or two.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。我怀疑它是否会在未来一二十年里造成影响。但我完全不会跟你争辩说,它很可能——当然不是确定——除非设计出各种技术来减排,比如碳封存之类的不同方法——很多人会在这方面下功夫——或者除非温室气体排放大幅减少——否则这对人类文明来说是一个极其重要的问题。历史上也有过其他情况——我是说,肯定会有一些非常聪明的人想办法以某种方式改变这种平衡,要么通过减少向大气排放,要么通过各种可能减轻影响的技术,但这里没有人会否认这问题很重要。我认为它不会——我认为它不会在未来一二十年里对气候或保险业务产生严重影响。不过,就像我在报告里指出的那样,如果你面对的是一个存在某个临界点的情况——一旦过了那个不可逆转的点,那行动时机就不是离不可逆转点还有十分钟的时候。所以,我们已经在可再生能源等方面非常坚定地支持了一些政策,但我也认为,科学界内可能会出现一些解决方案,这些方案超出了我有限的物理知识所能想象的范围,但外面有一大群人比我聪明得多。而且我认为,如果这些方案未能实现,一个根本问题在于这是一个全球性问题,需要重要国家之间的合作,我觉得奥巴马总统在与其他国家领导人合作方面已经开了个好头。但这个问题不可能单靠美国解决,你比我更清楚这一点。我很乐意听听下一位发言人的看法。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah. I would doubt if it's affected in the next decade or two. But I won't argue with you at all that it's likely, not certain, that — unless various techniques are designed for reducing — well, for sequestration, different things of that sort — that plenty of people will be working on — or unless the emissions greenhouse — gas emissions — are reduced significantly — that it's a terribly important problem for civilization. And there have been other — I mean, there's certainly going to be some very smart people working on ways to change the balance in some way, either through less being released in the atmosphere or by various techniques that might diminish the impact, but no one here will deny that it's important. I don't think it will impact — I don't think it will impact, in a serious way, the climate — or insurance, for that matter — in the next decade or two. But, as I pointed out in the report, if you're dealing with something where there's a point of — where you pass a point of no return, the time to do something isn't when we get ten minutes away from the point of no return. So there are policies, which we've subscribed to very strongly, in terms of renewables and that sort of thing, but I think there's also possibilities that within the scientific community, there will be solutions that are beyond my limited knowledge of physics to conjure up myself, but there are a whole lot of people out there that are a lot smarter. And I think that a basic problem on the reduction — if those things don't come to pass — is the fact that it's a planetary problem, and it requires cooperation by very important countries, and I think President Obama has made a good start in working with leaders of other countries. But it can't be solved by the United States alone, as you know better than I. I'd be glad to hear from the next speaker.
现场股东你好。我叫南希·迈耶(音)。我和丈夫当了 15 年的股东。我们对伯克希尔·哈撒韦很有信心,所以才会投资。我在这里只是想说,作为股东,我想请我的股东伙伴们考虑气候变化的经济成本,并敦促伯克希尔·哈撒韦采纳这份提案,在保险行业展现领导力。谢谢。
AUDIENCE MEMBERHello. My name is Nancy Meyer (PH), and I've been a shareholder for 15 years with my husband. We have great faith in Berkshire Hathaway. That's why we invested. So I'm just here to say that, as a shareholder, I'd like to ask my fellow shareholders to consider the economic costs of climate change and urge Berkshire Hathaway to adopt this resolution to show leadership in the insurance industry. Thank you.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢。我很感激你一直是我们的股东,但我确实认为出于某些原因——我不认为这份提案——我认为这份提案在某种意义上不适用于我们的保险业务。我是说,保险——全球气候对我们保险业务不是风险。随着时间的推移,它可能对地球是风险,但那是另一回事。我们可以通过各种决议说,显然核扩散是对地球的威胁,然后你可以说,那它也是伯克希尔的威胁。但就伯克希尔特定而言,你可以读一读那份提案,就像我说的,我们的回答是,我和阿吉特·贾恩——他大概是我认识的保险业里最聪明的人——讨论过,我 99% 的净资产都在伯克希尔,而这笔钱最终都将捐给慈善机构,我可不想看着它消失。我把自己视为伯克希尔的首席风险官,我担心那些可能损害伯克希尔的事情,我没有看到气候变化对我们的保险部门构成威胁。不过,谢谢。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you. I appreciate the fact you've been a shareholder, but I do think for reasons that — I don't really think that the resolution — I think the resolution is, in a sense, inapplicable to our insurance business. I mean, insurance — global climate is not a risk to our insurance business. It may be a risk to the planet over time, but that's a different thing. I mean, you can — we can adopt all kinds of resolutions about saying that, obviously, nuclear proliferation is a threat to the planet, and you can say, well then, it's a threat to Berkshire. But in terms of being Berkshire-specific, you know, you can read the resolution and, like I say, our answer, with Ajit Jain, probably the smartest person I know in insurance, and I have 99 percent of my net worth in Berkshire that's all destined to go to philanthropic institutions, and I'm not eager to see that disappear, and I do regard myself as the chief risk officer of Berkshire, and I worry about things that can hurt Berkshire, and I do not see it in our insurance division, in relation to climate change. But, thank you.
理查德·米勒下午好,巴菲特先生。我是理查德·米勒,在奥马哈的克雷顿神学院工作。我研究和教授气候变化及其社会影响。我只是想让你意识到,伯克希尔是在一个更大的经济体系中运作的,而尼古拉斯·斯特恩给出的最重要的气候分析——经济分析——表明,在我们目前的道路上前进,到本世纪末,全球 GDP 可能会出现 30% 的损失。另一个问题是,当我们谈论对气候变化采取行动时,采取行动意味着为了避免海平面大幅上升,我们需要从今天开始,每年在全球范围内减排 7%。在有史以来唯一一次我们能够实现减排、同时经济仍在增长的十年期里,也就是 1990 年代的英国,我们每年只减排了 1%。所以说,我们谈论的与奥巴马总统的渐进式举措完全不同。我们需要做点什么——不,我们需要立刻进行大规模转型。而鉴于你庞大的全球持股,你是这方面全球范围内的重要人物,不仅仅是针对这份特定的股东提案。谢谢你的时间。
RICHARD MILLERGood afternoon, Mr. Buffett. I am Richard Miller, in the Creighton Theology Department, here in Omaha. And I study and teach climate change and its social effects. I just wanted to make you aware that Berkshire is operating within a larger economy, and that the most important climate analysis — economic analysis — from Nicholas Stern, indicates that on our current path, by the end of this century, 30 percent loss in global GDP is possible. The other issue is, when we talk about doing something about climate change, doing something means to avoid major sea level rise, we need to reduce emissions globally, starting today, 7 percent per year. The only time we've ever reduced emissions, over a ten-year period, in a growing economy, was in the 1990s in England, and we reduced them 1 percent per year. So we're talking about a completely different thing than President Obama's gradual move. And we need to do something — no, we need to do massive transformation — immediately. And with your large global holdings, you are a world significant figure on this, not just about this particular shareholder resolution. Thank you for your time.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢。这是——全部发言者都讲完了吗?
WARREN BUFFETTThank you. Is that the — complete the speakers?
现场人士再说一遍?
AUDIENCE MEMBERSay that again?
沃伦·巴菲特你是最后一个发言者?
WARREN BUFFETTAre you the final speaker?
现场人士是的,我想所有发言者都讲完了。
AUDIENCE MEMBERYes, I think those are all the speakers.
沃伦·巴菲特好的。那好,谢谢。查理,你有什么想说的吗?
WARREN BUFFETTOK. Well, thank you. Charlie, do you have anything you want to say?
查理·芒格嗯,有的。我们在奥马哈,这里海拔远高于海平面。在我们的保险公司中,我们在这方面没有重大的经济利益。我们不像很多年前那样大量承保那种巨灾保险了。所以,有人要求我们,作为一家公司,对非常复杂的问题采取公开立场。城市里有犯罪问题。我们有 100——我们有 1000 个——对文明至关重要的复杂问题。如果我们在股东大会上花时间对所有这些都采取公开立场,我认为那会适得其反。而且我不喜欢的一点是,持续提出这个问题的那些人,除了减少化石燃料消耗之外,从不讨论任何解决方案。还有一些地球工程的可能性,却没人愿意谈论,我认为这很愚蠢,所以把我算作不欢迎的人。(掌声)
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, yes. We're in Omaha, which is considerably above sea level. We have no big economic interest in this subject in our insurance companies. We don't write much of that catastrophic insurance we used to write many years ago. So we're asked, as a corporation, to take a public stance on very complicated issues. We've got crime in the cities. We've got 100 — we've got 1,000 — complicated issues that are very material to our civilization. And if we spend our time in the meeting taking public stands on all of them, I think it would be quite counterproductive. And I don't like the fact that the people that constantly present this issue never discuss any solution, except reducing consumption of fossil fuels. So there are geo-engineering possibilities that nobody's willing to talk about, and I think that's asinine, so put me down as not welcoming. (Applause)
沃伦·巴菲特我们不想搞成政治集会。现在可以就这项动议进行表决了。如果有股东亲自投票,他们现在应该在动议上标注选票,并将选票提交给过道上的会议工作人员。阿米克女士,你准备好后,可以开始做报告。
WARREN BUFFETTWe don't want to have a political rally. The motion is now ready to be acted upon. If there are any shareholders voting in person, they should now mark their ballots on the motion and deliver their ballot to one of the meeting officials in the aisles. Ms. Amick, when you are ready, you may give your report.
贝基·阿米克我的报告准备好了。根据上周四晚上之前收到的委托书,委托投票人的投票结果是:对该动议投赞成票 69,114 票,反对票 531,724 票。由于反对票数超过了所有 A 类股和 B 类股就该事项正确投出的票数的多数,也超过了所有流通股总数,该动议未获通过。经特拉华州法律要求的精确计票证明将提交给秘书,并附入本次会议记录。
BECKI AMICKMy report is ready. The ballot of the proxy holders, in response to proxies that were received through last Thursday evening, cast 69,114 votes for the motion and 531,724 votes against the motion. As the number of votes against the motion exceeds a majority of the number of votes of all Class A and Class B shares properly cast on the matter, as well as all votes outstanding, the motion has failed. The certification required by Delaware law of the precise count of the votes will be given to the secretary to be placed with the minutes of this meeting.
沃伦·巴菲特谢谢你,阿米克女士。该提案未获通过。
WARREN BUFFETTThank you, Ms. Amick. The proposal fails.
休会
Adjournment
沃伦·巴菲特在我们休会之前,有人对我们的审计公司有疑问吗?如果没有,我请斯科特先生在会议上提出一项动议。
WARREN BUFFETTDoes anyone have any questions for our audit firm before we adjourn? If not, I recognize Mr. Scott to place a motion before the meeting.
沃尔特·斯科特我提议本次会议休会。
WALTER SCOTTI move this meeting be adjourned.
沃伦·巴菲特奥尔森先生?
WARREN BUFFETTMr. Olson?
罗恩·奥尔森我附议。
RON OLSONAnd I second it.
沃伦·巴菲特休会动议已经提出并获附议。我们将进行口头表决。有需要讨论的吗?如果没有,所有赞成的请说“赞成”。所有反对的请说“反对”。
WARREN BUFFETTMotion to adjourn has been made and seconded. We will vote by voice. Is there any discussion? If not, all in favor say, "Aye." All opposed say, "No."