1994 年股东大会 · 下午场
对健力士投资不予置评
No comment on Guinness investment
沃伦·巴菲特现在轮到第二区。嗯,我不知道第二区在哪儿,不过我们会——(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2 now. Well, I don't know where zone 2 is, but we'll — (laughs)
现场股东单就公司本身而言,您现在对健力士的投资,感受和当初投资时基本一样吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERDo you feel basically the same about your investment in Guinness now as when you made the investment, in terms of the company?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我不想对我们持有的任何标的发表评论,比如我们如何评价它们的吸引力之类的。我是说,无论是可口可乐、吉列,还是别的什么——我们在特定时点、以特定价格做出了决策,这些你通过查看我们的买入记录就能推算出来。但就在我们说话的这一刻,我们可能正在买入或卖出这些证券中的任何一只。我们只是觉得,谈论我们可能正在买入或卖出的东西,并不符合伯克希尔全体股东的利益。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I wouldn't like to comment on anything that we own, in terms of how we rate them as desirability or anything. I mean, whether it’s Coke or Gillette or anything that — we made decisions at a given time, at a given price, which you can figure out by looking at our purchases. But we may be buying or selling any of those securities right as we talk. And we simply don't think it's in the interest of Berkshire shareholders as a group to be talking about things that we could be buying or selling.
《世界图书》销量下滑:“真希望我知道答案”
World Book's sales slide: "I wish I knew the answer"
沃伦·巴菲特可以吗?
WARREN BUFFETTOK?
现场股东你好,我是戴维·温特斯,来自新泽西州山湖市。我想问一下,《世界图书》最近日子不太好过,你们有没有采取什么措施来改善局面?另外,《布法罗新闻》表现一直非常出色,我有点好奇,是什么在驱动《布法罗新闻》?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHi, David Winters, from Mountain Lakes, New Jersey. Just wondering, World Book’s had a tough time lately, and I'm wondering if there's things you're doing to try to improve that. And also, The Buffalo News has been fabulous. And I'm kind of wondering what's driving The Buffalo News?
沃伦·巴菲特《布法罗新闻》怎么样了?
WARREN BUFFETTBuffalo News is doing what?
现场股东非常出色。
AUDIENCE MEMBERFabulously.
沃伦·巴菲特对,它确实做得不错,没错。嗯,我得说功劳要归于斯坦·利普西——我不确定斯坦今天在不在场——他一直负责经营《布法罗新闻》。至于《世界图书》,按销售册数来说——我们在年报里也写了——过去几年下滑得很厉害。从某种意义上说,利润能维持得这么好,其实挺让人惊讶的,因为他们在这一块做得不错,非常不错。就像我们在年报里写的,我们并不确切知道答案。拉尔夫·谢伊——已经采取了一些措施,正在采取一些措施,他认为这些措施能改善经营。拉尔夫作为管理者的成绩,绝对排在顶尖之列。我是说,我在 1992 年的年报里写过。到了 1993 年,拉尔夫做得更出色了。我是说,那真是——漂亮。我想,可能大概实现了 1.1 亿美元左右的税前利润,而平均股东权益只有 9000 多万美元,大概是这样。所以这是一份相当出色的成绩单。但你可能也知道,《大英百科全书》去年是亏损的。百科全书这门生意一直很——很不景气。可能是电子化竞争造成的,也可能是销售人员的招聘遇到了问题。显然,也可能是多种因素共同作用的结果。如果我们知道答案,那你们现在就看不到这些数字了。但这的确是拉尔夫重点关注的事项。他对任何表现不如从前的业务都极为上心。我们且看后续如何。但我对此不做预测。真希望我知道答案。我看不出有什么变量,能以任何明智的方式告诉你——关于这一点,我们在年报里已经做了最充分的阐述。利润情况,就像我说的,一直还不错。但很明显,除非我们提升销量,否则当前这种新销售下滑的趋势,迟早会追上我们。就纸质百科全书而言,我不认为我们的市场份额下降了。但我不能完全肯定,不过我想这大概接近事实。但市面上有太多百科全书,是作为电脑销售的捆绑产品卖出去的。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, it's doing well, right. Well, I would say you got to give credit Stan Lipsey — I'm not sure whether Stan's here right now, but — who's been running the News. World Book, in terms of unit sales — as we put in the report — have fallen off significantly the last few years. It's actually surprising, in a sense, how well the profits have held up because they've done a good job, a very good job, in that respect. And as we put in the report, we don't know the answer, precisely. We are, Ralph Schey is — has taken some actions — is taking some actions — that he thinks will improve the operations. Ralph's record as a manager is absolutely at the top of the list. I mean, it — I wrote about it in the 1992 report. In 1993, Ralph did even better. I mean, it was a — fabulous. I think, probably, may have been 110 or so million pre-tax on 90-some million of average equity capital, or something of the sort. So it's a fabulous record. But Encyclopedia Britannica, as you probably know, ran at a loss last year. The encyclopedia business has been very — has been poor. Could be due to electronic competition, could be due to recruiting problems for salespeople. Obviously, it can be a combination of many factors. If we knew the answer, we'd have — you wouldn't be seeing those figures right now. But it is a top item of attention for Ralph. He takes anything that's not performing as well as before very seriously. And we will see what happens. But I don't have a prediction on it. I wish I knew the answer. I don't see any variables to, in any intelligent way, tell you or — we put in the report the best we could do on that. The profitability has, like I say, has been pretty good. But obviously, current trends of new sales will catch up with us at some point, unless we boost unit sales. I don't think our market share, if you look at print encyclopedias, has fallen. But I can't be sure of that, but I think that's probably true. But there are an awful lot of encyclopedias going out there as part of a bundled product with computer sales.
拆分伯克希尔没什么用
Breaking up Berkshire wouldn't help
沃伦·巴菲特我们接下来怎么弄,有安排吗?
WARREN BUFFETTHow are we going to do this, is there?
现场声音我们现在有三个了。
VOICEWe got three now.
沃伦·巴菲特好,我让你把话筒递给任意一位,你——
WARREN BUFFETTOK, I'll let you hand the mic to whomever, you —
现场声音(听不清)三个。
VOICE(Inaudible) three.
现场股东还是我,李,来自帕洛阿尔托。按奥马哈的标准,您还算相对年轻。每年您都指出,伯克希尔现在的规模,已经不允许您再做那些成就您名声的、规模相对较小的出色交易了。拆分伯克希尔,让它变成更小的实体,您考虑过多少?
AUDIENCE MEMBERLee again, from Palo Alto. By Omaha standards you are a relatively young man. And every year, you point out that Berkshire’s size now precludes you from making the great, relatively small trades which made your reputation. How much thought have you given to breaking up Berkshire into smaller entities?
沃伦·巴菲特考虑过什么?
WARREN BUFFETTHow much what?
现场股东您考虑过把伯克希尔拆分成更小的实体吗,这样您就能做那些您早年做过的、漂亮的小额好交易了?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHow much thought have you given into breaking up Berkshire into smaller entities, which would allow you to make those nice, small, wonderful trades that you made from the beginning?
沃伦·巴菲特拆分成更小的实体没什么用,因为我还是会拥有,你知道,我们还是得负责超过 100 亿美元的资金,不管它在哪里。所以——我们可以把它分给股东,让他们自己做决定,显然。任何时候我们认为留存的每一美元创造不了一美元以上的价值,那显然就该这么做。但弄出几个小公司没什么神奇的——我是说,我们可以叫它伯克希尔二号、伯克希尔三号、伯克希尔四号,但问题还在。有 100 亿美元要投资,这根本解决不了什么问题。查理,你有什么想法吗?
WARREN BUFFETTIt wouldn't do any good to break into smaller entities, because I'd still own, you know, we'd still have 10 billion-plus of capital to be responsible for, wherever it would be. So, the — we could distribute it out to the shareholders, and let them make their own decisions, obviously. And any time we thought that we weren't going to get more than a dollar of value per dollar retained, that, obviously, would be the course to follow. But there's no magic to creating multiple little — I mean, we could call Berkshire Two, Berkshire Three, Berkshire Four, but you still got the problem. There's $10 billion to invest, and it doesn't really solve anything. Charlie, do you have any thoughts on that?
查理·芒格没有。——伯克希尔已经是极其去中心化了,在权力和决策权下放给运营部门这个意义上来说。但在有价证券方面,它又是极其中心化的。到目前为止,我们没有因为没法做年轻时能做的事而付出什么大的代价。最终我们会付出代价的。
CHARLIE MUNGERNo, the — Berkshire is incredibly decentralized, in the — in terms of power and decisions resting in the operating divisions. In terms of the marketable securities, it's incredibly centralized. And so far, we have not had any big penalty from not being able to do the things that we did when we were young. Eventually we will reach the penalty.
沃伦·巴菲特对,我觉得——毫无疑问,拿 10 万美元我们能赚到更高的百分比回报,比拿 100 亿美元高。但是,对——随着规模变大,它造成的伤害没有我们想的那么大。但你的机会范围在缩小。不过不管怎么说它都会缩小——我是说,你可以把钱分成 20 个银行账户或一个银行账户,但你的机会范围还是得跟这 100 亿美元的总量相匹配。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, I think we’re — there's no question we could earn higher percentage returns working with $100,000, though, than $10 billion. But, yeah — but it hasn't hurt us as much as we thought it would, as size has increased. But your universe of opportunity shrinks. But it shrinks no matter — I mean, you can set it up in 20 bank accounts or one bank account, but you still — the universe still has to fit the 10 billion, in aggregate.
通用动力管理层干得“绝对出色”
"Absolutely sensational job" by General Dynamics management
沃伦·巴菲特好了,我们现在怎么进行?那边还有别的区吗?好的。
WARREN BUFFETTNow, how are we doing this? Do we have another zone over there? Yeah.
现场股东迈克尔·布尼亚内,纽约市。两个问题。第一,去年您在年报里谈到了您对通用动力的投资。您还把自己的投票权委托给了公司和它的管理层。今年,您好像卖掉了这只股票。
AUDIENCE MEMBERMichael Bunyaner (PH), New York City. Two questions. One, last year you discussed in your annual report your investment in General Dynamics. And you also gave your proxy to the company and its management. This year, it appears you have sold the stock.
沃伦·巴菲特今年怎么了?
WARREN BUFFETTThis year, what?
现场股东今年,您好像卖掉了通用动力的股票。是什么改变了,让您卖掉了 20% 的持股?这是第一个问题,我还有第二个。
AUDIENCE MEMBERThis year, it appears that you have sold the stock in General Dynamics. What has changed that you sold 20 percent of your stake? This is question number one, and I have number two.
沃伦·巴菲特谈论我们在买什么或卖什么可能不太合适,除非我们必须发布公开声明——像通用动力这种情况,如果我们持仓变动超过 5%,就有 13G 的申报要求。另外——只要我们还持有 10% 以上的股份——我们每个月还有 Form 4 的申报要求。我们认为通用动力的管理层干得绝对出色。当然,很明显,这本质上不是那种我们会有 20 年长期视野的业务,或者类似的东西。所以——通用动力的股东得到了该公司管理层的极其良好的服务。我们也很感激,因为我们也因此获益。
WARREN BUFFETTProbably inappropriate to be talking about what we're buying or selling, except to the extent that we make a public — have to make a public announcement, which, on something like General Dynamics, we've got 13G requirements if we change by more than 5 percent. And we also have — as long as we own more than 10 percent — we have monthly reporting requirements under Form 4. We think the management of General Dynamics has done an absolutely sensational job. Obviously, also it isn't the kind of business, basically, that we have a 20-year view on, or something of the sort. So, it’s — the shareholders of General Dynamics have been extraordinarily well-served by the management of that company. And we’ve — we're thankful, because we prospered accordingly.
现场股东但从您的评论中,我是不是该理解为,您对业务本身的看法改变了?
AUDIENCE MEMBERBut should I take from this comment that you have changed your view about the business itself?
沃伦·巴菲特什么?
WARREN BUFFETTPardon me?
现场股东从您的评论中,我是不是该理解为,您对业务本身的看法改变了?
AUDIENCE MEMBERShould I take from your comment that you have changed your view about the business itself?
沃伦·巴菲特不,不。我觉得你应该把我的评论理解成我说的那些话。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTNo, no. I think you take my comments as saying just what I’ve said. (Laughs)
现场股东好的。(笑声)第二个问题,您能告诉我——
AUDIENCE MEMBEROK. (Laughter) Question number two, could you tell me —
沃伦·巴菲特我觉得我们想给现场在座的股东们机会,然后,在你所在的那个区域,等第二个问题出来的时候,也没问题。但我们想在这一个小时里尽可能让更多人提问,因为这才是核心群体。
WARREN BUFFETTI think we want to give people a chance around the room, and then when, in the zone you're in, when a second question comes along, it will be fine. But we want to get as many people in this hour as we can, because this is the hard core here.
不鼓励短期股东
No encouragement for short-term stockholders
沃伦·巴菲特第一区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 1?
现场股东在我看来,1993 年股价的最高价和最低价之间的波动幅度,比过去几年大得多。您能评论一下吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERIt appeared to me that in 1993 the variation between the stock price for the high and the low was much greater than years in the past. Would you mind commenting on that?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,去年伯克希尔的股价确实波动更大。正如我在年报里所说,去年股价的表现超过了企业本身的经营表现。不过,回顾过去任何一段 10 年、20 年或 30 年的历史,每年股价的表现,至少都会与企业经营表现有一些差异。也就是说,可能略微跑输,也可能略微跑赢。我们更希望这种偏差尽可能小一些。但去年的波动幅度确实比历史上大部分年份都大。虽然我们也有过一两年——有过那么几年类似的情况。我们应对这一问题最好的办法,就是把所有能提供的信息都提供给股东和潜在股东,并遵循我们认为能吸引那些着眼长期、以投资为导向的股东加入我们的政策,同时不去鼓励其他人。但是,偶尔——你知道,我们没法保证一定达到这个结果。有一件事让我觉得挺有意思,我不记得是三个月前还是什么时候,我碰巧和纽交所的专家——一位非常出色的专家,吉米·麦奎尔——聊了聊。他刚才还在现场,但不得不先走了。我记得当时股价大约在 16,000 美元左右。他账上挂着一些规模相当大的止损单,设在 15,500 美元上下,涉及几百股。在我看来,这是一个信号,说明我们有些股东——在我看来——并不是我们真正想吸引的那种所有者。因为为什么有人要在 15,500 美元设卖单,而明明可以在 16,000 美元卖出,这我实在想不通,不过——(笑声)在伯克希尔上用止损单,显而易见——它告诉我,我们有些人是把它当成了某种交易工具,或者脑子里装的完全是些非投资类的算盘。我不认为这样的人很多。但很明显,如果这样的人足够多,股价的波动就会比由一群打算持有一辈子的人持有时更大。当时股价确实跌了,跌到了 15,500 美元。那一笔——我记得差不多是 300 股,也就是价值 450 万美元的股票。显然,有人——或者极少数人——做出了决定,要以 15,500 美元卖出本来可以在 16,000 美元卖出的东西。价格越低,他们显然越喜欢卖。我是说,他们越喜欢那个成交价。(笑声)这总让我觉得匪夷所思,就好比你有一栋喜欢的房子,自己正住着,你知道它值 10 万美元,然后你告诉经纪人,如果有人出 9 万,你就想卖掉。我是说,这根本就——(笑声)——说不通嘛。但我得说,确实出现了一种微小的——我认为相对微小的——倾向,就是有些人——人数相对很少——开始比以前更关注股价,琢磨它在未来六个月是涨还是跌。我认为我们在这方面已经算是极为幸运的了,因为我们的股东基本上都是想长期持有的。但就你招来那些因为觉得股市要涨、或诸如此类的原因而持有的人而言,从我们的立场来看,这绝不是好消息,而且会加剧股价的波动。我们绝不会做任何事去鼓励这种行为。
<<<END P 5>>>
WARREN BUFFETTWell, there was more volatility in the price of Berkshire last year. And as I put in the annual report, the stock overperformed the business last year. Now, over any 10 or 20 or 30-year history, every year the stock is going to perform a little differently, at least, from the business. I mean, it may slightly underperform, or slightly overperform. We would prefer that those variations be as small as possible. But there was more variability last year than historically's been the case. Although we've had one or two other — we had a few years like that. We — Our best way to handle that is to give all the information we can to shareholders and prospective shareholders, and follow policies that we think will induce the investment-oriented with long time horizons to join us, and not to encourage other people. But, occasionally — you know, we can't guarantee that result. One of the things that was interesting to me, I don't know whether it was three months ago or when, but I happened to be talking to the [NYSE] specialist, terrific specialist, Jimmy Maguire. He had to leave, but he was here earlier in the session. And I think, at the time, the stock was around 16,000 or something like that. And he had some rather significant stop-loss orders on the books at 15-5, or thereabouts, involving some hundreds of shares. And that to me is a signal that, you know, we have some people that are — in my view — are not really the kind of owners that we would like to attract. Because why somebody wants to put in an order to sell something for 15,500 that they don't want to sell at 16,000 is beyond me, but — (Laughter) The idea of people using stop-loss orders with Berkshire, obviously — it tells me that we've got some people in that are using it as trading vehicle of some sort, or have some totally non-investment-type calculations in their mind. I don't think we have very many of them. But obviously, if we have enough people like that, you will have a more volatile stock than if you have a whole bunch of people who look at it as something that they're going to hold for the rest of their life. And the stock did go down at that time and hit 15,500. And there were — that — I think it was close to 300 shares, which is 4 1/2 million dollars' worth of stock. And somebody made a decision, apparently, that they — or some small number of people — made a decision that they wanted to sell something at 15,500 that they could have sold for 16,000. The lower it went, the better they liked it, apparently. I mean, the better they liked the sale. (Laughter) Which, you know, has always struck me as like having a house that you like, and you're living in, and, you know, it's worth $100,000 and you tell your broker, you know, if anybody ever comes along and offers 90, you want to sell it. I mean, it doesn't — (laughter) — make any sense to me. But it has — I would say that there's been some small — I think, relatively small — tendency for people to get — relatively few people — but to get more interested in the price of the stock in terms of — and thinking of it in terms of whether it's going to go up or down in the next six months, than might formerly have been the case. I think we're unusually well-blessed in that respect, in that we've got people who basically want to own it for a very long time. But to the extent that you get people who were owning it because they think the stock market's going to go up, or something of that sort's going to happen, that is not good news from our standpoint, and it will increase the volatility in it. We will do nothing to encourage that.
股市下跌对伯克希尔有利
Berkshire benefits when the stock market falls
沃伦·巴菲特2 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2?
现场股东是的,巴菲特先生,我是多伦多的史蒂夫·朗。我有点好奇,您之前说对股东来说最好的事之一就是——市场下跌,您能以愚蠢的价格买入好生意。然后过一会儿,您又说我们可以通过您账户里任何时候持有的现金量来判断您做您认为该做的事的能力,而且——
AUDIENCE MEMBERYes, Mr. Buffett, Steve Lang (PH) from Toronto. I was just curious about when you were saying that one of the best things that could happen to shareholders is the — the market goes down and you're able to buy good businesses at foolish prices. And then a little on, you were saying that we could judge your ability to do what it is that you feel you should be doing by how much cash you have in the account at any given point in time, and —
沃伦·巴菲特通过什么?
WARREN BUFFETTBy what?
现场股东通过您账户里的现金量。换句话说,我想,您认为自己该做的事就是把现金投资到好生意里。所以我就有点疑惑这种矛盾了。如果您第一个能力成功了,市场真的下跌了,现金从哪来呢?来自业务经营产生的现金流和浮存金吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERBy the amount of cash that you have in the account. In other words, I guess, what you feel you're supposed to be doing is investing the cash in good businesses. So I'm just wondering about that kind of dichotomy. Where does the cash come from if the market does go down, if you've been successful in your first ability? Would that be from the cash flow on the operations of the business from the float?
沃伦·巴菲特对。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
现场股东那是——?
AUDIENCE MEMBERIs that —?
沃伦·巴菲特对。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
现场股东所以,公司的成功在某种程度上,其实是您能持续以定投的方式进入市场?是这样吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERSo really, the success of the company then is, to some degree, the fact that you're able to dollar-cost average into the market on an ongoing basis? Is that right?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,没那么精确。但第一,我们确实会产生大量现金,所以我们不会因为觉得市场要跌,就专门留着现金等着买。但显然,随着现金进来,我们一直在找事情做。市场整体越便宜,我们就越可能找到我们理解、我们喜欢并且价格有吸引力的东西,然后我们就动手。但这也不是说我们能随便掉转整个投资组合,因为那样没意义。我是说,我们会在低位卖出东西,再在低位买入东西。但就我们净现金流入而言——我们确实有,而且将来也会有——总的来说,你知道,我们是在用比平时更吸引人的价格加仓我们的生意。这也不是对任何一家公司的预测。我是说,不管是吉列还是可口可乐,或者别的什么。可能是我们已经持有的,也可能是我们没有的。但我们欢迎买入更多股票的机会。我们不是要咒谁。但如果你下个月问我们,伯克希尔在股市整体跌 50% 的情况下是更好还是现在这样更好,我们会说跌 50% 更好,不管我们现在手上有没有现金,因为我们总会产生现金去买东西。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, it isn't that precise. But A, we do generate cash in considerable amounts, so that we will not husband cash, simply because we think the market's going to go down, in order to buy something. But obviously, as cash comes in, we're always looking for things to do. And the cheaper that the market is generally, the more likely it is that we will find something that we understand and that we like, and that the price will be attractive, and that we will do it. But it isn't like we can change around the whole portfolio then, because that doesn't gain us anything. I mean, we'd be selling things at lower prices to buy things at lower prices. But to the extent that we have net cash coming in — which we do, and which we will have — on balance, we're, you know, we're adding to our businesses at more attractive prices than would be the other case. And it's no prediction on any given company. I mean, whether it's Gillette or Coke, or anything. It might be something we already own, it might be something we don't own. But we welcome the chance to buy more shares. We're not wishing it on anybody. But if you asked us next month whether Berkshire would be better off if the whole stock market were down 50 percent or where it is now, we would be better off if it was down 50 percent, whether we had any cash on hand now or not, because we would be generating cash to buy things.
所罗门的薪酬:“远非理想”
Salomon's compensation: "Far from ideal"
沃伦·巴菲特3 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 3?
现场股东拜伦·兰斯德尔,来自北卡罗来纳州罗利。感谢你们这个周末的盛情款待。
AUDIENCE MEMBERByron Ransdell (PH) from Raleigh, North Carolina. Thanks for your hospitality to this weekend.
沃伦·巴菲特我们也谢谢你来。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, we thank you for coming, too.
现场股东我的问题关于所罗门公司,更具体地说,是所罗门兄弟。我知道您从 1987 年到现在一直是董事会成员,对吗?我对那里的薪酬安排很感兴趣,您可能也在薪酬委员会里。1987 年到 1992 年间,所罗门的财务业绩起伏很大,但总体相当惨淡。在您看来,如果这段时间薪酬是合理的,所罗门能不能成为一家相当不错的生意?
AUDIENCE MEMBERMy question concerns Salomon, Inc., and more specifically, Salomon Brothers. I know that you were on the board of directors, I think, from '87 to the current time. Very much interested in compensation there, and maybe on the compensation committee. Between 1987 and 1992, Salomon's financial results were quite dismal in a very lumpy way, but overall, quite dismal. In your opinion, if the compensation had been rational during this time, would Salomon have shown results that would make it a quite decent business?
沃伦·巴菲特所罗门能不能——如果薪酬——
WARREN BUFFETTWould Salomon — if the compensation —
查理·芒格如果过去的薪酬——
CHARLIE MUNGERIf the past compensation —
沃伦·巴菲特——更合理——
WARREN BUFFETT— had been more rational —
查理·芒格——决策更合理,从 1987 年到现在,所罗门会做得更好吗?对,是这个意思吗?
CHARLIE MUNGER— decisions had been more rational, '87 to the current time, would Salomon have done better? Yeah, was that it?
现场股东是的,先生。
AUDIENCE MEMBERYes, sir.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我会——是的,我会说,如果现在的人员和薪酬理念——也就是允许在取得极大成果时支付极高的薪酬——我认为公司本可以做得更好,是的。你会看到华尔街支付十分庞大的数字。这就是它的特性。关键在于,只有当你为股东带来了极大成果时,才去支付这些钱。我是说,你要是按其他行业那样的数字来付钱,就不可能为股东创造很好的成果。但如果你支付这么庞大的数字,我认为你就应该为股东创造很好的成果。而以前的体系——我的意思是,它也不是完全离谱,但在我看来,远谈不上理想。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I would — yeah, I would say that, if the present people and the present compensation philosophy — which allows for very large payments for very large results — I think the company would have done better, yeah. It — you're going to see very big numbers paid in Wall Street. That's the nature of it. The trick is to pay them only when you're getting very big results for the owners. I mean, it — there's no way you're going to pay numbers that look like numbers in other industries, and get great results for owners. But if you pay these big numbers, I think you should be getting very good results for owners. And there — the old system was not — I mean, it wasn't totally off the mark on that. But it was far from an ideal system, in my view.
不太可能再就可口可乐卖出看跌期权
Unlikely to write put options on Coca-Cola again
沃伦·巴菲特1 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 1?
现场股东沃伦,我有一个问题。去年您通过卖出可口可乐看跌期权来增加收益,反过来,如果被行权,也算是增加您的持仓。对于您想增加配置的投资,您现在还会用看跌期权这种方式吗?(录音中断)
AUDIENCE MEMBERWarren, I have one question. Last year you were using Coca-Cola puts as a way to increase income, and conversely, if they were exercised, as a way of increasing your position. Do you still use puts in this type on investments you wish to add to? (BREAK IN RECORDING)
沃伦·巴菲特——我记得去年大概初秋的时候,卖出了 500 万股可口可乐的看跌期权——具体时间我记不清了。期权费我记得是 750 万美元左右,行权价在 35 美元左右。我们不太常做这种事,以后也不太可能大量去做。首先,看跌期权有持仓限额,这个限制不适用于我们,但适用于我们委托的券商。这些持仓限额之前不是很清晰。但如果我们通过多家不同的券商来做,或许仍能卖出同等规模的看跌期权。这真不是我们很可能去做的事。当时我很乐意做那笔交易,在那个具体案例里我们赚了 750 万美元。但更好的选择大概是——如果我们看好一项资产,好到愿意为它卖出看跌期权,那直接买入这些证券本身很可能更好,特别是我们没法做到对伯克希尔真正有意义的规模。有些证券我倒不介意卖出 1000 万股的看跌期权或类似规模,但我——那大概——我们做应该是允许的。但不允许——我们大概得通过多家券商才能完成。总体来说,我觉得花时间做这个,不如直接寻找可以买入的证券更有价值。查理,你有什么要说的吗?
WARREN BUFFETT— five million shares, as I remember, of Coke sometime in the early fall or thereby — I don't remember exactly — last year. And the puts, I think the premium was around 7 1/2 million dollars, and they were priced around 35. We have not done that very often, and we're unlikely to do very much of it. For one thing, there are position limits on puts, which don't apply to us, but they apply to the brokers for which we do them. And those position limits were not clear before that. But we could probably write puts on that same amount by doing it through a bunch of different brokers. It's not something we're really very likely to do. I was happy to do it, and in that particular case, we made 7 1/2 million dollars. But we're better off, probably — if we like something well enough to write a put on it, we're probably better off buying the security itself, and particularly since we can't do it in the kind of quantities that really would make it meaningful to Berkshire. There are securities I would not mind writing puts for 10 million shares or something, but I — that probably — it's probably allowable for us to do it. It's not allowed — we'd probably have to do it through multiple brokers to get the job done. And on balance, I don't think it's as useful a way to spend my time as just looking for securities to buy outright. Charlie, you have anything?
查理·芒格没有。
CHARLIE MUNGERNo.
不要相信关于我们买入或卖出的报道
Don't believe reports on what we're buying or selling
沃伦·巴菲特是 2 区吗?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2?
现场股东巴菲特先生,我来自西点军校,我叫罗杰斯。几个月前,《世界先驱报》有报道说伯克希尔·哈撒韦大量买入了菲利普·莫里斯和 UST 的股票。但在您的年报里,我完全没看到相关内容。您能评论一下吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERMr. Buffett, I'm from West Point. And my name is Rogers. A couple of months ago, there were stories in The World-Herald that Berkshire Hathaway had taken a large position in Philip Morris, and UST. But in your annual report, I don't see anything about that. Can you comment?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我得说,大概过去两年里——我只是大致估计——我可能在《华尔街日报》或《今日美国》上,也许是被美联社或《世界先驱报》转载的,总之是在一些有影响力的报纸上——我大概看到过报道,说我们买入了那段时间里总共可能有 10 家公司中的任何一家。我得说,其中绝大多数都是错的。我们不会去更正那些错误报道,因为如果我们去更正错误的,对正确的却不置一词,那实际上就等于也指认了正确的。所以我们永远不会对这些报道发表评论,不管它们有多荒谬。有趣的是,你知道,这些报道还在不断被刊登出来。坦率地说,从我们的角度看,大多数报道不准确这个事实,可能对我们反而是有用的。我们不会刻意去促成这种事,但——人们读到我们在买入 A、B、C 或者 X、Y、Z,而我们实际上并没有——你知道,那——我认为人们不应该因为看到报纸上写我们在买什么,就跟风去买股票。但如果他们真这么做了,他们迟早会吸取教训。也许报纸在不知道事实是什么的情况下写这类报道,最终也会吸取教训。但这是我们一直要面对的事,而且很可能还得继续面对下去。我得说,根据过往经验,如果你读到关于我们买入或卖出什么的消息,除非是来自我们向 SEC 或其他监管机构提交的报告,否则出错的可能性远远超过 50%——基于历史,我可以告诉你这个判断是对的——出错的可能性远远超过 50%。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, I would say, in the last two years maybe — I'm just approximating — I've probably seen reports in either The Wall Street Journal, or USA Today — maybe picked up by The Associated Press, or in The Herald, but in papers of some significance — I've probably seen stories that we were buying maybe any one of 10 companies in aggregate over that period of time. I would say a significant majority were erroneous. We don't correct the erroneous ones, because if we don't correct the erroneous ones — if we correct the erroneous ones, and don't say anything about the correct ones, in effect we're identifying the correct ones, too. So we will never comment on those stories, no matter how ridiculous they are. And it's interesting because, you know, they keep getting printed. And frankly, from our standpoint, the fact that most of them are inaccurate is probably useful to us. We don't do anything to encourage it, but it — the fact that people are reading that we are buying A, B, C, or X, Y, Z when we aren't — you know, that’s — I don't think people should be buying stocks because they're reading in the paper that we're buying something. But if they do, they may get cured of it at some point. Maybe the newspapers will even get cured of writing the stories when they don't know, you know, what the facts are. But it's something we live with, and we'll probably continue to live with. And I would say that based on history, if you read something about us buying or selling something, other than through reports we've filed with the SEC or regulatory bodies, the chances are well over 50 percent — that I can tell you, based on history, is correct — well over 50 percent that it's wrong.
伯克希尔不太可能成为道指或标普 500 成分股
Unlikely Berkshire will be a Dow or S&P 500 stock
沃伦·巴菲特是 3 区吗?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 3?
现场股东您预计伯克希尔会成为标普 500 指数或道琼斯指数的成分股吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERDo you expect that Berkshire will become one of the Standard & Poor 500 stocks, or a Dow Jones stock?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我认为它成为道琼斯指数成分股的可能性极小。我不清楚标普 500 的入选标准是什么,但我猜想有某种原因让我们不符合条件。我不知道他们是否对流通股数量有疑虑——我从来没向标普询问过。如果我们真的是市值最大却不在标普 500 指数里的公司,我也不会惊讶,虽然我对此并不确定。但他们可能有一些标准,导致伯克希尔无法被纳入。我一直觉得,对那些喜欢琢磨这类问题的人来说,这很有意思:如果我们被纳入标普 500,而足够多的人采用指数化投资,以至于市场上 60% 的资金都指数化了,同时查理和我都不卖股票(我们确实不会卖),那么指数基金想要复制标普 500,怎么才能凑齐那 60% 的持股,会是一个有趣的命题。那会是——我不知道他们有没有关于持股集中度的规则。同样的逻辑可能也适用于沃尔玛或某家公司。举个极端的例子:如果一家公司 90% 的股票由一个人持有,市场上有 12% 的资金指数化了,而那 90% 的持股人不卖,这就会重现“北太平洋角轧空”或类似的事件。无论如何,我认为这不会成为问题。而且我认为我们最终不会被纳入任何一个指数,所以——
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I think it's unlikely it ever becomes a Dow Jones stock. I don't know what the criteria are for the S&P 500. But I imagine there's some reason why we don't fit. I don't know whether they have questions about number of shares outstanding or — I've never checked with S&P. I wouldn't be surprised if we have the largest market capitalization of any company that isn't in the S&P, although I don't know that. But they may have some criteria that preclude Berkshire being part of it. I've always thought it would be very interesting, for those of you who like to think about such things, that if we were part of the S&P 500, and enough people became indexed so that 60 percent of the market was indexed, and if Charlie and I wouldn't sell, which we wouldn't, it'd be an interesting proposition as to how the index funds would ever get their 60 percent if they tried to replicate the S&P. It’d be — I don't know whether they have rules even about concentration of ownership. That same line of thinking might have applied to Walmart, or some company. Because just take the extreme example of a company that had 90 percent of its stock owned by one individual, and 12 percent of the money in the market were indexed, and the 90 percent wouldn't sell, it would bring back the Northern Pacific Corner or something of the sort. In any event, I don't think that's going to be a problem. And I don't think we are going to end up being in either index, so —
不了解企业时,应分散投资
Diversify if you don't understand businesses
沃伦·巴菲特好的,是 1 区吗?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, zone 1?
现场股东巴菲特先生,我叫亚伦·莫里斯,来自加州。我想知道,您是如何考虑在某一证券上愿意持有多大仓位的?在您这边,有持续流入的新资金可以投资;而对一般投资者来说,资本是固定的,他们需要决定在几个自己真正看好的证券中(听不清),把最多的资金投向哪一个?
AUDIENCE MEMBERMr. Buffett, my name is Aaron Morris (PH). I'm from California. What I wanted to know was how you think about how large a position you're willing to take in a given security, both in your case, where you have new cash coming in that you can invest, and in the case of an investor, where they have a fixed amount of capital, and they're trying to decide what's the most (inaudible) security that they really love?
沃伦·巴菲特这个嘛,查理和我——以我们目前的规模,我们很可能永远也找不到一个能让我们投进足够多资金的机会。查理,你不觉得这很可能是事实吗?如果我们确实很喜欢它?
WARREN BUFFETTWell, Charlie and I have — probably at our present size, we will never find anything that we get as much money into as we want. Don't you think that's probably true, Charlie? If we really like it?
查理·芒格是的,我觉得相当有可能。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah, I think that's quite likely.
沃伦·巴菲特是啊,所以我们很可能永远也碰不到持仓上限。我们倒是希望能碰到。我们渴望能找到让我们那么有信心的东西,偶尔也确实能找到。但我们就是没法投入像我们希望的那样的资金量,也做不到像在管理我们自己的 100 万美金那样的小资金时所能做的,所以——我们是愿意把大笔资金投入单一证券的。我在管理合伙基金的时候,单只股票的持仓上限大概到了 40%。查理,我想你在管理你的合伙基金时,有过单只持仓超过 40% 的情况——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, so we will probably never hit the limit. We would love to. We'd love to find something we felt that strongly about, and occasionally we do. But we won't get as much money into it as we would wish, or as if we were running a million dollars of our own money or some number like that, so — We are willing to put a lot of money into a single security. When I ran the partnership, the limit I got to was about 40 percent in a single stock. I think Charlie, when you ran your partnership, you had more than 40 percent in —
查理·芒格当然。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERSure. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特如果我们现在管理的是规模更小的合伙基金,或者我们自有资金规模较小且自己管理,我们也会采取同样的做法。因为,不,除非我们认为自己非常了解这家企业,并且认为这家企业的性质、我们买入的价格、管理层等所有这些因素加在一起,让风险几乎为零,否则我们不会那样做。不过——你偶尔就是能找到这样的机会。假设它远比第二、第三、第四选择有吸引力得多,我们会把净资产的很大一部分投进去。我们只建议你这么做——嗯,也许我们压根就不建议你这么做也不一定——但我们只会在这种情况下才建议你这样做,也就是你基于自己得出的价值判断,基于你确实认为自己足够了解它,以至于如果你的资金足够、而且有人把整个企业卖给你,你便会买下整家公司。你应当非常了解这门生意。可话又说回来,人们在私营小生意上一直都在这么做,而且很多私营生意前景还很糟糕。你想想,他们买下干洗店、加油站或者别的什么——某种特许经营店——把净资产中非常高的比例投进一个实质上风险很高的生意。要知道,就连把所有钱投进一座农场也是一门生意,它面临着各种商业风险。所以,如果你很懂那门生意,而且价格足够有吸引力,把净资产中非常大的比例投进去,并不疯狂。但如果你不了解企业,那最好还是去分散投资,而且要相当广泛地分散。那个区——请继续。抱歉。
WARREN BUFFETTAnd we would do the same thing if we were running smaller partnerships, or our own capital were smaller and we were running that ourselves. Because, no, we're not going to do that unless we think we understand the business very well, and we think the nature of the business, what we're paying for it, the people running it, and all of that lead up to virtually no risk, and — But you find those things, occasionally. And we would put — assuming it were that much more attractive than the second, and third, and fourth choices — we would put a big percentage of our net worth in it. We only advise you to do that — well, we probably don't advise you to do it all, maybe — but we would only advise you to do it, if you're doing it based on your conclusions about — your own ideas of value, and something that you really feel you know enough to buy the whole business, if your funds were sufficient, and it was being offered to you. You ought to really understand the business. But people do that all the time, incidentally, in private businesses, which have got terrible prospects. I mean, they buy dry cleaning establishments, or filling stations, or whatever, and they put very high —franchises of some kind — they put a very high percentage of their net worth into something — a business that's very risky, basically. I mean, it — People put all their money in a farm, you know. It's a business. It's subject to all kinds of business risk. So it's not crazy, if you understand the business well, and if the price is sufficiently attractive, to put a very significant percentage of your net worth in. If you don't understand businesses, then you're better off diversifying and fairly widely diversifying. Zone — go ahead. Sorry
查理·芒格伯克希尔有一位大股东,他父亲最初积累的仓位,去世时留下了一笔极为庞大的遗产,这笔遗产几乎全集中在两只证券上,一只是伯克希尔,另一只也是非常优秀的公司。某家银行是共同受托人。银行的信托主管说,你必须把这只投资组合分散出去。你知道,那是一笔非常大的遗产。和银行一起担任共同受托人的年轻人说:“嗯,如果我父亲的想法跟你一样,他可能就在银行里当一辈子信托主管了,而不是——” (笑声)“——留下了这么一大笔遗产。”(掌声)那位年轻人至今仍持有伯克希尔的股票。我猜那家银行到现在还在给同样的建议。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERBerkshire has a substantial shareholder whose father accumulated the original position, and when he died he left a very large estate, practically all of which was in two securities, Berkshire and one other outstanding company. A bank was co-trustee. And the bank trust officer said you've got to diversify this. And, you know, it was a very large estate. And the young man who was co-trustee with the bank said, "Well," he says, "you know, if my father believed the way you do, he might have been a trust officer in a bank instead of — (laughter) — leaving this large estate." (Applause) And that young man holds the Berkshire to this day. And I suppose the bank is still giving the same advice. (Laughter)
我们不喜欢在可口可乐问题上“给出我们的答案”
We don't like to "give you our answers" on Coca-Cola
沃伦·巴菲特第二区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2?
现场股东巴菲特先生,我是来自奥马哈的查克·彼得森(音)。我想知道您能否评论一下可口可乐公司——您今天确实没怎么提它——关于您对未来五年的展望、每股收益增长情况,以及这种增长可能从何而来。
AUDIENCE MEMBERMr. Buffett, this is Chuck Peterson (PH) from Omaha. And I was just wondering if you could comment on the Coca-Cola Company — you haven't really talked about it too much today — in regards to what you foresee over the next five years, the earnings per share growth, and where this growth is, perhaps, going to come from.
沃伦·巴菲特刚才那个问题是关于可口可乐的增长吗?
WARREN BUFFETTWas that the question, about the growth of Coke?
查理·芒格是的。
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah.
沃伦·巴菲特你真的必须自己得出结论。可口可乐公司写的年报极为出色——我的意思是,信息量非常大。我猜,至少,如果你读上几份年报,你对可口可乐公司的了解绝不会比我少。但最终,你得自己判断增长潜力、盈利潜力等等。不过有一点我可以向你保证:很可能,只要你花相对少量的时间在这上面,你在这个问题上做决策所掌握的事实,本质上将与你为可口可乐公司工作 20 年,或是当上华尔街的食品饮料分析师之类所获得的事实一样好。这就是我们喜欢关注的那类企业——那些我们认为自己能这样去理解的企业。而且我认为,这类企业通常也是你可以这样去理解的。但我们不想把我们的答案告诉你。我是说,那可不是什么好主意。
WARREN BUFFETTYou really have to come to your own conclusion. Coca-Cola Company writes — their annual reports are extremely good. I mean, they're very informative. You know, you — My guess is that, at least, if you read a few of the reports, you'd absolutely know as much about the Coca-Cola Company as I would. But in the end, you have to make your own decisions about growth potential, profitability potential, and all that. But the one thing I can assure you is that, probably, if you spend a relatively small amount of time on it, the facts that you will have available to you for making a decision on that question will be just as good, essentially, as the facts you'd get if you'd worked at the Coca-Cola Company for 20 years, or if you were a food and beverage analyst in Wall Street or anything of the sort. That's the kind of businesses we like to look at, are things that we think we can understand that way. And they're also businesses that, usually, I think you could understand that way. But we don't like you to give you our answers. I mean, that would not be a good idea.
安联交易“基本不赚不赔”
Allianz deal was "close to a wash"
沃伦·巴菲特3 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 3?
现场股东大卫——抱歉——来自德克萨斯州奥斯汀的大卫·斯瓦布(PH)。我有一个关于大约四年前发行的可转换债券的问题。如果你是一位老师,你认为这笔交易是好是坏,与赎回债券的成本相比,这些资金的使用效果如何?有什么想法?
AUDIENCE MEMBERDavid — I'm sorry — David Swab (PH) from Austin, Texas. I have a question pertaining to the convertible bonds that were outstanding for about four years. Any thoughts on, if you're a teacher, to grade if that was a good deal, bad deal, how the money was employed compared to the cost of getting out of the bonds? Any thoughts?
沃伦·巴菲特查理,什么?你听到了吗?
WARREN BUFFETTCharlie what? Did you get that?
查理·芒格他想知道,现在回头看,你觉得你和安联做的那笔交易对伯克希尔来说是不是一笔划算的交易。
CHARLIE MUNGERHe wants to know if you think, in retrospect, your deal with Allianz was a good deal for Berkshire.
沃伦·巴菲特不,我想说,如果在做安联交易的时候——那是一笔可转换股东息票债券——我就知道我现在所知道的一切,那么,我们当时还会做这笔交易吗?很可能差不多。当我们——当他赎回这些债券时,转股的债券相对较少。所以,从那个意义上讲,这确实算不上什么负面影响。但如果转股的债券更多——这本是很容易发生的——那显然就不那么好了,尤其是如果最终我们以 11,800 左右的价格卖出了大量股票的话。很难精确衡量我们当时拿到的 4 亿美元左右资金做了什么。因为资金是可互换的,把这 4 亿美元从其他资源中分离出来,去衡量有了这笔钱之后正面发生了什么,是很困难的。但我的猜测是,如果能把整手牌重打一次,发行这些债券可能只是一个小小的减分项。你怎么看,查理?
WARREN BUFFETTNo, I would say that if I knew everything at the time that we did the Allianz deal — which was a convertible shareholder coupon debenture — if I knew everything now — then — that I know now, would we have done it? Probably pretty close. We had relatively few bonds converted when we called — when he called them. And so — that — it really wasn't a negative in that sense. But if we'd had more — we could have easily had a lot more converted. And that would not have been so good, obviously, if we'd ended up selling a lot of stock at 11,800 or whatever it was. It's very hard to measure exactly what we did with the 400 million or so that we took in at the time. So, money being fungible, separating that 400 million from other resources to measure the — what happened on the plus side from having the money — is hard to do. But my guess is, if you could play the whole hand over again, it probably was maybe a tiny minus to have issued them. What do you think, Charlie?
查理·芒格这确实接近相互抵消。
CHARLIE MUNGERIt's certainly close to a wash.
沃伦·巴菲特是的。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah.
查理·芒格现在,你可以问问全美航空的事,那笔交易我们本该躲开的。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERNow, you could ask about USAir, and that is one we would have been well to duck. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特我得说查理跟那个决定毫无关系。(笑声)他直到我做完才知道这事。等他知道了,嗯。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTAnd I might say Charlie had nothing to do with that decision. (Laughter) He didn't even know about it till I did it. And when he knew about it, hmmm. (Laughter)
在买卖中,“规模是一种劣势”
"Size is a disadvantage" in buying and selling
沃伦·巴菲特1 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 1?
现场股东巴菲特先生,我是来自多伦多的乔·塞尔德万。关于伯克希尔那些非永久持有但规模很大——因此流动性差——的投资,考虑到市场对伯克希尔的高度关注,你在卖出时如何管理市场冲击?
AUDIENCE MEMBERMr. Buffett, I'm Joe Sirdevan from Toronto. With respect to Berkshire's non-permanent, but large — and therefore, illiquid — holdings, what is your strategy for managing market impact on sales, given the intense scrutiny that Berkshire's under by the market?
沃伦·巴菲特我也没听清。你听清了吗?
WARREN BUFFETTI didn't get that either. You get that?
查理·芒格我听不太清楚。
CHARLIE MUNGERI'm not hearing that very well.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,不知道是不是你离麦克风太近了——我们这边有点听不清。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, I don’t know whether you’re too close to the mic — we’re having a little trouble on that.
查理·芒格请说得再慢一点。
CHARLIE MUNGERSpeak a little more slowly.
沃伦·巴菲特或者让工作人员重复一下——你能重复一遍问题吗?
WARREN BUFFETTOr maybe the monitor can repeat that and — would you repeat the question?
现场股东抱歉。只是关于伯克希尔那些规模大、非永久持有、因此流动性差的持仓,我想知道,当你决定卖出部分持股时,考虑到市场对你的高度关注,你管理市场冲击的策略是什么?
AUDIENCE MEMBERSorry. Just with respect to Berkshire's large non-permanent holdings that are, therefore, illiquid, I'm just wondering what your strategy is for managing market impact when you do decide to sell portions of those holdings, given the intense scrutiny you're under?
沃伦·巴菲特对,问题是关于我们可能会卖出的标的,以及我们卖出时市场会作何反应。这得看情况。我的意思是,影响可能非常显著,也可能微乎其微。它取决于当时的市场状况,取决于我们是否可能以几笔大额大宗交易卖给某些机构,也取决于——你知道,也可能通过要约收购或类似的方式来完成卖出。所以,很难估量。但这确实是个劣势。规模是一种劣势,你的基本观点完全正确,买进和卖出都是如此。我们也不知道有什么办法可以绕过这一点。我们在预期中,也就是在考虑我们需要看到什么样的机会时,已经把它作为一个因素纳入进来了。而且我们——我们卖出的频率极低,所以这算不上一个毁灭性的负面因素,但它的确是我们无法回避、而你却不必面对的一个劣势。
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, question about the things we might sell, and what's going to happen to the market when we sell them. That depends. I mean, it can be a very significant impact. It can be a negligible impact. And it depends on market conditions, it depends on whether we might sell in a couple of large blocks to some institutions, it depends on — it could be, you know, there could be a tender off or something of the sort we would sell through. So, it's hard to measure. But it is a disadvantage. Size is a disadvantage, you're absolutely correct in the basic point, both in buying and in selling. And we don't know any way around that. We allow for it, in terms of what we expect, you know, the kind of possibilities we need to see. And we do — we sell so infrequently, that it's not a crusher of a negative point, but it's a negative we have that you do not.
巴菲特和芒格没有关键人保险
No key man insurance for Buffett and Munger
沃伦·巴菲特2 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2?
现场股东我叫安娜(听不清),来自弗吉尼亚州罗阿诺克。伯克希尔·哈撒韦或其任何子公司是否为您和芒格先生购买了关键人物保险?
AUDIENCE MEMBERMy name is Anna (inaudible). I'm from Roanoke, Virginia. Does Berkshire Hathaway or any of its subsidiaries have key man insurance on you and Mr. Munger?
查理·芒格伯克希尔是否有关键人物保险,保的是——
CHARLIE MUNGERDoes Berkshire have key man insurance on —
沃伦·巴菲特哦,没有。没有。据我所知,除了可能的那种标准团体寿险合同——人们通常买的那种,我们没有为任何人购买人寿保险。我们没有关键人保险。它其实不——不会有什么实质影响。我是说,如果我们的市值是 180 亿美元左右,如果它——如果它造成 1% 的差异,那就是 1.8 亿美元。而且,从本质上讲,聪明地卖出保险的数学原理比聪明地买入保险的数学原理更好。(笑声和掌声)
WARREN BUFFETTOh, no. No. We have no life insurance, to my knowledge, on anyone except the maybe standard — the group life contracts people have. We have no key man insurance. It really doesn't — it wouldn't be material. I mean, that if we have a market value of 18 billion or something like that, if it really didn’t — if it — a one — if it made a 1 percent difference, it'd be $180 million. And basically, the math of intelligently selling insurance is better than the math of intelligently buying insurance. (Laughter and applause)
健力士-VNMH 重组“合乎逻辑”
Guinness-VNMH restructuring was "logical"
沃伦·巴菲特3 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 3?
现场股东巴菲特先生,我是来自亚利桑那州梅萨的巴里·西斯金德(PH)。长期仰慕您。问题关于帝亚吉欧。我记得在一本我很尊敬的出版物上读到过,由纽约《杰出投资者文摘》的编辑亨利·爱默生撰写,说——我想是 58 年或 59 年——您曾在古巴做了一笔投资,然后决定再也不在美国以外做投资了。但后来您又投资了帝亚吉欧。我也是帝亚吉欧的投资者。我投资帝亚吉欧及其姊妹公司路易威登轩尼诗——已经超过五年了。顺便说一句,我对这些投资非常满意。如您所知,帝亚吉欧与 LVMH 的关系进行了重组,帝亚吉欧不再持有 LVMH 24% 的股份。相反,它只持有其蒸馏业务,或者我应该说,酒精饮料相关业务——
AUDIENCE MEMBERMr. Buffett, I'm Barry Siskind (PH) from Mesa, Arizona. Long-time admirer of yours. Question pertains to Guinness. I remember reading in a publication I greatly respect, Outstanding Investor Digest by [editor] Henry Emerson in New York, that back in — I think it was '58 or '59, you made an investment in Cuba, decided to never to make an investment outside the United States again at that time. Have subsequently invested in Guinness. I'm a fellow investor in Guinness. I've invested in Guinness for — and its sister company, Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy — for over five years. And I'm very happy with those investments, by the way. There's been a restructuring, as you know, of the Guinness-LVMH relationship, where Guinness no longer owns 24 percent of LVMH. Rather, it owns only its distilling, or I should say, alcoholic beverage-related businesses —
沃伦·巴菲特轩尼诗那部分。
WARREN BUFFETTThe Moët Hennessy part.
现场股东对,轩尼诗那部分。LVMH 的其他业务最近表现更好了,比如路易威登箱包,还有克里斯汀·迪奥香水。他们去年还进入了报业,一个您熟悉的行业。随着帝亚吉欧-LVMH 交易重组,您现在不再拥有那些业务了,您是否考虑通过其他形式参与其中?第二个问题涉及帝亚吉欧投资固有的汇率风险,您提到买入时大约 1.80 美元,英镑现在已跌至约 1.48 美元。通过外汇对冲货币风险的成本,由于英国利率下降和美国最近利率上升,已经几乎降到了零。我认为我们大家都是公司投资者,而不是货币投机者。所以,第二个问题是,您是否打算对该投资的汇率风险部分采取任何措施?
AUDIENCE MEMBERRight, the Moët Hennessy part. The other parts of LVMH are showing better results these days, namely the Louis Vuitton luggage, as well as the Christian Dior perfume. They've also expanded into the newspaper business this past year, a business that you understand. Do you intend to look at the possibility, first of all, of participating in those businesses that you no longer own now — with the restructured Guinness-LVMH deal — through some other form? And the second question relates to the currency risk inherent in the Guinness investment, having bought it at about $1.80, as you mentioned, pound sterling now down to about $1.48. The cost of hedging foreign currency through the FX has diminished through the combination of lower interest rates in the U.K., and higher interest rates, most recently in the U.S., to just about zero. I take it we're all investors in companies, not speculators in currencies. So, the second part of the question is, do you intend to do anything about the currency risk portion of that investment?
沃伦·巴菲特至于 LVMH,如你所说,健力士曾持有其 24% 的股份——你知道,那只是我们可能买入或卖出的数千种证券之一。所以,我真的不想评论 LVMH 具体是否具有吸引力,或者是否缺乏吸引力。而健力士,我认为健力士的做法相当合乎逻辑。我的意思是,它们对该业务的兴趣,基本上是通过其带来的分销优势,让健力士自己的品牌在全球范围内与酩悦·轩尼诗对接,反之亦然。所以,我认为它们的做法合乎逻辑。你可以——关于汇率以及所有那些问题——汇率方面,就它们在烈酒业务中得到的,相对于它们在箱包业务(比如克里斯汀·迪奥之类)中放弃的而言,你可以自己判断。但我认为逻辑是站得住脚的。至于我们是否想单独投资 LVMH,那就像其他任何证券一样,我们确实无法回答。
WARREN BUFFETTWell LVMH, which as you mentioned was 24 percent owned by Guinness — you know, that's one of thousands of securities that we could be a buyer or a seller of. So, I really don't want to comment on LVMH's specific attractiveness, or lack thereof. And Guinness, I think what Guinness did was quite logical. I mean, their interest in that operation was basically through the distribution advantages that it gave to Guinness's own brands around the world, to be hooked up with Moët Hennessy, and vice versa. So, I think what they did was logical. You can — the question of the exchange rate and all of that — the exchange rate, in terms of what they got in the spirits business, versus what they gave up in the luggage business, as in Christian Dior and a few things. You can form your own opinion on that. But I think the logic was sound. But in terms of whether we want to be in LVMH by itself, that's like any other security, which we really can't answer.
伯克希尔不对冲货币风险
Berkshire doesn't hedge currencies
沃伦·巴菲特第二个问题关于——
WARREN BUFFETTSecond question related to —
查理·芒格对冲。
CHARLIE MUNGERHedging.
沃伦·巴菲特对冲。是的,货币对冲——
WARREN BUFFETTHedge. Yeah, the hedging of currency —
查理·芒格我们做对冲吗?
CHARLIE MUNGERDo we hedge?
沃伦·巴菲特答案是,我们不这么做。而且,正如我提过的,可口可乐 80% 的盈利来自多种货币,日元和马克是其中非常重要的两种。五年后、十年后,这个比例会非常高。他们确实做一些外汇交易,但这只是实务操作。如果你拥有可口可乐,你就等于拥有一堆以外币计价、附有息票、永久存续的外国债券。那么,你是不是应该针对所有这些息票——可你还不知道那些息票是多少,因为你不知道他们在日本或德国能赚多少,但你知道这些盈利会持续几十年,而且金额会非常可观——你是不是应该做一大堆货币互换,把所有这些现金流都换成美元或其他货币?我们基本认为这不值得。我们不觉得我们对货币汇率的判断有多高明。我们不认为——我们认为市场可能知道——嗯,我们知道市场跟我们知道的一样多——它可能比我们更了解货币——但我们不知道——我们在货币方面并不比市场知道得多。所以对冲是有成本的。即使利率结构可能让远期曲线看起来平坦,实际上没有升水,但仍然有成本——其中是有成本的。现在,这是一个相对高效的市场,所以成本并不巨大。但我们认为没有任何理由去承担这些成本,因为这在我们看来完全是五五开的事情。而且这种对冲实际上也走不了那么远。我的意思是,我们可以做几年。但如果你用我们看待企业的方式——即从现在到世界末日之间未来现金流的折现——我们其实也没法对冲那种风险。我们可以持续滚动对冲,但这其中涉及我们不想承担的成本。我们不会特别担心盈利中有一部分——无论是来自健力士、可口可乐还是吉列——以马克、英镑、日元和美元这种混合货币计价,还是全部以美元计价。我们稍微更倾向于全部是美元,但我们不会因为可能来自这种混合货币而失眠。显然,如果是某些非常疲软的货币,我们当然不会喜欢。
WARREN BUFFETTThe answer to that is we don't. And Coca-Cola, as I mentioned, gets 80 percent of their earnings from a variety of currencies, the yen and the mark being two very important ones. They're going to be getting a very high percentage five years from now, 10 years from now. They do certain currency transactions, but it's a practical matter. If you own Coca-Cola, you own a bunch of foreign bonds with coupons on them, denominated in local currencies, that go on forever. Now, should you try and engage in currency swaps on all those coupons — you don't know what those coupons are yet, because you don't know how much they're going to earn in Japan or Germany, but you do know it's going to go on for decades, and it’s — they're going to be very significant sums. Should you try and engage in a whole bunch of currency swaps to go on out and convert all that stream into dollars or anything? We basically don't think it's worth it. We don't think our opinion on currencies is any good. We don't think — we think the market probably know — well, we know it knows as much about it — it probably knows more about currencies, but it — we don’t know — we do not know more than the market does about currencies. So there are costs to hedging. And even though interest rate structures may cause the curve to look flat going out forward, so that, in effect, there's no contango on it, there's still the cost — there are costs in it. Now, it's a relatively efficient market, so that they're not huge. But we see no reason to incur those costs with what we regard as a — totally, a 50-50 proposition. And it really doesn't go out that far anyway. I mean, we could do it for a couple of years. But if you take that — the way we look at businesses, being the discounted flow of future cash out between now and Judgment Day, we can't really hedge that kind of a risk anyway. We could keep rolling hedges, but there's a cost to it that we don't want to incur. We don’t — we wouldn't worry a whole lot about whether some portion of our earnings, whether it's from Guinness, whether it's from Coke, whether it's from Gillette, are denominated at some mixture of marks, and pounds, and yen, and dollars, or whether they're all in dollars. We'd slightly prefer if it were all in dollars, but we don't lose sleep over the fact that it may be coming from a mix of currencies like that. We wouldn't like it, in terms of, obviously, some very weak currencies.
保险的内在价值远超账面价值
Insurance intrinsic value far exceeds book value
沃伦·巴菲特一号区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 1?
现场股东劳伦斯·格劳宁(PH),来自加州米尔谷。在年报第 13 页,谈到保险业务时,您说它的内在价值超出账面价值“很多——实际上,超过伯克希尔的任何其他业务”。为了细化之前有人问过的问题,您能告诉我,您是指这个超出比例更大,还是绝对金额更大?
AUDIENCE MEMBERLawrence Grawning (PH), Mill Valley, California. On page 13 of the annual report, in — talking about the insurance operation, you say that it possesses an intrinsic value that exceeds its book value by a "large amount — larger, in fact, than is the case at any other Berkshire business." To refine an earlier question that was asked, could you tell me whether you mean that it is larger in — by a percentage or in absolute dollars, that is —
沃伦·巴菲特绝对金额。而且——
WARREN BUFFETTBy absolute dollars. And —
现场股东您指的是这个?
AUDIENCE MEMBERThat's what you're referring to?
沃伦·巴菲特是的,按绝对金额——很难给保险业务定一个百分比数字,因为我们在里面放了那么多资本——而且——我们还有其他业务。我认为——我们有些业务的账面价值只有数千万美元,但实际价值高达数亿美元。所以你不能把那套方法用在保险公司身上(听不清)。所以是看绝对金额。但就绝对金额而言,我们认为保险业务内在价值超出账面价值的部分——至少我是这么认为的——远远超过我们拥有的任何其他业务。查理,你有没有什么——
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, by absolute — it's very hard to stick a percentage figure on the insurance business, because we have so much capital in there that — And then — and we have other businesses. I think that the — we've got businesses with a book value of in the tens of millions that are worth in the many hundreds of millions. So, you couldn't apply that to the insurance company (Inaudible). So, it's absolute dollars. But in terms of absolute dollars, we think the excess of intrinsic value over carrying value — at least I do — is substantially greater for the insurance business than any other business we own. Charlie, do you have any —
查理·芒格没有——
CHARLIE MUNGERNo —
沃伦·巴菲特——想法?
WARREN BUFFETT— thoughts on that?
查理·芒格——完全正确。
CHARLIE MUNGER— that's exactly right.
不担心可口可乐的继任问题
No concerns on Coca-Cola succession
现场股东乔·利特尔(音),来自加拿大温哥华。可口可乐最高管理层的继任问题会困扰您吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERJoe Little (PH), Vancouver, Canada. Does the management succession issue for the top job at Coca-Cola concern you?
沃伦·巴菲特管理层的情况,你会怎么处理——?
WARREN BUFFETTManagement picture, you'd do what with the —?
现场股东未来几年的管理层继任问题。
AUDIENCE MEMBERThe management succession issue over the next several years.
沃伦·巴菲特哦,这个啊。
WARREN BUFFETTOh, yeah.
现场股东最高职位。这会困扰您吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERThe top job. Does that concern you?
沃伦·巴菲特可口可乐那边——
WARREN BUFFETTAt Coca-Cola —
现场股东是的。
AUDIENCE MEMBERYeah.
沃伦·巴菲特我觉得任何这方面的公告——都会来自可口可乐。
WARREN BUFFETTI think any announcement that — from that would come with — from Coca-Cola.
查理·芒格他问您喜不喜欢?
CHARLIE MUNGERHe said do you like it?
现场股东这会困扰您吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERDoes it concern you?
查理·芒格这会困扰您吗?
CHARLIE MUNGERDoes it concern you?
沃伦·巴菲特哦,我一点也不担心,不。不会,可口可乐管理得非常好。(笑)
WARREN BUFFETTOh, I'm not concerned at all, no. No, Coca-Cola is very well managed. (Laughs)
所罗门 CEO 的 2400 万美元奖金目标“极难达成”
Salomon CEO's $24M bonus target "hellishly hard to hit"
沃伦·巴菲特三区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 3?
现场股东克里斯·斯塔夫鲁(音),来自纽约。根据所罗门兄弟最新的委托书,如果[董事长兼 CEO]德里克[·莫恩]在所罗门兄弟的分配股本上获得 30% 的回报,且该回报至少超过竞争对手 10%,他就可以拿到 2400 万美元的奖金。我的问题是,那个回报数字是否扣除了优先股股息?
AUDIENCE MEMBERChris Stavrou (PH) from New York. According to the latest Salomon Brothers proxy, if [Chairman and CEO] Deryck [Maughan] earns 30 percent on allocated equity of Salomon Brothers, provided that that's at least 10 percent above the return for competitors, he could earn a bonus of $24 million. My question is whether that return number is reduced by a charge for preferred dividends?
沃伦·巴菲特这个,查理,你记得薪酬委员会的事吗——
WARREN BUFFETTI, Charlie, do you remember on the comp committee —?
查理·芒格我记不清那个细节了。
CHARLIE MUNGERI can't remember the detail on that.
沃伦·巴菲特我认为那个股本——我——我的——我相当确定,但不完全肯定,股本数字会包括我们的优先股,但不包括不可转换优先股。而且它适用于归属于我们优先股加普通股的盈利——但不包括——但会是扣除不可转换优先股股息后的数字。不过,你知道,我不在薪酬委员会里,也没仔细读过那份描述文件。
WARREN BUFFETTI think the equity — I — my — I'm fairly sure, but I'm not positive, that the equity figure would include our preferred, but not non-convertible preferreds. And it would apply to the earnings applicable to the — to our preferred plus common, but not — but it would be after dividends on non-convertible preferred. But I, you know, I'm not on the comp committee, and I have not read the description that carefully.
查理·芒格嗯,可我在,但我也记不住了。(笑声)但我要告诉你们,关于这件事我确实记得一点:那个目标即便达成一个,也是极难达成的。
CHARLIE MUNGERWell, I am, and I can't remember. (Laughter) But I will tell you, one thing I do remember about that, and that is a target which would be one — would be hellishly hard to hit.
沃伦·巴菲特会难以置信。我是说——
WARREN BUFFETTIt'd be unbelievable. I mean —
查理·芒格就是说,你们在谈论的是贝比·鲁斯——
CHARLIE MUNGERThat's is, you're talking about Babe Ruth —
沃伦·巴菲特的平方。
WARREN BUFFETTSquared.
查理·芒格是的,一个赛季打出 150 个本垒打,而不是——如果真发生了,你会非常乐意付钱。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERYeah, doing 150 home runs in a season instead of a — if that happens, you'll be very glad to pay the money. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特非常乐意。不管按哪种方式算,都是。那个目标确实——但你知道,我很高兴它摆在那里。(笑)我希望德里克把这事放在心上。
WARREN BUFFETTVery. Under either calculation, yeah. It really — but it, you know, I'm glad it's there. (Laughs) I hope Deryck's paying attention to it.
所罗门是“一家比几年前更好的公司”
Salomon is a "better company than it was some years back"
沃伦·巴菲特一区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 1?
现场股东你好,我是克里斯·戴维斯,还是从纽约来。我想问您——我觉得您持有的一些资产与另一些之间,在市场估值上存在巨大差异,比如市盈率、市净率。在你看来,所罗门兄弟的增长前景,或者说它的质地——或者说你预期自己从所罗门兄弟那里剪息票的能力——与我们作为伯克希尔股东从可口可乐或吉列剪息票的能力相比,是否足以证明它存在如此巨大的折价?你能不能解释一下,或者分享一下你的想法,如果市场确实是那么看的,那么这种区别对待的道理何在?
AUDIENCE MEMBERHi, I’m Chris Davis again, from New York. I wanted to ask if you — I feel there's such a huge discrepancy between the valuation of some of your holdings versus others, in terms of the market valuation, in terms of price-to-earnings, price-to-book. In your opinion, do the growth prospects of Salomon Brothers, or the quality — or your anticipation of your ability to clip the coupons at Salomon Brothers — justify such a dramatic discount to the growth prospects of Coca-Cola or Gillette, in terms of our ability as Berkshire shareholders to clip those coupons? And if you could explain, or perhaps share your thoughts on why the market perception, if it is — justifies that distinction?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我不太确定能否回答这个问题,因为一旦回答,就免不了要讨论您提到的这两家——或者说这三家——公司在当前价位上的相对优劣,但是——所罗门和可口可乐显然是截然不同的两种生意,所罗门和吉列也是。查理和我都尽力去理解这些生意。显然,理解可口可乐的未来比理解所罗门的未来要容易。但这不代表可口可乐就是更好的买入标的。而且,你在任何一个时点看到的我们的持仓,部分甚至源于历史偶然,比如我们买入的时机、当时是否有可用资金等。不过,那显然也代表了在当时那个时点的肯定决策。我们大概可以这么说——你知道,对于我们持有的任何东西,基于买入时的价格和当时已知的事实,我们都会觉得相当满意。而事实会随着时间变化。我认为所罗门如今比几年前是一家更好的公司。但它所处的行业,仍然可能波动剧烈,而且它——和任何投资银行、任何商业银行一样——都带有少量系统性风险。我是说,这一点你没法消除。查理,你想说点什么吗?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, I'm not sure I can answer that question without getting into a discussion of the relative merits of the two companies — or the three companies — you mentioned, at these prices, but — Salomon and Coca-Cola are obviously very different kinds of businesses, or Salomon and Gillette. And Charlie and I do our best to try to understand the businesses. Obviously, it's easier to understand the future of a Coca-Cola than it is a Salomon. But that doesn't mean it's a better buy. And what you see at any given time in our holdings is partly the historical accident, even, of when we bought, and when we had money available, and all that. But it reflected an affirmative decision at that point, obviously. Our guess would be that the — you know, we would feel reasonably good about anything that we owned, in terms of the price at which we bought it, and the facts at the time we bought it. And the facts change over time. Salomon, I think, is a better company now than it was some years back. But it's still in a business that’s — can be very volatile, and it has a small amount — as does any investment banking firm and as any commercial banking firm — of systemic risk. I mean, you can't get rid of that. Charlie, you want to?
查理·芒格没有,我没什么要补充的。
CHARLIE MUNGERNo, I've got nothing to add.
计算内在价值
Calculating intrinsic value
沃伦·巴菲特2 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2?
现场股东谢谢。我是肖恩·巴里,来自加拿大里贾纳。巴菲特先生,您曾表示,在座大多数人都能通过年报获得您和查理获得的大部分信息。但您俩也指出,GAAP 准则很多时候都不尽如人意。您能否大致说明一下,您和查理是如何得出你们最终决定投资的企业的经济价值或内在价值的?以及你们在这个过程中大致会经历哪些步骤?谢谢。
AUDIENCE MEMBERThank you. Sean Barry, Regina, Canada. Mr. Buffett, you've indicated that most of us in this room could acquire a lot of the information that you and Charlie acquire through the annual reports. Yet you both also indicated that the GAAP rules, a lot of times, leave a little to be desired. Could you perhaps give an indication as to how you and Charlie come up with the economic value, or the intrinsic value, of the businesses that you finally decide to invest in? And a little bit about the process that you go through with that? Thank you.
沃伦·巴菲特嗯——在 1992 年的年报里,我们对这个问题着墨不少。任何资产的经济价值,本质上都是该企业未来所有现金流入和流出的现值,按合适的利率折现。有好多生意,查理和我都认为,我们压根不知道它们未来的现金流会是什么样子。而如果我们压根不知道未来的现金流会是什么样子,那我们现在也就压根不知道它值多少钱。所以,如果你认为自己知道某只股票今天应该值多少钱,但又觉得自己对未来 20 年的现金流毫无概念,那你大概就是遇到了他们所说的认知失调。(笑声)所以,我们寻找的是这样的东西——我们能在比较高的概率上,对未来一段时期的这些数字得出一个区间判断,然后再折现回来。我们更在意这些数字的确定性,而不是去抓那个看起来最便宜的标的,但那些数字我们根本——我们没有太大的信心。这基本上就是经济价值的全部要义。任何会计报告里的数字,就其本身而言,对经济价值毫无意义。它们是指南,告诉你一些能帮助你把握经济价值的东西。但它们本身不会直接告诉你什么。财务报告里没有现成的答案。它们是指南,帮助你算出答案。而要算出答案,你必须对生意有所了解。你不需要精通数学。我是说,数学本身并不复杂。但你确实得对生意有所理解。这跟你打算买一栋公寓楼、一座农场,或者任何其他你可能感兴趣的小生意时要做的事情别无二致。你会尝试弄清楚你现在要投入多少,随着时间的推移你大概能收回多少,你对自己能收回这些回报有多大把握,以及这相比其他选择又如何。我们做的就是这些,只不过我们做的是大生意。会计数据对我们很有帮助,因为它们通常能指引我们该去思考哪些问题。当然,如果我们发现一些数字,看起来有人根据公认会计原则等规则,在尽可能做最乐观的解读,那我们就会对任何似乎以某种方式粉饰数字的人高度警惕。而且这么做的人比比皆是。
WARREN BUFFETTWell, the — in the 1992 annual report, we discuss that a fair amount. But the economic value of any asset, essentially, is the present value, the appropriate interest rate, of all the future streams of cash going in or out of the business. And there are all kinds of businesses that Charlie and I don't think we have the faintest idea what that future stream will look like. And if we don't have the faintest idea what the future stream is going to look like, we don't have the faintest idea what it's worth, now. Now that — So, if you think you know what the price of a stock should be today, but you don't think you have any idea what the stream of cash will be over the next 20 years, you've got cognitive dissonance, I guess, is what they call it. (Laughter) The — So we are looking for things where we feel — fairly high degree of probability — that we can come within a range of looking at those numbers out over a period of time, and then we discount them back. And we are more concerned with the certainty of those numbers than we are with getting the one that looks absolutely the cheapest, but based upon numbers that we don't have any — we don’t have great confidence in. And that's basically what economic value is all about. The numbers in any accounting report mean nothing, per se, as to economic value. They are guidelines to tell you something about how to get at economic value. But they don't tell you anything. It — there are no answers in the financial statements. There are guidelines to enable you to figure out the answer. And to figure out that answer, you have to understand something about business. You don't have to understand a lot about mathematics. I mean, the math is not complicated. But you do have to understand something about the business. But that's the same thing you would do if you were going to buy an apartment house, or a farm, or any other small business you might be interested in. You would try to figure out what you are laying out currently, and what you are likely to get back over time, and how certain you felt about getting it, and how it compared to other alternatives. That's all we do, we just do it with large businesses, basically. The accounting figures are very helpful to us, in the sense that they generally guide us to what we should be thinking about. And of course, if we find numbers where it looks like people are taking the most optimistic interpretation of things that they can under GAAP and all of that, we get very worried about people who look like they massage the numbers in any way. And there are plenty of people that do.
仅靠增长并不能让一家公司成为好的投资标的
Growth alone doesn't make a company a good investment
沃伦·巴菲特3 区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 3?
现场股东我是霍华德·巴斯克(音),来自堪萨斯城。当你们估算一家公司的增长率时(听不清),一家非常可预测的公司,我猜想你们会给出很高的安全边际。你们通常会用什么样的增长率?我是说,高个位数吗?
AUDIENCE MEMBERI'm Howard Bask (PH). I'm from Kansas City. When you are estimating a growth rate on a company (inaudible), a very predictable company, I imagine you apply a big margin of safety to it. What kind of rate do you generally apply? I mean, high single digits?
沃伦·巴菲特在安全边际里,还是——
WARREN BUFFETTIn the margin of safety, or —
现场股东对一家可预测的公司,你们可能会用什么样的增长率——
AUDIENCE MEMBERWhat kind of growth rate would you, on a predictable company, might you —
沃伦·巴菲特我们愿意——
WARREN BUFFETTWe are willing to —
现场股东——来估一个数?
AUDIENCE MEMBER— stab at?
沃伦·巴菲特——买入根本不增长的公司。
WARREN BUFFETT— buy companies that aren't going to grow at all.
现场股东好的。
AUDIENCE MEMBEROK.
沃伦·巴菲特前提是——这样做的时候,我们付出的资金能换来足够好的回报。所以,我们不是在寻找——我们会往外推算数字,思考我们认为随着时间的推移能收回怎样的现金。但你知道,比如你打算把 100 万美元存进一个储蓄账户,你是愿意选一个每年付你 10% 利息且利率永远不变的账户,还是愿意选一个每年只付你 2% 利息,但利息每年递增 10% 的账户?嗯,你可以自己算一算来回答这个问题。但肯定会有这样一种情况:某家企业完全没有增长,却是一笔更好的投资,远比某家将高速增长的公司更好,尤其是如果后者需要投入资本才能实现增长。需要大量资本才能增长的业务,与增长却不需要资本的业务,两者之间存在巨大差异。我想说,总的来说,金融分析师对这种差异的重视程度不足。事实上,人们对此关注之少,令人惊讶。相信我,如果你在做投资,你就该对此高度重视。查理?
WARREN BUFFETTIt — assuming we get enough for our money when we do it. So, it — we are not looking — we are looking at projecting numbers out, as to what kind of cash we think we'll get back over time. But you know, would you rather have a savings — if you're going to put a million dollars in a savings account, would you rather have something that paid you 10 percent a year and never changed, or would you rather have something that paid you 2 percent a year and increased at 10 percent a year? Well, you can work out the math to answer those questions. But you can certainly have a situation where there's absolutely no growth in the business, and it's a much better investment than some company that's going to grow at very substantial rates, particularly if they're going to need capital in order to grow. There's a huge difference in the business that grows and requires a lot of capital to do so, and the business that grows, and doesn't require capital. And I would say that, generally, financial analysts do not give adequate weight to the difference in those. In fact, it's amazing how little attention is paid to that. Believe me, if you're investing, you should pay a lot of attention to it. Charlie?
查理·芒格我同意。这事道理相当简单,但也没简单到能用一句话解释清楚。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERI agree with that. But it's fairly simple, but it's not so simple it can all be explained in one sentence. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特我们全资拥有的企业里,有些最优秀的公司本身并不增长。但它们能产生大量现金,我们可以用来收购别的东西。因此,即便企业本身没有物理层面的增长,我们的资本也在增长。相比那些自身在增长、却把全部资金都吞噬掉才能维持增长、而且自始至终无法产生高回报的企业,我们更愿意处于这种状态。实际上,很多管理层并不太理解这一点。
WARREN BUFFETTOur — some of our best businesses that we own outright don't grow. But they throw off lots of money, which we can use to buy something else. And therefore, our capital is growing, without physical growth being in the business. And we are much better off being in that kind of situation [than] being in some business that, itself, is growing, but that takes up all the money in order to grow, and doesn't produce at high returns as we go along. A lot of managements don't understand that very well, actually.
资本配置不应委派他人
Capital allocation shouldn't be delegated
沃伦·巴菲特第一区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 1?
现场股东拜伦·韦恩,来自纽约。您之前说运营决策是下放的,资本配置决策是集中的。你们在奥马哈有什么样的团队,来协助做资本配置决策和选股决策?还是说,您和查理基本上是自己来做?
AUDIENCE MEMBERByron Wien from New York. You said that you decentralized the operating decisions, but centralized the capital allocation decisions. What kind of staff do you have in Omaha to help you with the capital allocation decisions and the stock selection decisions you make? Or do you and Charlie do that, pretty much, by yourselves?
沃伦·巴菲特是的,我们没有任何员工来帮忙。我的意思是,基本上我们让他们把所有钱都寄到奥马哈——(笑声)——然后等钱到了,我们就把它搂在怀里。(笑)我们自己配置所有资本。我是说,那是我们的工作。而且我们觉得不应该授权,我是说,无论如何我们都不会那样做。我们的性格不是那种会把分配自己钱的事授权给别人——让别人替我们分配自己的钱。我们觉得那是我们的工作。而且这很有趣,我——我以前写过这个——对大多数管理层来说,这是一项重要的工作。有些公司不是这样,但通常这对大多数管理层来说是一项非常重要的工作。如果你找一个当了 10 年 CEO 的人,他的企业净资产收益率是 12%,他——他支付了三分之一作为股息,这意味着他每年有 8% 的净资产增长。我是说,当你想想他的任期,他配置了多少资本,随着时间的推移,这是一个巨大的因素。然而,可能相对较少的首席执行官是经过资本配置能力的训练,或基于此被选上的。我是说,他们是通过其他途径走到这个位置的。所以,我说过,这就像一个人弹了一辈子钢琴,然后到了卡内基音乐厅,他们递给他一把小提琴。我是说,这与大多数公司里通向 CEO 职位道路上的大多数人——的职能——是不同的职能。所以很多 CEO 到了那个位置,以为他们可以通过让员工来做,或者雇顾问,或者诸如此类的办法来解决。在我们看来,那是——那是一个可怕的错误,因为对于大约 80% 或 90% 的公司来说,如果这不是 CEO 的核心职能,那也是两三个核心职能之一。如果你自己做不到,你会犯很多错误。即使你自己做,你可能也会犯很多错误。但如果你——你知道,你不会希望公司在任何其他同等重要的职位上,有人本质上说,“我不知道怎么做,所以我让别人来做”,而这是他的关键职责。但现实中的商业运作就是这样。查理和我对所有资本配置决策负责,除了运营企业里那种常规性支出。那些我们完全不插手。我是说,如果我们的经理一年花三四百万美元买机器——或者如果其中一个这样做了,我是说——用于机器、设备、工厂、新租约——我们没有任何审查流程。我们在总部没有员工。我们不会浪费时间去做那事。我们认为那些人知道如何配置与他们业务实际运营相关的资金。我们认为,除了这些之外产生的资本,那是我们的工作。查理,有什么要说的吗——?
WARREN BUFFETTYeah, we don't have any staff to help us on it. I mean, basically we tell them to mail all the money to Omaha — (laughter) — and then when we get there, we put our arms around it. (Laughs) And we allocate all the capital ourselves. I mean, that is our job. And we don't feel we should delegate, I mean, we wouldn't do it anyway. Our personalities aren't such that we would delegate our — allocating our own money to someone — letting somebody else allocate our own money. But we feel that's our job. And it's interesting, and we’ve — I've written about this in the past — that that's an important job for most managements. There's some companies where it's not, but it’s a — it usually is a very important job for most managements. And if you take a CEO that's in a job for 10 years, and he has a business that earns, say, 12 percent on equity, and he’s — and he pays out a third, that means he's got 8 percent per year of equity. I mean, when you think of his tenure in office, how much capital he's allocated, it's an enormous factor over time. And yet, probably relatively few chief executives are either trained for, or are selected on, the basis of their ability to allocate capital. I mean, they get there through other routes. So, I've said it's like somebody playing the piano all their life, and then getting to Carnegie Hall and they hand him a violin. I mean, it is a different function than most — than the route — than the functions that exist along the routes to the CEO's job at most companies. And so many CEOs, when they get there, think they can solve it by either having a staff that does it, or by hiring consultants, or whatever it may be. And in our view, that is — and that's a terrible mistake, because it’s — it is, if not the key function of the CEO, it's one of two or three key functions at say 80 or 90 percent of all companies. And if you can't do it yourself, you're going to make a lot of mistakes. You may make a lot of mistakes even if you do it yourself. But if you — You know, you wouldn't want anybody in any other position of that importance in the company essentially saying, "I don't know how to do this, so I'm going to have somebody else do it," when it's their key responsibility. But that's the way it works in business. And Charlie and I take responsibility for all capital allocation decisions, other than just, sort of, routine expenditures at the operating businesses. And we don't get into those at all. I mean, if our managers are spending three or four million dollars a year on machinery — or if one of them is, I mean — on machinery, equipment, plants, new leases — we have no review process on that. We don't have a staff at headquarters. We don't waste the time to do that. We think those people know how to allocate the money that relates to the actual operations of their business. We think, in terms of the capital that is generated above that, that that's our job. Charlie, anything —?
查理·芒格要我说,我们在奥马哈的总部基本没人。沃伦之所以这么出色,原因之一,你知道,就是因为他几乎没人在身边可以比较。(笑声)
CHARLIE MUNGERI would say we have practically nobody at headquarters in Omaha. One of the reasons Warren shines up so well is, you know, he's being compared to practically nobody. (Laughter)
沃伦·巴菲特我补充一点,比如说,我们现在开这个会,挺有意思的,办公室里大概只有一个人。我是说,其他人都下来帮忙开会了。我是说……
WARREN BUFFETTI might say if — one interesting — when we're having this meeting, for example, I think there's one person there in the office. I mean, the rest of them are down here helping on the meeting. I mean, it —
查理·芒格你看看,我和沃伦在这儿卖糖果、卖百科全书之类的。伯克希尔·哈撒韦的首席财务官在帮忙递麦克风。我是说,这让西南航空看上去简直不懂……
CHARLIE MUNGERHere we are, Warren and I are selling candy and encyclopedias, and so forth. The chief financial officer of Berkshire Hathaway is handling the microphones. I mean, this makes Southwest Airlines look like they don't understand —
沃伦·巴菲特……成本控制。(笑声)
WARREN BUFFETTCost control. (Laughter)
查理·芒格……没错,成本核算。我们这儿是非常老派的地方。顺便提一句,既然说到推销我们的商品,如果你们谁的保险箱里塞满了伯克希尔·哈撒韦的股票凭证,而子女或孙辈家里却没有一套纸质版的《世界百科全书》,那你们可就犯了个大错。那套书放在家里是非常好的东西,家里……
CHARLIE MUNGER— cost accounting, yeah. It's a very old-fashioned place. And by the way, speaking of hawking our merchandise, if any of you have safety deposit boxes full of Berkshire Hathaway certificates, and have children or grandchildren who don't have World Book in print in the house, you are making a very serious error. That is a marvelous thing for — to have in the house with —
沃伦·巴菲特而且折扣只适用于……
WARREN BUFFETTAnd the discount only applies —
查理·芒格……家里都是年轻人。
CHARLIE MUNGER— full of young people.
沃伦·巴菲特折扣只限今天(笑),顺带说一句。应该是这样。
WAWRREN BUFFETTThe discount only applies today — (laughs) — incidentally. I think that's right.
查理·芒格没错。我意思是,可能因为现在流行用电脑看百科,这套书卖得不是特别好。顺带说一句,市面上能买到的那些电脑百科,质量都比不上《世界百科全书》,这本书对孩子非常友好,我自己也很喜欢这种编排方式。还有……
CHARLIE MUNGERIt is. That is, it may not be selling too well because of the current vogue for encyclopedias on computers. And by the way, those encyclopedias that are available are inferior compared to World Book, which is very user-friendly for children, and I like it that way myself. And —
沃伦·巴菲特我们……
WARREN BUFFETTWe —
查理·芒格那是一款你确实应该买的产品。
CHARLIE MUNGERThat is one product you really ought to buy.
沃伦·巴菲特我们俩都在用,自己用。我是说,我办公室放一套,家里也放一套。我还——
WARREN BUFFETTWe both use it, personally. I mean, I keep a set at the office, and a set at home. And I —
查理·芒格我送出去的那款产品——
CHARLIE MUNGERI give away more of that product —
沃伦·巴菲特——我用得非常多。
WARREN BUFFETT— I use it a lot.
查理·芒格——比我送出的伯克希尔·哈撒韦任何子公司生产的其他产品都多。这简直是一项了不起的人类成就。编辑出这么一件东西,做到——如此方便好用,还囊括了那么多智慧。这是一件——相当了不起的东西。
CHARLIE MUNGER— than other product that Berkshire Hathaway makes in any subsidiary. It's a perfectly fabulous human achievement. To edit a thing, to — that user friendly, with that much wisdom encapsulated. It is a — it's a fabulous thing.
凯恩斯:关于投资的伟大“智慧”
Keynes: Great "wisdom" about investing
沃伦·巴菲特第二区?
WARREN BUFFETTZone 2?
现场股东(听不清)来自得克萨斯州休斯顿。您经常引用英国经济学家约翰·梅纳德·凯恩斯。所以,我猜您应该很深入地读过他的投资著作。依您看,我们能从这位经济学家身上学到哪两三个投资教训?
AUDIENCE MEMBER(Inaudible) from Houston, Texas. From time to time, you have quoted John Maynard Keynes, the British economist. So, I would assume that you have read the investment writings very extensively. What are two or three investment lessons, in your opinion, one can learn from that economist?
沃伦·巴菲特嗯,我忘了是哪一章,我想是《通论》第八章,查理你记得吗?还是第——
WARREN BUFFETTWell, I forget which, I think it's chapter eight of “The General Theory,” do you remember Charlie? Or is it chapter —
查理·芒格不记得。
CHARLIE MUNGERNo.
沃伦·巴菲特《通论》里有一章讲的是市场、市场心理、市场参与者的行为等等,这一章也许——除了本·格雷厄姆《聪明的投资者》里的那两章,也就是第八章和第二十章之外——我觉得你从它里面能得到的智慧,不亚于任何投资著作。你在《通论》里读到它的时候,自然就会认出来。那是一章关于证券之类、会让你眼前一亮的内容。我——可能是第八章,但我可能记错了。不过我建议你去读一读。凯恩斯和格雷厄姆,从截然不同的起点出发,却在 30 年代差不多同一时期,对长期最稳健的投资方法得出了相同的结论。他们在分散投资的看法上有些分歧。凯恩斯所认同的分散程度远低于格雷厄姆。但凯恩斯一开始的理论是错的,我可以说,他 20 年代基本是在试图预测市场中的商业周期,后来到 30 年代转向了企业的基本面分析,并且做得极为出色。差不多在同一时期,格雷厄姆正在撰写他最早的那批著作。我想珍妮特·洛在她那本关于本·格雷厄姆的书里,确实收录了一些凯恩斯和本之间的通信。所以我建议你去读读那本书。另外,凯恩斯——也就是凯恩斯本人——写给一些人寿保险协会和大学等机构的共同受托人的一些信件,我想你也会觉得很有意思。
WARREN BUFFETTThere's one chapter in “The General Theory” that relates to markets, and the psychology of markets, and the behavior of market participants and so on, that probably is, aside from Ben Graham's two chapters, eight and 20, in “The Intelligent Investor” — I think you'll find you'll get as much wisdom from reading that as anything written in investments. And you'll know it when you see it in “The General Theory.” It's a chapter that jumps out to you about securities and so on. And I — could be chapter eight, but I may be wrong on that. But I would recommend reading that. Keynes and Graham, from vastly different starting points, came to the same conclusion at about the same time in the '30s, as to the soundest way to invest over time. They differed some on their ideas on diversification. Keynes believed in diversifying far less than did Graham. But Keynes started off with the wrong theory, I would say, in the '20s and essentially tried to predict business cycles in markets, and then shifted to fundamental analysis of businesses in the '30s, and did extremely well. And about the same time, Graham was writing his first material. I think Janet Lowe, in her book on Ben Graham, actually has a little correspondence that took place between Keynes and Ben. So I would advise you to read that. And there's some letters of his that he — of Keynes' — that he wrote to co-trustees of life insurance societies, and colleges, and so on, that I think you'd find interesting, too.